[Q] A quick (stupid) set of questions

Search This thread

davelikestacos

Jan 8, 2013
New York
davidszoke.x10.mx
So I just picked up a HTC One M8 (AT&T variant). I am no newbie when it comes to rooting/flashing custom roms, having had a Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, and still owning both versions of the Nexus 7, however I just want to make sure I'm fine to flash before I go ahead and end up doing something stupid.

I already unlocked my bootloader successfully, loaded TWRP 2.7.0.2, and rooted the phone, but I keep reading about S-OFF and Sunshine and Firewater and I'm like, WTF? Do I need to enabled S-OFF to flash a custom ROM/Kernel? If so, is there a free way to do this (I see Sunshine costs $25 bucks and I have no idea what it does or why I need it)?

I figured I'd ask before trying anything, but I don't want to get setup if I'm just going to flash over everything anyway.

Also, I'm quite a minimalist. I like Sense, but I'd like a ROM with some optimizations performance and battery saving wise but not so much a visual overhaul. The realistic usable additions are welcome, but I don't want a ROM that is completely themed and doesn't mesh well with the default Sense 6 style. Can anyone recommend a nice ROM to start out with?

ferrerj004

Jul 27, 2013
First off, although S-OFF is NOT mandatory to flash custom roms and kernels, it may be required to flash firmwares that may be needed to match the custom roms firmware - IF the custom roms firmware does not match your own. Simple answer: No, you don't need it to flash custom roms/kernels.

You can try Firewater to S-OFF but it just doesn't work for everybody, if it doesn't work for you then Sunshine is your only option.

As for a rom to start out with, really it's all about personal preferences. For the description you said, Android Revolution comes with a stock look with the option to change visuals if you prefer. Already optimized so you don't have to touch any power settings, voltages etc.

D

Darth

Roms don't create good battery life. Setup and usage does. So use any rom that appeals to you... Not what you think or they claim, will improve battery life. Rom and kernels make a minor difference in battery life at best.
I, and many others, know this for a fact.... As we run any rom or kernel, setup the same way, use the device the same way and we can get similar battery life on all of them. ?

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
Roms don't create good battery life. Setup and usage does. So use any rom that appeals to you... Not what you think or they claim, will improve battery life. Rom and kernels make a minor difference in battery life at best.
I, and many others, know this for a fact.... As we run any rom or kernel, setup the same way, use the device the same way and we can get similar battery life on all of them. ?

truer words were never spoken..plenty of tools out there to maximize battery life, but rarely, if ever, is it totally determined by your rom/kernel choice