Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Making my HTC S-OFF for free>?

Tip us?

adiel91
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] Making my HTC S-OFF for free>?

Hey guys,
i'm trying to get my HTC S-Off.

after reading a bit online, i found the following guide:
http://www.android.gs/gain-s-off-on-htc-one-m8/

but according to some reading and user asking, i understand that the "free" methods no longer work, except on some versions of the device?

Is the only way to make my device S-OFF is using the paid ways (like sunshine ones, that cost 25$)

Here are the details for my phone:

* Not locked to any network, bought as "sim free" (not verizon \ at&t etc..)
* Hardware version: 0005 ( if that matters )
* HTC Theme Version - 6.0
* ROM: Android Revolution HD 10.2, version: 2.22.401.4
* Android Version: 4.4.3
* HTC DSK API Level: 6.25
* Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L
* Kernel: 3.4.0-ge224610, and@ABM103 #1, SMP PREEMPT

This is all the information that i think is relevant, as shows in my device's ABOUT.
Also, the phone is rooted, and have custom recovery (TWRP)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

HTCNerdYoda
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiel91 View Post
Hey guys,
i'm trying to get my HTC S-Off.

after reading a bit online, i found the following guide:
http://www.android.gs/gain-s-off-on-htc-one-m8/

but according to some reading and user asking, i understand that the "free" methods no longer work, except on some versions of the device?

Is the only way to make my device S-OFF is using the paid ways (like sunshine ones, that cost 25$)
If firewater won't work .. yes SunShine and thus paying 25$ is the only method. But SunShine is not going to work on ARHD. You will need to perform a stock restore before trying it.
Mobile: One M8 Gunmetal: UNLOCK - S-OFF (SunShine) - WWE
CID: HTC__001 (T-MOB101)
MID: 0P6B10000
HBoot: 3.18
FW: 2.22.401.5 (1.70.111.1)
Radio: 1.19.21331147A1
ROM: Stock - SuperSU
Recovery: Stock

Retired: Desire (CWM, Cyanogen), Sensation (Unlocked, S-On, CWM, root), One X (Unlocked, TWRP, Cyanogen), One (M7) (firewater S-Off, TWRP, ViperOne), Moto G (Unlocked, S-On, CWM, CM11), One (M8) GER Silver (SunShine S-Off, TWRP, ViperOne 2.2.0).
The Following User Says Thank You to HTCNerdYoda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adiel91
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCNerdYoda View Post
If firewater won't work .. yes SunShine and thus paying 25$ is the only method. But SunShine is not going to work on ARHD. You will need to perform a stock restore before trying it.
Thank you for the quick reply.
If you could help with the following i'll be thankful:

1. I'm not familiar with all of the terms you mentioned.
Firewater - is the method for S-OFF described in the guide i posted?
ARHD - What's that? my HTC is ARHD, for that matter?

2. Assuming i have full NAND backup made with the recovery,
if i try the method described in the guide i posted will fail , could my HTC get bricked?
and if so - will the NAND backup will be enough to restore it to working condition OR undo the changes (if neccessary in case of failure, even without bricking the phone)

3. If i'll have to go back to STOCK, 1st of all - i'll need to completely un-root my device and restore the original bootloader?
2nd - if i'll go back top STOCK, use sunshine method to s-off my device, and then restore my custom rom and settings
using the NAND backup - is it OK? or it will cause trouble?

Thanks again!

One-M8-Master
Old
Thanks Meter 2,407
Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply.
If you could help with the following i'll be thankful:

1. I'm not familiar with all of the terms you mentioned.
Firewater - is the method for S-OFF described in the guide i posted?
ARHD - What's that? my HTC is ARHD, for that matter?

2. Assuming i have full NAND backup made with the recovery,
if i try the method described in the guide i posted will fail , could my HTC get bricked?
and if so - will the NAND backup will be enough to restore it to working condition OR undo the changes (if neccessary in case of failure, even without bricking the phone)

3. If i'll have to go back to STOCK, 1st of all - i'll need to completely un-root my device and restore the original bootloader?
2nd - if i'll go back top STOCK, use sunshine method to s-off my device, and then restore my custom rom and settings
using the NAND backup - is it OK? or it will cause trouble?

Thanks again!
yea firewater is the method by the same devs of the sunshine apk but it doesnt work for all devices and all variants.
ARHD is Android Revolution HD ..he meant the Rom..you Need to use either MaximusHD Rom or complete stock Rom/stock backup otherwise it wouldnt even work if it will be possible for your device

also your bootloader is completely stock..you just Need stock recovery and stock kernel...ok recovery is not that important but kernel and Rom really Need to be stock or atleast maximusHD Rom.
and no restoring wont cause Troubles...but for working backup use philz recovery ! twrp often doesnt work for now...i mean the backup and restore.
Its simple read before asking and use the search button and always be thankful its FREE!!!

Devices : HTC HD2 (Sold/broken), HTC One X (has my sister now), HTC One M8 (current) (changing roms always after few weeks of use and testing)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to One-M8-Master For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adiel91
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-M8-Master View Post
yea firewater is the method by the same devs of the sunshine apk but it doesnt work for all devices and all variants.
ARHD is Android Revolution HD ..he meant the Rom..you Need to use either MaximusHD Rom or complete stock Rom/stock backup otherwise it wouldnt even work if it will be possible for your device

also your bootloader is completely stock..you just Need stock recovery and stock kernel...ok recovery is not that important but kernel and Rom really Need to be stock or atleast maximusHD Rom.
and no restoring wont cause Troubles...but for working backup use philz recovery ! twrp often doesnt work for now...i mean the backup and restore.
Thanks friend

last question ( i'm trying :P )
can i try firewater method on my current rom, or does is require STOCK as well?

HTCNerdYoda
Old
(Last edited by HTCNerdYoda; 26th August 2014 at 01:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-M8-Master View Post

Thanks!

Didn't think about further explaining what ARHD meant, as he has it installed

Quote:
You can have a try, but performing S-Off most of the time works best on near stock ROMs as all the methods firewater as well as SunShine are designed to work on a stock ROM and not on the customized ROMs.

Anyway e.g. SunShine and MaximusHD work as far as I know. So give it a try and if not just revert to stock to try again.
Mobile: One M8 Gunmetal: UNLOCK - S-OFF (SunShine) - WWE
CID: HTC__001 (T-MOB101)
MID: 0P6B10000
HBoot: 3.18
FW: 2.22.401.5 (1.70.111.1)
Radio: 1.19.21331147A1
ROM: Stock - SuperSU
Recovery: Stock

Retired: Desire (CWM, Cyanogen), Sensation (Unlocked, S-On, CWM, root), One X (Unlocked, TWRP, Cyanogen), One (M7) (firewater S-Off, TWRP, ViperOne), Moto G (Unlocked, S-On, CWM, CM11), One (M8) GER Silver (SunShine S-Off, TWRP, ViperOne 2.2.0).
The Following User Says Thank You to HTCNerdYoda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

One-M8-Master
Old
Thanks Meter 2,407
Quote:
Thanks friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCNerdYoda View Post
Thanks!

Didn't think about further explaining what ARHD meant, as he has it installed

You can have a try, but performing S-Off most of the time works best on near stock ROMs as all the methods firewater as well as SunShine are designed to work on a stock ROM and not on the customized ROMs.

Anyway e.g. SunShine and MaximusHD work as far as I know. So give it a try and if not just revert to stock to try again.
firewater DOES NOT work with arhd or any other Rom...firewater really Needs stock Rom and kernel as there will be things loading which are often disabled in custom roms etc
Its simple read before asking and use the search button and always be thankful its FREE!!!

Devices : HTC HD2 (Sold/broken), HTC One X (has my sister now), HTC One M8 (current) (changing roms always after few weeks of use and testing)
The Following User Says Thank You to One-M8-Master For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adiel91
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
i'm happy to report that after consulting with sunshine dev team
and trying using sunshine method on ARHD, it did work and i'm S-OFF.

Thank you all for your answers and help!!
appreciate it

cheers

One-M8-Master
Old
Thanks Meter 2,407
Good if you still have any questions ask me but via pm

The Following User Says Thank You to One-M8-Master For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]