Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Where are the new Camera features?

OP knightnz

13th October 2014, 02:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 249

1,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Supposedly the new firmware released last week added some new EYE features to the Camera like the ability to use both cameras at once to take a photo of yourself overlayed against whatever the main camera can see. I've had a look through the Camera app but can't see any of the new options in there. Where are they hidden?
13th October 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 468

1,250 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz

Supposedly the new firmware released last week added some new EYE features to the Camera like the ability to use both cameras at once to take a photo of yourself overlayed against whatever the main camera can see. I've had a look through the Camera app but can't see any of the new options in there. Where are they hidden?

The features aren't in the firmware, they are in the camera apk in the new 4.4.4 ROM. Firmware doesn't contain that kind of stuff.
13th October 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington

1,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

The features aren't in the firmware, they are in the camera apk in the new 4.4.4 ROM. Firmware doesn't contain that kind of stuff.

Ok, replace "firmware" with "ROM" (which is also incorrect) or whatever nomenclature you prefer, I'm still unable to find the new features that are supposedly in the new Camera app.
13th October 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Vancouver

1,250 posts
More
Quote:

Ok, replace "firmware" with "ROM" (which is also incorrect) or whatever nomenclature you prefer, I'm still unable to find the new features that are supposedly in the new Camera app.

That's because it is firmware. It isn't the camera apk.
The camera app isn't a part of firmware. Two totally separate things.
The 4.4.4 ROM update contains the camera apk. The firmware does not.
If you need further assistance understanding the difference, please use google.
If you want the new camera stuff, flash a 4.4.4 Sense based ROM.
Also, replacing the words is not what I did. I am correct. THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE THINGS! Not nomenclature.
You are asking for help and I offered it.
Keep being rude like that, and no one will want to help you.
Last edited by xunholyx; 13th October 2014 at 11:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington

1,599 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

That's because it is firmware. It isn't the camera apk.
The camera app isn't a part of firmware. Two totally separate things.
The 4.4.4 ROM update contains the camera apk. The firmware does not.
If you need further assistance understanding the difference, please use google.

Part of the problem with the terminology, is that on any other platform, that which is called a "ROM" on Android would be considered either "Firmware" (e.g. iPhone IPSW "Firmware") or a combination of that and just "Software".

I'm quite aware of the difference of the various partitions etc. When HTC themselves refer to a complete OTA (which includes bootloaders, radio's etc and all the other "firmware" components, as well as updated apps for the System partition), merely as a "Software update", the naming conventions get very blurry.

For the sake of argument in this case, yes, the new Camera.APK is provided in the updated "ROM". As it turns out, apparently the functionality is in the update, but another separate update to the new Camera and/or Gallery apk's is required from HTC to make all the new features available, some of them are in there now.

I fail to see how my comment could be considered rude, but if I've somehow offended you, then I apologise.
The Following User Says Thank You to knightnz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #6  
Flag Vancouver

1,250 posts
More
Quote:

Part of the problem with the terminology, is that on any other platform, that which is called a "ROM" on Android would be considered either "Firmware" (e.g. iPhone IPSW "Firmware") or a combination of that and just "Software".

I'm quite aware of the difference of the various partitions etc. When HTC themselves refer to a complete OTA (which includes bootloaders, radio's etc and all the other "firmware" components, as well as updated apps for the System partition), merely as a "Software update", the naming conventions get very blurry.

For the sake of argument in this case, yes, the new Camera.APK is provided in the updated "ROM". As it turns out, apparently the functionality is in the update, but another separate update to the new Camera and/or Gallery apk's is required from HTC to make all the new features available, some of them are in there now.

I fail to see how my comment could be considered rude, but if I've somehow offended you, then I apologise.

I'm a little cranky today. Sorry. I'm not offended, just an *sshole. Cheers!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread