FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q]

10th July 2014, 03:01 PM |#1  
samteeee's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto, Canada
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
GREETINGS:

I'm about to buy my very first HTC phone(M8) and need some input from fellow HTCiers.
I use "Prepaid"(diff. Canadian Sims) and am wondering if I should buy one of the Canadian Carriers
and then unlock/root/debrand or should I bite the bullet and buy a "Dev Edition" and then use
Canadian Radio/Roms? I need to make a decision, quickly!!

I'd appreciate any input.
 
 
10th July 2014, 03:11 PM |#2  
BerndM14's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 550
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samteeee

GREETINGS:

I'm about to buy my very first HTC phone(M8) and need some input from fellow HTCiers.
I use "Prepaid"(diff. Canadian Sims) and am wondering if I should buy one of the Canadian Carriers
and then unlock/root/debrand or should I bite the bullet and buy a "Dev Edition" and then use
Canadian Radio/Roms? I need to make a decision, quickly!!

I'd appreciate any input.

Buying Canadian you could always convert to international/dev and still get updates straight from HTC.
Buying International/dev you can convert to Carrier but I'm not sure if you'll get the OTA's, might have to flash them.

Why on earth would you want carrier anyways, what, apart from bloatware, does carrier ROMs bring to the table? Radio's should be fine even if you buy an international one. I'm not sure about developer edition for radios, seeing as it's US I don't know how it'll work locally for you or for that matter anyone else internationally.

Personally I went with international model and imported it to South Africa, radio works perfectly, in comparison with other carrier users who think going 17mbps with LTE(In the city!!!) is awesome, I get 25mbps on H+ and I live way out in the middle of nowhere So there is no problem with the international radios, and it's clean no bloatware, no waiting 6months for the latest updates. All better this way.
10th July 2014, 03:23 PM |#3  
samteeee's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto, Canada
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14

Buying Canadian you could always convert to international/dev and still get updates straight from HTC.
Buying International/dev you can convert to Carrier but I'm not sure if you'll get the OTA's, might have to flash them.

Why on earth would you want carrier anyways, what, apart from bloatware, does carrier ROMs bring to the table? Radio's should be fine even if you buy an international one. I'm not sure about developer edition for radios, seeing as it's US I don't know how it'll work locally for you or for that matter anyone else internationally.

Personally I went with international model and imported it to South Africa, radio works perfectly, in comparison with other carrier users who think going 17mbps with LTE(In the city!!!) is awesome, I get 25mbps on H+ and I live way out in the middle of nowhere So there is no problem with the international radios, and it's clean no bloatware, no waiting 6months for the latest updates. All better this way.


Thank you for replying.
I think from what you said, the best way for me is to buy a Canadian Variant and unlock/root/debrand and flash any Roms out there, right?
10th July 2014, 08:39 PM |#4  
BerndM14's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 550
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samteeee

Thank you for replying.
I think from what you said, the best way for me is to buy a Canadian Variant and unlock/root/debrand and flash any Roms out there, right?

Sure you can, if that's your choice.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes