[Q] Can I Limit CPU But Exclude Certain Apps?

5th July 2014, 06:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 17

74 posts
More
Hey guys, just a lil' prelude:

Sorry if there is a similar thread, I did a quick search here and a couple places and didn't see anything. Also, sorry if it's a simple answer, it's eluding me at the moment.

My main question, as the title says, is this: I am looking for a way to limit my CPU as with profiles in setCPU or Rom Tool Box Pro. But I am looking in particular, if there is a way to do so, yet at the same time exclude certain apps; Such as benchmarks or games. In essence I want my processor to be limited so that it's saving battery until the point at which I launch an app where I might benefit from the improved/full CPU power. Is this at all possible?

I recently switched from Sense 6 to GPE and realized there is no power saving mode options in stock android, so my battery has been draining a bit faster than I am used to. I was running power saving mode continuously and just turning it off when needed, so I am probably going to end up just limiting it until I need to take off the limit, but if there was a way to get a hassle-free set up I would be super glad. I always enjoy a little tweaking, so if it takes a bit of work that's fine.

Anyways, lemme know, and thanks in advance!
5th July 2014, 06:38 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 258

749 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombtastic

Sorry if there is a similar thread, I did a quick search here and a couple places and didn't see anything. Also, sorry if it's a simple answer, it's eluding me at the moment.

My main question, as the title says, is this: I am looking for a way to limit my CPU as with profiles in setCPU or Rom Tool Box Pro. But I am looking in particular, if there is a way to do so, yet at the same time exclude certain apps; Such as benchmarks or games. In essence I want my processor to be limited so that it's saving battery until the point at which I launch an app where I might benefit from the improved/full CPU power. Is this at all possible?

I recently switched from Sense 6 to GPE and realized there is no power saving mode options in stock android, so my battery has been draining a bit faster than I am used to. I was running power saving mode continuously and just turning it off when needed, so I am probably going to end up just limiting it until I need to take off the limit, but if there was a way to get a hassle-free set up I would be super glad. I always enjoy a little tweaking, so if it takes a bit of work that's fine.

Have you tried maybe setting up a CPU Control with Tasker? Yes I know...Tasker right

[TUT] Tasker CPU Control V5|Frequency/Governor Customisable Profiles|SetCPU with OCD
Tasker
CPU Control
Tasker Userguide
Tasker Wiki

Last 2 just to learn some more about it if you want.

I'm not aware of any other programs, will have to look into it more but even so, I'd be interested in knowing about it as well. Even though my phone runs great on battery life etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to BerndM14 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

74 posts
More
Well it's not exactly running bad I battery so much as I know it could be running better with a little help. Lol.

But, I shall definitely look into this when I get home from work. It looks like, from the few glanc s I gave it that this might be able to pull off what I was looking for. I didn't even think of Tasker (mostly because I don't know how to use it lol). I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th July 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 38

126 posts
You can try using Per-app Modes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llsantiago For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #5  
Flag Tirana
Thanks Meter: 28

158 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombtastic

I think you must watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxE8J-K2LFI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristi-Tech For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2014, 03:34 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 258

749 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsantiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi-Tech

Yeah that actually looks interesting, might be what he's looking for and probably won't be as difficult as setting up Tasker profiles. I might look into that one myself if only for curiosity purposes, nice find.
The Following User Says Thank You to BerndM14 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2014, 05:12 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

74 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsantiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi-Tech

Thanks guys! Your Per-App-Modes led me to another suggestion here on XDA. So I think I am gonna try that first, but I never knew half of these options existed! Thanks for the help, I am gonna test each for a few days and see what I come up with. I am hoping the Xposed Framework works out because, seeing as I have a few other modules to get most of my tweaks done, having just another module would be nice and organized to have all my favorite tweaks and mods in one little area. Lol.
Last edited by Zombtastic; 6th July 2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Errors

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombtastic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread