Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can I re-lock my bootloader and S-ON without bricking?

OP Jephreyz

31st August 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

18 posts
I've converted my HTC One M8 (AT&T GSM) into a Google Play Edition device and changed the MID and CID so that they match those of a Google Play Edition HTC One M8 in order to receive OTA updates from Google. I used the method of flashing the Google Play Edition RUU file. I usually only flash custom ROMs for a purer Android experience such as Cyanogenmod; however, now that I'm running the purest version of any other version of Android, I would like to re-lock my bootloader and set my security back to S-ON because an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF opens up several security holes within the device which I take very seriously. My question is: can I re-lock my bootloader and turn S-ON without bricking my phone and still continue to receive OTA updates through Google?
1st September 2014, 01:34 AM   |  #2  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 70

344 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephreyz

I've converted my HTC One M8 (AT&T GSM) into a Google Play Edition device and changed the MID and CID so that they match those of a Google Play Edition HTC One M8 in order to receive OTA updates from Google. I used the method of flashing the Google Play Edition RUU file. I usually only flash custom ROMs for a purer Android experience such as Cyanogenmod; however, now that I'm running the purest version of any other version of Android, I would like to re-lock my bootloader and set my security back to S-ON because an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF opens up several security holes within the device which I take very seriously. My question is: can I re-lock my bootloader and turn S-ON without bricking my phone and still continue to receive OTA updates through Google?

Yes you can, can you help me with something as well? I'm trying to change my mid but the changes never take effect. After I changed it I would type fastboot get var all & it's still the same mid as I had before. Help me out.
1st September 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalAndroid

Yes you can, can you help me with something as well? I'm trying to change my mid but the changes never take effect. After I changed it I would type fastboot get var all & it's still the same mid as I had before. Help me out.

I used this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708581
1st September 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #4  
Flag Denver

344 posts
More
Quote:

I used this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708581

Tried but I can't get it to work. I'll try again.
2nd September 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
Quote:

Do you have any explanation for why you can or cannot?
2nd September 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #6  
Flag Denver

344 posts
More
Hmm not that I know of I just know it's possible without any harm.
2nd September 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
Quote:

Hmm not that I know of I just know it's possible without any harm.

Even in a converted circumstance?
2nd September 2014, 01:23 AM   |  #8  
Flag Denver

344 posts
More
Quote:

Even in a converted circumstance?

Correct.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread