No ROM installed, stuck in recovery.

Search This thread

decko5

Aug 14, 2010
Chicago
I was getting random reboots and I tried to delete everything. I thought "clean to install new ROM" would just do a thorough cleaning.
When I try to boot it stays on the white HTC screen.
I can boot into the recovery and Squabbi's HTC One M8 toolkit reads it.
However, I have no idea what files to flash or even HOW to flash them so I can get an OS back on my phone. Can somebody please help?

I have no ADB experience.

decko5

Aug 14, 2010
Chicago
Copy a rom zip on external sd and flash it through recovery :) or use a nandroid backup if you have one, but as you want a clean install maybe you want to use the first method :)

Thank you for your reply. I am currently in ADB i tried to do "adb sideload" but got an error "failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)'
I am going to try "adb push" right now and see if that works.

In the meantime, is it possible for me to recover using RUU in my current state of being stuck in recovery mode? Thanks again. I'll make sure to hit that donation button.

lukes91

Aug 20, 2013
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Thank you for your reply. I am currently in ADB i tried to do "adb sideload" but got an error "failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)'

In the meantime, is it possible for me to recover using RUU in my current state of being stuck in recovery mode? Thanks again. I'll make sure to hit that donation button.

Well, the error might be a recovery issue, a cable issue (use stock htc one) or a driver issue... Unfortunately no RUU is available, so search for a nandroid backup in mr hofs' thread, copy it on the external sd card and recover it... Use the same recovery the backup was taken with (should be noted near the backup)... Let me know if you need further help dude :)

Reactions: decko5

decko5

Aug 14, 2010
Chicago
Well, the error might be a recovery issue, a cable issue (use stock htc one) or a driver issue... Unfortunately no RUU is available, so search for a nandroid backup in mr hofs' thread, copy it on the external sd card and recover it... Use the same recovery the backup was taken with (should be noted near the backup)... Let me know if you need further help dude :)

Ok so i found my nandroid backup and i am currently i am in adb. how do i push the backup to the TWRP backup directory?

lukes91

Aug 20, 2013
Ok so i found my nandroid backup and i am currently i am in adb. how do i push the backup to the TWRP backup directory?

It's easier to mount the storage in twrp, so you can browse it with the computer and copy paste the file inside... Then unplug the phone and restore the nandroid...

Edit: in this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2318497
there are very useful infos for you, and there is the adb push command you are looking for (path should be the same)... Let me know if you recover everything or if you need more help :)

Last edited:
Reactions: decko5

decko5

Aug 14, 2010
Chicago
It's easier to mount the storage in twrp, so you can browse it with the computer and copy paste the file inside... Then unplug the phone and restore the nandroid...

there are very useful infos for you, and there is the adb push command you are looking for (path should be the same)... Let me know if you recover everything or if you need more help :)

I flashed TWRP via fastboot. then i pushed a nandroid backup hosted on this site to the /sdcard/TWRP/backsups/<a directory i made here> finally got everything working. Thanks again for everything. I just hope the random rebooting doesn't come back.

I think it was rebooting because I disabled some bloatware apps via an app called App Master, which requires root. And when i restarted the phone, all those apps tried to run again but there was a conflict with App Master.

lukes91

Aug 20, 2013
I flashed TWRP via fastboot. then i pushed a nandroid backup hosted on this site to the /sdcard/TWRP/backsups/<a directory i made here> finally got everything working. Thanks again for everything. I just hope the random rebooting doesn't come back.

I think it was rebooting because I disabled some bloatware apps via an app called App Master, which requires root. And when i restarted the phone, all those apps tried to run again but there was a conflict with App Master.

Well, you can try to reinstall the rom without removing the bloatware... If it's stable you found the culprit :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Copy a rom zip on external sd and flash it through recovery :) or use a nandroid backup if you have one, but as you want a clean install maybe you want to use the first method :)