Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[Q] My Phone Radio is a battery hog.

OP Tej XFire

21st August 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8

102 posts
Hello everyone.
I noticed something weird happening with my M8.

I changed my carrier last week, they gave me a new SIM Card.

I never had the issue when I was using the phone earlier. After I replaced the SIM Card with my new Card, I'm getting horrible battery drain. I attached a screenshot of my usage after a reboot.

That Radio was eating more battery than my screen. How's that possible ? My Note 3 barely consumes any battery on standby.
This one is sucking away all my power.

This is going crazy. I'm entering flight mode, as its losing 6-7 % overnight after a reboot.

I have everything disabled from sync, to google now, to "ok google". I'm on 0 brightness.

Can anyone suggest me something ? Any suggesstion/solutions are most welcome. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio_battery_drain.png
Views:	71
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2906840  
23rd August 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #2  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,876

13,406 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej XFire

Hello everyone.
I noticed something weird happening with my M8.

I changed my carrier last week, they gave me a new SIM Card.

I never had the issue when I was using the phone earlier. After I replaced the SIM Card with my new Card, I'm getting horrible battery drain. I attached a screenshot of my usage after a reboot.

That Radio was eating more battery than my screen. How's that possible ? My Note 3 barely consumes any battery on standby.
This one is sucking away all my power.

This is going crazy. I'm entering flight mode, as its losing 6-7 % overnight after a reboot.

I have everything disabled from sync, to google now, to "ok google". I'm on 0 brightness.

Can anyone suggest me something ? Any suggesstion/solutions are most welcome. Thanks in advance

Honestly, that is not terrible standby. Tho a longer test would be more accurate.

Is location on? Have you disabled any HTC bloat?

Anyway, it's not that out of line really.

Best I normally get overnight is 0.4 percent drain per hour.... I'm rooted, debloated a lot of HTC stuff, location off and most other features.
I don't really see an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

Honestly, that is not terrible standby. Tho a longer test would be more accurate.

Is location on? Have you disabled any HTC bloat?

Anyway, it's not that out of line really.

Best I normally get overnight is 0.4 percent drain per hour.... I'm rooted, debloated a lot of HTC stuff, location off and most other features.
I don't really see an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I switch everything off including sync, motion launch gestures, auto brightness and location has been completely disabled including google location reporting.

When I enter flight mode in the night with extreme power saver, I only lose like 2-3 % overnight, with everything disabled. However its not the same with the flight mode turned off. I lose like 5-6 %. I barely have any apps from the play store. I also found that using a different launcher saves the battery..

And when I use the phone for sometime, the screen dominates the radio consumption..

Finally, please have a look at the screenshot I've attached. I lost 10% battery with 30mins of screen being on. Is it normal ? Please tell me..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_screenshot_2014-08-13-11-43-14.png
Views:	43
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	2908527  
23rd August 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #4  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,876

13,406 posts
More
You must have rebooted. You used 6 percent with 30 minutes of screen time. Gsam stats reset when you reboot. So.... 6 percent drain with 30 minutes screen time is 8 hours plus screen with 100 percent gone. Lol

You are doing above average if you ask me.

Enjoy your device and stop worrying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

You must have rebooted. You used 6 percent with 30 minutes of screen time. Gsam stats reset when you reboot. So.... 6 percent drain with 30 minutes screen time is 8 hours plus screen with 100 percent gone. Lol

You are doing above average if you ask me.

Enjoy your device and stop worrying.

Yes, thanks for the reply. Probably I'm more concerned about the battery... . I should stop bothering about it

Sent from my M8 with a happy battery !
26th August 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Tampa-ish, FL
Thanks Meter: 6,197

5,568 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thread closed per OP request.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread