Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC One M8 stuck in boot loop cannot "adb push" help!

OP technocrat7

30th August 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

52 posts
My HTC One M8 from AT&T got stuck in a boot loop after I unlocked it, put a custom recovery on it, and then tried to put a custom ROM on it.

I tried to put InsertCoin on there and it got stuck in a boot loop for some reason.

I got the SDK kit and tried doing a adb push my NANDroid I did originally (before trying the ROM) and so I have my NANDroid backup.

I just can't push anything to my SDCard because it keeps saying "adb shell ls /mnt/sdcard/" no such file or directory exists
same thing with "adb shell ls /sdcard/" no such file or directory exists.

I have my NANDroid backup (before the soft brick) and, a new ROM (Viper One M8 2.3.0)

so how do I "adb push" a file onto a filesystem that I have no access to?

adb push viperOne.zip /sdcard says "protocol failure"

It's as if I have no rights to push anything.

When I try to "install from .zip" it says "unable to mount SDCard"

Is there anything we can do to push? Is it because i'm not successfully rooted?
30th August 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 73

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat7

My HTC One M8 from AT&T got stuck in a boot loop after I unlocked it, put a custom recovery on it, and then tried to put a custom ROM on it.

I tried to put InsertCoin on there and it got stuck in a boot loop for some reason.

I got the SDK kit and tried doing a adb push my NANDroid I did originally (before trying the ROM) and so I have my NANDroid backup.

I just can't push anything to my SDCard because it keeps saying "adb shell ls /mnt/sdcard/" no such file or directory exists
same thing with "adb shell ls /sdcard/" no such file or directory exists.

I have my NANDroid backup (before the soft brick) and, a new ROM (Viper One M8 2.3.0)

so how do I "adb push" a file onto a filesystem that I have no access to?

adb push viperOne.zip /sdcard says "protocol failure"

It's as if I have no rights to push anything.

When I try to "install from .zip" it says "unable to mount SDCard"

Is there anything we can do to push? Is it because i'm not successfully rooted?

The recovery does not require root as root is a thing for the Android system. You could always try doing adb sideload and using the command 'adb sideload viperOne.zip', that will sideload the ROM to your device and flash it. An alternative thing to try would be going into the 'Mount' section of your recovery and checking /system, /data, /cache & /boot and re-attempting it. If all else fails then you could attempt to do 'Format data' from the wiping section (take note these are for TWRP, not so sure about CWM).

Also all you need is the 'platform-tools' folder of the sdk. Lastly I would only recommend doing the 'Format data' option after you've tried everything else. If you don't really care about losing your pictures, music, etc then you don't really need to avoid it.
30th August 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz

The recovery does not require root as root is a thing for the Android system. You could always try doing adb sideload and using the command 'adb sideload viperOne.zip', that will sideload the ROM to your device and flash it. An alternative thing to try would be going into the 'Mount' section of your recovery and checking /system, /data, /cache & /boot and re-attempting it. If all else fails then you could attempt to do 'Format data' from the wiping section (take note these are for TWRP, not so sure about CWM).

Also all you need is the 'platform-tools' folder of the sdk. Lastly I would only recommend doing the 'Format data' option after you've tried everything else. If you don't really care about losing your pictures, music, etc then you don't really need to avoid it.

When trying ADB Sideload, it would always get to 64% and then fail.

Also if I go to "wipe factory data" through philZ, then what will that do?
This all happened when I put InsertCoin on it.
30th August 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 9,531

7,366 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't know much about AT&T device as this is more of an Int'l GSM forum and I don't use recovery other than TWRP.

But ... this is basic things that should work for any device when you don't have an external sdcard. If you have one, just put the ROM.zip on it and install in recovery.

If there is no sdcard, Push the ROM.zip to internal sdcard

Put a ROM.zip in your adb/fastboot folder
Put your device in recovery then check the data is mounted
(TWRP - mount - data checked, other recovery maybe - mount & storage - mount data)
Then adb push it to internal sdcard

command : adb push ROM.zip /data/media/0/
The Following User Says Thank You to ckpv5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

52 posts
That worked, thank you!

And it should be the same no?

I heard TWRP and PhilZ 6 were pretty much the same. I actually heard better things about PhilZ than TWRP :P
30th August 2014, 10:01 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur

7,366 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

That worked, thank you!

And it should be the same no?

I heard TWRP and PhilZ 6 were pretty much the same. I actually heard better things about PhilZ than TWRP :P

No comparison ... I prefer to try on my own and decide which is better rather then just swallow what people said.
And I like the simplicity of TWRP ... so it's personal preference, that's all that I can say
The Following User Says Thank You to ckpv5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

52 posts
That's what I would've said too.

But the way you made it sound in your other post made it sound like TWRP can do more than PhilZ or something

I personally like Philz better, but yeah
31st August 2014, 06:17 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur

7,366 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

But the way you made it sound in your other post made it sound like TWRP can do more than PhilZ or something

Not that ... I said that I only use TWRP because the step that I mentioned is correct for TWRP but I'm not so sure for other recovery ... that's why I put the word "maybe" there.

(TWRP - mount - data checked, other recovery maybe - mount & storage - mount data)
31st August 2014, 10:55 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

52 posts
Oh I see, and yeah it was pretty much the same. It worked

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb push, boot loop, phone, stuck
Previous Thread Next Thread