XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

what makes stock ota updates possible?

Tip us?

RENEGAD3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Default what makes stock ota updates possible?

Is it based on your CID or MID or is it something else? im still 100% stock and unrooted (but sunhine unlocked and soff and supercid 11111111- stock recovery) my original cid was ORANG001 i was wondering what makes the ota updates be pushed to the phone? for e.g if it is cid and i change my cid to match another carrier will i recieve that carriers ota updates? thanks

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,051
They go out in batches, usually unbranded handsets first and then branded devices (depending on how quick the carrier OK the updates). For example, I have an unbranded M8, CID HTC__001, software build 1.54.401.10 (the latest). You have an Orange/EE branded handset, hence the CID ORANG001. I'll get updates before you as my phone gets updates directly from HTC whereas you have to wait for Orange/EE to approve the update and add their little bits and bobs to it

Now, as you're S-OFF, you could convert your phone to 100% stock unbranded like mine and be done of the Orange/EE gumpf BUT you'll need your backups in case of warranty
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r20

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

RENEGAD3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
They go out in batches, usually unbranded handsets first and then branded devices (depending on how quick the carrier OK the updates). For example, I have an unbranded M8, CID HTC__001, software build 1.54.401.10 (the latest). You have an Orange/EE branded handset, hence the CID ORANG001. I'll get updates before you as my phone gets updates directly from HTC whereas you have to wait for Orange/EE to approve the update and add their little bits and bobs to it

Now, as you're S-OFF, you could convert your phone to 100% stock unbranded like mine and be done of the Orange/EE gumpf BUT you'll need your backups in case of warranty
So it is based on CID? as i said my cid is now 11111111......

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGAD3 View Post
So it is based on CID? as i said my cid is now 11111111......
Yes, but you still have the stock Orange software so you're still waiting on them to push the update...if you want the stock, unbranded ROM then you can follow the guide in my signature and you'll end up with a 100% stock ROM
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r20

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

RENEGAD3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
Yes, but you still have the stock Orange software so you're still waiting on them to push the update...if you want the stock, unbranded ROM then you can follow the guide in my signature and you'll end up with a 100% stock ROM
Ahhh ok, thanks alot mate.