[Q] Can I re-lock my bootloader and S-ON without bricking?

Search This thread

Jephreyz

Aug 31, 2014
I've converted my HTC One M8 (AT&T GSM) into a Google Play Edition device and changed the MID and CID so that they match those of a Google Play Edition HTC One M8 in order to receive OTA updates from Google. I used the method of flashing the Google Play Edition RUU file. I usually only flash custom ROMs for a purer Android experience such as Cyanogenmod; however, now that I'm running the purest version of any other version of Android, I would like to re-lock my bootloader and set my security back to S-ON because an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF opens up several security holes within the device which I take very seriously. My question is: can I re-lock my bootloader and turn S-ON without bricking my phone and still continue to receive OTA updates through Google?

EternalAndroid

Dec 18, 2012
Denver
I've converted my HTC One M8 (AT&T GSM) into a Google Play Edition device and changed the MID and CID so that they match those of a Google Play Edition HTC One M8 in order to receive OTA updates from Google. I used the method of flashing the Google Play Edition RUU file. I usually only flash custom ROMs for a purer Android experience such as Cyanogenmod; however, now that I'm running the purest version of any other version of Android, I would like to re-lock my bootloader and set my security back to S-ON because an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF opens up several security holes within the device which I take very seriously. My question is: can I re-lock my bootloader and turn S-ON without bricking my phone and still continue to receive OTA updates through Google?
Yes you can, can you help me with something as well? I'm trying to change my mid but the changes never take effect. After I changed it I would type fastboot get var all & it's still the same mid as I had before. Help me out.