Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,632 Members 36,630 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot obtain Root....

Tip us?

harper3663
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cannot obtain Root....

I've been toying around with my new Verizon HTC One (m8) and decided to permroot earlier today (I've had temproot via weaksauce for a month). This took me forever because the only s-off and bootloader unlocker that would work (after hours of trying firewater and HTCdev) was Sunshine. I eventually paid for it and tried to root. I installed CWM at first but didn't realize that Supersu had to be present on my sd-card, so I rebooted. I then flashed TWRP over CWM and tried to root with it instead. Unfortunately, I had downloaded Supersu off the Play Store and (of course) didn't achieve root from the bootloader. That was a few hours ago.

Now I'm stuck with TWRP and no matter what I do, I cannot figure out how to root. I've flashed 3 different versions of Supersu from recovery and none of the zips I install offer me the option to root. I've tried to flash Supersu through adb sideload. I've even tried using ROM manager to reboot and install a copy of Supersu downloaded off my phone's Chrome (probably didn't work because I'm not rooted - it tells me "an error occurred while trying to run privileged commands").

I was under the impression that after installing the Supersu zip from recovery, you would be asked to root either directly after installation or upon rebooting. However, when I reboot, TWRP warns me that "There is no OS installed, are you sure you wish to reboot?" From what I've read, that normally indicates a soft-brick, but my phone is definitely not bricked (yet).

How can I flash Supersu in a way that gives me root?

I'm fairly competent with adb, but nowhere on the internet have I found a problem even remotely similar to mine....

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Are you able to boot into twrp and which version do you have? Twrp will automatically ask if you want to install the su binary the first time you reboot from within twrp.
When you reboot you should see the supersu app. All you need do is update it via play store.

Jyotirdeb
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper3663 View Post
I've been toying around with my new Verizon HTC One (m8) and decided to permroot earlier today (I've had temproot via weaksauce for a month). This took me forever because the only s-off and bootloader unlocker that would work (after hours of trying

I'm fairly competent with adb, but nowhere on the internet have I found a problem even remotely similar to mine....
Read this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2265618 this is for m7 but works for m8 as well like a charm!
Don't say thanks hit thanks if I have helped.

Current Device:

S-OFF-Yes
Recovery:TWRP
Kernel:ElementalX
Rom:Android Revolution HD by Mike!

harper3663
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotirdeb View Post
Read this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2265618 this is for m7 but works for m8 as well like a charm!
I downloaded and installed the Root Kit from recovery. It said install successful, but below that it said "Unable to mount /system." When I rebooted, I still didn't have root and Supersu hadn't downloaded. Do I need to do an ruu and just retry everything?

harper3663
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx View Post
Are you able to boot into twrp and which version do you have? Twrp will automatically ask if you want to install the su binary the first time you reboot from within twrp.
When you reboot you should see the supersu app. All you need do is update it via play store.
I can boot into twrp, and it's the most recent version from their website (for the Verizon HTC One). For some reason, it didn't ask me to install the su binary the first time I rebooted, and now I don't know how to do it.

Jyotirdeb
Old
Thanks Meter 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper3663 View Post
I downloaded and installed the Root Kit from recovery. It said install successful, but below that it said "Unable to mount /system." When I rebooted, I still didn't have root and Supersu hadn't downloaded. Do I need to do an ruu and just retry everything?
Thats why u shouldnt use toolkit.Try an ruu then follow the link i have posted
Don't say thanks hit thanks if I have helped.

Current Device:

S-OFF-Yes
Recovery:TWRP
Kernel:ElementalX
Rom:Android Revolution HD by Mike!