Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Help, please with installing Operating System

OP reed930

26th November 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
I successfully rooted my phone yesterday. While trying to get tethering to work, I somehow corrupted the operating system. In one of my more spastic moves, while trying to get things working again, I managed to erase the entire operating system. The only thing I have on the phone now is unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery.

I tried reinstalling the latest Sprint RUU through both adb and SD card. No luck, I get error messages each time. And whenever I try to boot normally, the phone freezes with a white screen and HTC logo until the battery runs out. Any ideas what can be done, or is the phone dead? Thanks for any help.
26th November 2014, 03:27 AM   |  #2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 468

1,250 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed930

I successfully rooted my phone yesterday. While trying to get tethering to work, I somehow corrupted the operating system. In one of my more spastic moves, while trying to get things working again, I managed to erase the entire operating system. The only thing I have on the phone now is unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery.

I tried reinstalling the latest Sprint RUU through both adb and SD card. No luck, I get error messages each time. And whenever I try to boot normally, the phone freezes with a white screen and HTC logo until the battery runs out. Any ideas what can be done, or is the phone dead? Thanks for any help.

Download a ROM on your PC (ViperOne is my favorite) and put it onto your external sd card. With your phone off, hold down the power button + vol down. This will take you to fastboot. From there, using the volume keys, navigate to hboot and press the volume button. then navigate to recovery, and press volume. You should be able to flash the ROM from there.

EDIT: If the phone is on, hold power+ vol up to force the phone to reboot (takes 20 seconds or so), then AS SOON AS THE SCREEN GOES BLACK, slide you finger from vol up to vol down. Then follow the steps from there.
Last edited by xunholyx; 26th November 2014 at 03:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thanks very much. I'm downloading the Venom ROM right now. Just a couple of questions though. Do I have to update the firmware before loading the Venom ROM? If so, can you explain how? Second, from your instructions, I can't tell if I'm installing the ROM directly from bootloader or through TWRP? Thanks again.
26th November 2014, 04:41 AM   |  #4  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 468

1,250 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed930

Thanks very much. I'm downloading the Venom ROM right now. Just a couple of questions though. Do I have to update the firmware before loading the Venom ROM? If so, can you explain how? Second, from your instructions, I can't tell if I'm installing the ROM directly from bootloader or through TWRP? Thanks again.

Firstly, you should use the reply function on a post if you want a response. That way the person you are responding to will get a notification. I just kinda stumbled back onto this thread.
What was your firmware before? Chances are you'll need new firmware if you are asking. If you go to hboot/fastboot, it will tell you under OS. If it is blank, it will be because your recovery is outdated and we can tell by the hboot number. 3.16=4.4.2 ~3.18=4.4.3 ~ 3.19=4.4.4. The OS number would be more useful though.
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thank you so much. It was a piece of cake, and the Venom ROM is so much nicer than stock. I can't believe I spent hours trying to unsuccessfully flash the stock ROM when I could have upgraded to Venom so easily. And also thank you for your recommendation of the Venom ROM. It keeps what I like about Sense but is a much nicer experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to reed930 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread