FORUMS

Dr.Ketan Brings The S6 Theme Store To The Note 4

Dr.Ketan has submitted a video to the forums showing a functional port of the Galaxy S6 … more

Do You Have Insurance on Your Smartphone?

While affordable smartphones are becoming more available, the majority of high-end flagships … more

Apple Music Will Increase iTunes Match to 100,000 Songs

The battle for music streaming subscription dominance is starting to really heat … more

Xposed Framework Updated to v65

Xposed Framework is an extremely popular modification platform for Android, so much so that we included … more

Rooting with 3.18 bootloader

57 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By DesireRoss, Member on 14th February 2015, 05:29 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi guys,

I've had my M8 since June '14 when I first rooted, S-OFF etc to install CM 11.

Now I'm stuck on CM11 as I can't upgrade my bootloader. Well, at least I can if I flash back to a developer RUU and then upgrade that to achieve the 3.18 bootloader AND THEN root, and S-OFF AGAIN.

I don't really want to do it, but I have no choice. I've heard the original Firewater method for rooting is now defunct, so what method would I now use to root and achieve S-OFF again once I've flashed back to the developer RUU?

Oh also, I'll need to flash a custom recovery too.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

14th February 2015, 05:32 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,684

More
Post your getvar all output and we'll go from there but you should be able to just flash the firmware package via RUU mode and you're good to go
14th February 2015, 05:34 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Is that an ADB command?
14th February 2015, 05:36 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor

More
fastboot getvar all (don't post your IMEI and serial number though)
14th February 2015, 05:42 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

fastboot getvar all (don't post your IMEI and serial number though)

getvar /all output
14th February 2015, 06:24 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor

More
OK, this should be easy. Download THIS (rename it firmware.zip - not firmware.zip.zip!) and flash in RUU mode (fastboot oem rebootRUU) using fastboot flash zip firmware.zip. Once flashed, use fastboot reboot-bootloader to get back to the bootloader and then flash the latest TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) and flash CM12 (or whatever Lollipop ROM you wanna use)

All the above with flash the latest firmware, inc. HBOOT 3.19.0000 and the latest radio, and you should be good to go!
14th February 2015, 06:26 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:

OK, this should be easy. Download THIS (rename it firmware.zip - not firmware.zip.zip!) and flash in RUU mode (fastboot oem rebootRUU) using fastboot flash zip firmware.zip. Once flashed, use fastboot reboot-bootloader to get back to the bootloader and then flash the latest TWRP (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) and flash CM12 (or whatever Lollipop ROM you wanna use)

Thanks for your help mate. Although that firmware file seems really small? I'm currently running CM11 if that changes anything?
14th February 2015, 06:27 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor

More
Firmware is literally just the new bootloader, radio, etc. and the ROM covers the rest. Trust me
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2015, 07:00 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Firmware is literally just the new bootloader, radio, etc. and the ROM covers the rest. Trust me

Now running CM12! Thank you my friend!
14th February 2015, 07:32 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Ah, I've lost root.... How do I go about getting this back? SuperSU doesn't work..?

EDIT: Worked it out, sorry!
Last edited by DesireRoss; 14th February 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread