Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Update Viperone M8 from 1.8 to 2.3.0?

Tip us?

KSmooove
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Update Viperone M8 from 1.8 to 2.3.0?

Hi guys, i'm currently on viperone m8 and i would like to upgrade to 2.3.0.

However, i don't want to lose all my apps, data, messages, etc. anyway to update without losing ANYTHING or changing anything in specific liek background wallpapers, ringtones, (custom settings)?

I'm new to all this and any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,618
You can dirty flash. Just flash the rom without wiping anything. But if you have any issues at all after, the first thing people will say is to do full wipes and flash it clean.

Some say not to do that from your version to the newest, but others have said they did without issue.

A better way, in my mind... Is to backup your user apps with titanium backup. And restore them after. Just don't wipe internal SD in recovery... Or all your stuff, and the titanium backup will be gone. You can use sms backup from plsystore to backup sms messages only. TB will do this too... Tho I've personally never tried it. You will have to redo your system setup... Sounds wallpapers, cosmetic changes, etc.

If you use something like Nova launcher, you can backup then restore with titanium backup and all your home screens will be the same after too.

Don't restore system apps.... Never a good idea.

I'd start with the dirty flash, and hopefully you have no issues. But do a titanium backup anyway to be safe. And sms backup.

And no matter what you do.... Don't wipe your internal SD... Or all is lost. And do a nandroid backup before anything. Just in case. 👍

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

And the best way to keep pics and anything your downloaded on the phone safe .... Is to transfer or copy them to your computer.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agentbardall
Old
(Last edited by agentbardall; 4th September 2014 at 10:47 AM.) Reason: making clear both ways use s-off
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSmooove View Post
Hi guys, i'm currently on viperone m8 and i would like to upgrade to 2.3.0.

However, i don't want to lose all my apps, data, messages, etc. anyway to update without losing ANYTHING or changing anything in specific liek background wallpapers, ringtones, (custom settings)?

I'm new to all this and any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Before installing Viper 2.x.x you will need to upgrade your phones firmware or you will receive bad battery life random force closes and boot up times up to 15mins

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...uu-m8-t2813792

if your S-OFF this is the easiest else id advise you to S-OFF your device as it makes doing things lot easier

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...tacks-t2824048

Problem with backing up i have always found the best way if your root is Titanium Backup as it is very good with compatibility
The Following User Says Thank You to agentbardall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KSmooove
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbardall View Post
Before installing Viper 2.x.x you will need to upgrade your phones firmware or you will receive bad battery life random force closes and boot up times up to 15mins

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...uu-m8-t2813792

if your S-OFF this is the easiest else id advise you to S-OFF your device as it makes doing things lot easier

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...tacks-t2824048

Problem with backing up i have always found the best way if your root is Titanium Backup as it is very good with compatibility
Thanks for getting back to me good sir

So I checked to see if i was SOFF or S-ON and turns out I am still S-ON which is kind of strange since I am on a custom ROM ViperOne M8.

How do I get S-OFF so I can proceed to update firmware and other steps you told me?

agentbardall
Old
Thanks Meter 9
try this first
http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/
and if that doesn't work
Sunshine which costs $25 although it is alot user friendly and does a compatibility test first
http://theroot.ninja/

although before doing any of this i would advise a full data/system/boot backup from your recovery to your external SD card just in case(better safe than sorry)

and it not too strange i had fully custom with S-ON until i need to update the firmware when in the end S-off made things so much easier
ViperUSER

If I helped please hit THANKS

HTC ONE M8
Samsung Note 2
HTC ONE X
Nexus X
HTC Desire z
The Following User Says Thank You to agentbardall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr Hofs
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 8,458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me good sir

So I checked to see if i was SOFF or S-ON and turns out I am still S-ON which is kind of strange since I am on a custom ROM ViperOne M8.

How do I get S-OFF so I can proceed to update firmware and other steps you told me?
Firewater or sunshine. Those are the only options to s-off the device. And to clarify.....you don't need s-off to flash custom roms. So it's not strange you are s-on with a custom rom.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
There is nothing strange about this. S-off is not required to flash custom ROMs (I don't know why folks are under the impression it is). And s-off is only achieved by methods specifically designed to do so (sunshine and firewater). Unlocking the bootloader does not make the phone s-off (another common misconception).
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr Hofs
Old
Thanks Meter 8,458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
There is nothing strange about this. S-off is not required to flash custom ROMs (I don't know why folks are under the impression it is). And s-off is only achieved by methods specifically designed to do so (sunshine and firewater). Unlocking the bootloader does not make the phone s-off (another common misconception).
Lol you could have just copied and pasted my text :sly:

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 4th September 2014 at 07:17 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
I would agree with the above suggestion to use Titanium Backup to backup apps, app data, SMS and call logs.

If these things are that important to you, you should be backing them up anyway.

Settings like wallpaper and ringtones take just a few seconds to change each, so I don't see a reason to sweat it. Using Titanium (well worth the paid license to get the batch functions) I can flash a new ROM, restore apps, and manually setup everything else all within 20 minutes. Might take you more if you have a lot of super specific settings, lots of WiFi networks, Bluetooth devices, etc.. But still, its worth being able to switch or update ROMs without having to rely on dirty flashing all the time.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hofs View Post
Lol you could have just copied and pasted my text :sly:
Similar content, although not identical.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr Hofs
Old
Thanks Meter 8,458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Similar content, although not identical.
I will call it nitpicking....but hej as long as you feel awesome by it

Enjoy the evening !

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]