Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

The History of Flagships: Part I – Sony

Every OEM aspiring to conquer the mobile world undoubtedly releases its take on the so-called … more

XDA & New Relic Performance Monitoring [Sponsored]

In other posts we’ve raved about New Relic Mobile for monitoring performance of our … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

cpu cores does not go offline, never satys at low frequencie

OP K-a-M-u-Z-u

13th September 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128

261 posts
Hi.
i'm on stock 4.4.3, s-off+root and stock kernel+recovery.

i want it to scale the cpu from 300 to 1900 of even 1700 to save battery and to keep it cooler.i dont like the power saver option of htc because its to slow for daily use.
no matter what app i try use to control the cpu, i can see it will not stick to low cpu frequencies.its always jumping around the 900+ ghz ,sometimes it will go to 300 mhz, but will go higher again afetr few seconds and the cpus never goes offline.i have tried SETCPU, TRICKSTER,CPU CONTROL, KERNEL TUNER.

i have read that HTC uses PERFLOCK.could it be responsible for that? anyway to bypass it if so?
setcpu has a trick to bypass this, but its not working under the htc one m8.
any way to change the frequencies of the htc's built in power saver?

thanks.
13th September 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #2  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,929

13,538 posts
More
Perhaps the stock kernel can't be adjusted?

Have you tried a custom kernel?
13th September 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

261 posts
I don't want to switch kernel for now. I prefer to have complete stock.
13th September 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor

13,538 posts
More
Then as I said, it may not be possible. On most other devices I've used, altering frequencies on stock kernel is a no go.
13th September 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

261 posts
It can be adjusted on the higher end, it won't pass the frequency I have set as max. And it does go sometimes to the 300*i have set as min. The only thing annoying is that bouncing around 1000ghz allot.
The device is way too active on idle use. I came from Galaxy s2 and the cpu over stick to lowest possible frequency when the device is idle.
So something is wrong here and I can't pinpoint it.
All the bloatware is disabled, I use manual sync, no Google location and history reporting, no wifi scanning in the background . I have no strage wakelocks and alarms in bed. I even made a factory reset.
So what could lead to this strange behavior?
13th September 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #6  
Flag Lembeke
Thanks Meter: 96

183 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-a-M-u-Z-u

It can be adjusted on the higher end, it won't pass the frequency I have set as max. And it does go sometimes to the 300*i have set as min. The only thing annoying is that bouncing around 1000ghz allot.
The device is way too active on idle use. I came from Galaxy s2 and the cpu over stick to lowest possible frequency when the device is idle.
So something is wrong here and I can't pinpoint it.
All the bloatware is disabled, I use manual sync, no Google location and history reporting, no wifi scanning in the background . I have no strage wakelocks and alarms in bed. I even made a factory reset.
So what could lead to this strange behavior?

What governor is set?
If you take the powersave governor (which is most likely not included in the stock kernel), your cpu clock won't scale up that often.
If you want decent battery life, you'd go with ondemand or interactive. I suppose that those are included in the stock kernel.

Kernels like lionhearth scale a lot more often, which gives better performance when needed at the cost of a little battery power.

I would check it myself, to be sure, but I'll only have my device next Tuesday. So I have no idea about what governors are included in the stock kernel.
13th September 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor

13,538 posts
More
Yeah, all your issues would be solved with a custom kernel.

The stock one basically is what it is. No one will be able to give you much more help than that I doubt.

But, maybe I'm wrong. 😉
13th September 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

261 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhoax

What governor is set?
If you take the powersave governor (which is most likely not included in the stock kernel), your cpu clock won't scale up that often.
If you want decent battery life, you'd go with ondemand or interactive. I suppose that those are included in the stock kernel.

Kernels like lionhearth scale a lot more often, which gives better performance when needed at the cost of a little battery power.

I would check it myself, to be sure, but I'll only have my device next Tuesday. So I have no idea about what governors are included in the stock kernel.

Powersave governor will not help. This governor will only set the device to the lower frequency. The exact opposite of performance governor.
I'm using ondemand. The rest are :

I know that interactive allows the spend more time on higher frequencies than ondemand.
Conservative also show erratic behavior.
You meantuned lionheart kernel. I know only one custom kernel for htc one you, Elementalx.
Last edited by K-a-M-u-Z-u; 13th September 2014 at 06:21 PM.
14th October 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 35

215 posts
Same issue here.

I think stock kernel can switch cores offline; I think I did it once; but that day, I did several mistakes, and in the end the phone was unusable.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Can do it for sure: installed
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lticorecontrol
and after playing a bit, I now got core 3 always disabled. I was in OnDemand, and Interactive seems better for me for now. Cores more often at 300MHz, and phone remains fluent. I had tried Powersave this morning, and I could not even write an SMS; tapping each letter was taking more than 1s, and entering numbers was taking 5s.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread