Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,480 Members 45,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]

Tip us?

samteeee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q]

GREETINGS:

I'm about to buy my very first HTC phone(M8) and need some input from fellow HTCiers.
I use "Prepaid"(diff. Canadian Sims) and am wondering if I should buy one of the Canadian Carriers
and then unlock/root/debrand or should I bite the bullet and buy a "Dev Edition" and then use
Canadian Radio/Roms? I need to make a decision, quickly!!

I'd appreciate any input.

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by samteeee View Post
GREETINGS:

I'm about to buy my very first HTC phone(M8) and need some input from fellow HTCiers.
I use "Prepaid"(diff. Canadian Sims) and am wondering if I should buy one of the Canadian Carriers
and then unlock/root/debrand or should I bite the bullet and buy a "Dev Edition" and then use
Canadian Radio/Roms? I need to make a decision, quickly!!

I'd appreciate any input.
Buying Canadian you could always convert to international/dev and still get updates straight from HTC.
Buying International/dev you can convert to Carrier but I'm not sure if you'll get the OTA's, might have to flash them.

Why on earth would you want carrier anyways, what, apart from bloatware, does carrier ROMs bring to the table? Radio's should be fine even if you buy an international one. I'm not sure about developer edition for radios, seeing as it's US I don't know how it'll work locally for you or for that matter anyone else internationally.

Personally I went with international model and imported it to South Africa, radio works perfectly, in comparison with other carrier users who think going 17mbps with LTE(In the city!!!) is awesome, I get 25mbps on H+ and I live way out in the middle of nowhere So there is no problem with the international radios, and it's clean no bloatware, no waiting 6months for the latest updates. All better this way.

samteeee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14 View Post
Buying Canadian you could always convert to international/dev and still get updates straight from HTC.
Buying International/dev you can convert to Carrier but I'm not sure if you'll get the OTA's, might have to flash them.

Why on earth would you want carrier anyways, what, apart from bloatware, does carrier ROMs bring to the table? Radio's should be fine even if you buy an international one. I'm not sure about developer edition for radios, seeing as it's US I don't know how it'll work locally for you or for that matter anyone else internationally.

Personally I went with international model and imported it to South Africa, radio works perfectly, in comparison with other carrier users who think going 17mbps with LTE(In the city!!!) is awesome, I get 25mbps on H+ and I live way out in the middle of nowhere So there is no problem with the international radios, and it's clean no bloatware, no waiting 6months for the latest updates. All better this way.

Thank you for replying.
I think from what you said, the best way for me is to buy a Canadian Variant and unlock/root/debrand and flash any Roms out there, right?

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by samteeee View Post
Thank you for replying.
I think from what you said, the best way for me is to buy a Canadian Variant and unlock/root/debrand and flash any Roms out there, right?
Sure you can, if that's your choice.