Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

One M8 CDMA question

Tip us?

osendott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Default One M8 CDMA question

I have recently picked up an m8 from a local carrier, Appalachian Wireless. CDMA network, shares freqs, towers etc. With Verizon.

I'm usually a Samsung guy and I was wondering when it comes to rooting, etc. If this phone is essentially a vzw m8 as far as root and custom recovery is concerned?? Model is HTC6525L on back of phone though I can find no references online to that. I know other devices would be like sch-I959 (Sammy) or vs980 (LG)etc. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Any help appreciated.

Ps. Been meaning to try and unlock the boot loader via htcdev but haven't had the time. Don't know if that'd offer any more info or not
HTC One M8

Sir-Fix-a-Lot
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by osendott View Post
I have recently picked up an m8 from a local carrier, Appalachian Wireless. CDMA network, shares freqs, towers etc. With Verizon.

I'm usually a Samsung guy and I was wondering when it comes to rooting, etc. If this phone is essentially a vzw m8 as far as root and custom recovery is concerned?? Model is HTC6525L on back of phone though I can find no references online to that. I know other devices would be like sch-I959 (Sammy) or vs980 (LG)etc. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Any help appreciated.

Ps. Been meaning to try and unlock the boot loader via htcdev but haven't had the time. Don't know if that'd offer any more info or not
You're correct, use the vzw recovery

neoreeps
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Htcdev is only for gpe devices. You need to use the s-off, root, custom recovery method. You can try but when you enter your phones identifier the website will tell you your device isn't supported.

/* sent from cm11 on m8vzw */

n1234d
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoreeps View Post
Htcdev is only for gpe devices. You need to use the s-off, root, custom recovery method. You can try but when you enter your phones identifier the website will tell you your device isn't supported.

And for every other device except Verizon :P
Always hit the "Thanks" Button
Samsung SCH-M569 --> Nokia Asha 200 --> iPod Touch 4G --> HTC One (M7) --> HTC One (M8)
Current Device :
HTC One (M8) M8q Gunmetal Grey (Lighter Variant), SlickWraps Carbon Fiber Black
HBOOT 3.18 S-ON
2.10.720.1 Stock rooted
ElementalX Kernel

neoreeps
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1234d View Post
And for every other device except Verizon :P
Didn't know that. It's irritating but at least we can use normal recovery methods and flash ROMs. Samsung and safestrap suck. I'll never go back because of the un-openness Samsung is promoting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neoreeps For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jbpotter6
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by osendott View Post

I also have Appalachian wireless but I have the m7. I was able to unlock my Bootloader using htcdev with no problems so u should be OK there. The problem I'm having with rooting my device is I'm afraid to flash a custom recovery because I still want to be able to do ota updates due to fear of flashing a custom rom since there r no roms specifically built for our small carrier. would love to be able to flash custom roms but from what I have read Verizon roms will work but certain features such as mms will not function properly and for me I would rather have stock and everything function properly. I would just like to have root access for the features it unlocks.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app