Post Reply

Root/Temp Root without data loss??

OP zayaabby

9th August 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
92 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Im sorry if this was already posted elsewhere...but I cannot find what I am looking for.

I have an HTC One M8 with T-Mobile. Its is running slow and I want to wipe it fresh and get everything reinstalled back on. I do not currently have root and I am trying to find a way to root or temp root the phone so that I can use Titanium to backup game/app data.

Every thread I read says the phone will have all the data wiped to obtain root. Is there any way to get root so I can backup my data first?

Thank you for the help in advance!
10th August 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 55
 
123 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Use Sunshine to S-OFF your phone : http://theroot.ninja/ This is paid app.
Install Custom Recovery: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m8 . Go into fastboot mode and type:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
recovery.img is the TWRP recovery image you downloaded before. Just rename it to recovery.img

Boot into your new recovery. Press reboot system in the recovery menu. It will detect that the system is unrooted and ask you if you want to root it. Press yes and it will root your phone permanently.


You can try Towelroot for a temproot if you want first: https://towelroot.com/
When you install it press the welcome to towelroot three times. In the textbox type "1337 0 1 0 4 1" as stated here: https://towelroot.com/modstrings.html

Check out this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2725099 but do not use the htcdev method as stated there because it will erase all your data. Use Sunshine
10th August 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #3  
an0ther's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 201
 
589 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayaabby

Im sorry if this was already posted elsewhere...but I cannot find what I am looking for.

I have an HTC One M8 with T-Mobile. Its is running slow and I want to wipe it fresh and get everything reinstalled back on. I do not currently have root and I am trying to find a way to root or temp root the phone so that I can use Titanium to backup game/app data.

Every thread I read says the phone will have all the data wiped to obtain root. Is there any way to get root so I can backup my data first?

Thank you for the help in advance!

This should be in Q&A but why not just let google backup your data?
You have to have root to use sunshine, towel root may or may not work. Ive had 50/50 luck with it on m8's.
10th August 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
92 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasyeah

Use Sunshine to S-OFF your phone : http://theroot.ninja/ This is paid app.
Install Custom Recovery: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m8 . Go into fastboot mode and type:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
recovery.img is the TWRP recovery image you downloaded before. Just rename it to recovery.img

Boot into your new recovery. Press reboot system in the recovery menu. It will detect that the system is unrooted and ask you if you want to root it. Press yes and it will root your phone permanently.


You can try Towelroot for a temproot if you want first: https://towelroot.com/
When you install it press the welcome to towelroot three times. In the textbox type "1337 0 1 0 4 1" as stated here: https://towelroot.com/modstrings.html

Check out this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2725099 but do not use the htcdev method as stated there because it will erase all your data. Use Sunshine

No go with towelroot or sunshine. towelroot says its done but when i open titanium it says it was unable to acquire root.
sunshine says my VM version is incompatible and to change in dev options but dont see it in there to change.

It doesnt look like I will be able to acquire root.

I would use google backup but it doesnt back up app/game data as far as I know. I would rather use titanium rather than hope google backup backup everything i hoped...
10th August 2014, 08:55 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 55
 
123 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther

This should be in Q&A but why not just let google backup your data?
You have to have root to use sunshine, towel root may or may not work. Ive had 50/50 luck with it on m8's.

New version of Sunshine should be able to gain root access on its own. Don't know why it does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayaabby

No go with towelroot or sunshine. towelroot says its done but when i open titanium it says it was unable to acquire root.
sunshine says my VM version is incompatible and to change in dev options but dont see it in there to change.

It doesnt look like I will be able to acquire root.

I would use google backup but it doesnt back up app/game data as far as I know. I would rather use titanium rather than hope google backup backup everything i hoped...

If you are stock Sunshine should be able to root your device itself. You could also try Weaksauce http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699089
What firmware & android version do you have?
Last edited by andreasyeah; 10th August 2014 at 08:58 AM.
10th August 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
92 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasyeah

New version of Sunshine should be able to gain root access on its own. Don't know why it does not work.



If you are stock Sunshine should be able to root your device itself. You could also try Weaksauce http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699089
What firmware & android version do you have?

Finally got it working. Thanks everyone for the help!!
Last edited by zayaabby; 10th August 2014 at 05:14 PM.
10th August 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 55
 
123 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayaabby

Finally got it working. Thanks everyone for the help!!

Ok if you need any help ask!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in One (M8) Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank