Ask a question

No registration required

Kernel Request

OP bluesy_92

12th August 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18

258 posts
So, I've been looking into the well known issue of excessive audio gain in CyanogenMod. Reading the mixer_paths.xml files for both CM and Sense doesn't show a noticeable difference in volume. Yet the sense ROM only crackles on the highest volume, and the CM ROM had a much more noticeable crackle, even at lower volumes. From what I was told to understand, the CM kernel uses a volume gain hack that has existed since the Gingerbread days, that the HTC kernel does not use. I think disabling this hack, along with the fact that, unlike BoomSound, DPS manager defaults to a flat EQ, would produce a sound similar to that of what the M8 would sound like had it shipped without BoomSound. I think this would produce no crackle as long as DSP manager is untouched. If possible, I'd like to see a CM kernel made that is unchanged, with the exception of removing whatever code is used to increase the gain. Or, if the gain is a hardcoded setting and not a kernel hack, reducing it to stock (or slightly lower, because some users experience crackling on even a stock ROM) levels. I think a reduced gain kernel, coupled with CM11, would produce the best possible HTC One.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
12th August 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,360

7,739 posts
Requests for devs usually don't get much response, unless you do something to motivate, such as starting a bounty, etc.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread