Has the m8 had a hardware update?

12th August 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag West Sussex, UK
Thanks Meter: 53

412 posts
More
Right, so got my original m8 around 6-7 weeks ago, and had it replaced a few days ago. I'm sure I've noticed a few differences.

1. New phone has small sticker on the left hand side at the bottom saying made in China.
2. New phone appears to have a brighter LED notification light.
3. On the new phone, I can feel the HTC letters on the back, I never noticed this with the original.
4. Not 100% sure, but I think the screen is brighter/clearer.

Any thoughts?
12th August 2014, 01:42 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,031

6,864 posts
HTC (as well as most smartphone manufacturers) often uses more than one supplier for the various components. So seeing some variation in the displays and other parts is not unusual. I know on my old One X EVITA, it was known they used 2 different manufacturers for the display.

The HTC letters on the back are actually separate pieces inlaid into the back plate (as far as I can tell, and this has been the case on past HTC phones). So its normal for you to be able to feel them. It could be you just didn't notice before, or the pieces were a little more "flush" with the surface on your old phone and you were able to feel them a little less.
12th August 2014, 01:42 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 142

271 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushtafa

Right, so got my original m8 around 6-7 weeks ago, and had it replaced a few days ago. I'm sure I've noticed a few differences.

1. New phone has small sticker on the left hand side at the bottom saying made in China.
2. New phone appears to have a brighter LED notification light.
3. On the new phone, I can feel the HTC letters on the back, I never noticed this with the original.
4. Not 100% sure, but I think the screen is brighter/clearer.

Any thoughts?

No idea about the Made in China sticker..don't have one. But AFAIK they are made in both China and Taiwan.

The screens are confirmed as being from different manufacturers and therefore having different colors etc. More info in a thread here somewhere..search for it :P

Also the gunmetal color version has two different versions with small variations..I think the lettering was one of the differences noted but not sure.

As for the LED, I don't think so but beware that the light level seems to differ a lot according to which notification is being used. For instance the battery charging/low battery is quite dim, while the sms/email notification lights it up a lot more.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread