FORUMS

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Where are the new Camera features?

13th October 2014, 01:55 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 255
 
Donate to Me
More
Supposedly the new firmware released last week added some new EYE features to the Camera like the ability to use both cameras at once to take a photo of yourself overlayed against whatever the main camera can see. I've had a look through the Camera app but can't see any of the new options in there. Where are they hidden?
 
 
13th October 2014, 09:03 PM |#2  
xunholyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 1,215
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz

Supposedly the new firmware released last week added some new EYE features to the Camera like the ability to use both cameras at once to take a photo of yourself overlayed against whatever the main camera can see. I've had a look through the Camera app but can't see any of the new options in there. Where are they hidden?

The features aren't in the firmware, they are in the camera apk in the new 4.4.4 ROM. Firmware doesn't contain that kind of stuff.
13th October 2014, 09:08 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 255
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

The features aren't in the firmware, they are in the camera apk in the new 4.4.4 ROM. Firmware doesn't contain that kind of stuff.

Ok, replace "firmware" with "ROM" (which is also incorrect) or whatever nomenclature you prefer, I'm still unable to find the new features that are supposedly in the new Camera app.
13th October 2014, 10:52 PM |#4  
xunholyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 1,215
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz

Ok, replace "firmware" with "ROM" (which is also incorrect) or whatever nomenclature you prefer, I'm still unable to find the new features that are supposedly in the new Camera app.

That's because it is firmware. It isn't the camera apk.
The camera app isn't a part of firmware. Two totally separate things.
The 4.4.4 ROM update contains the camera apk. The firmware does not.
If you need further assistance understanding the difference, please use google.
If you want the new camera stuff, flash a 4.4.4 Sense based ROM.
Also, replacing the words is not what I did. I am correct. THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE THINGS! Not nomenclature.
You are asking for help and I offered it.
Keep being rude like that, and no one will want to help you.
Last edited by xunholyx; 13th October 2014 at 10:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2014, 11:05 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 255
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

That's because it is firmware. It isn't the camera apk.
The camera app isn't a part of firmware. Two totally separate things.
The 4.4.4 ROM update contains the camera apk. The firmware does not.
If you need further assistance understanding the difference, please use google.

Part of the problem with the terminology, is that on any other platform, that which is called a "ROM" on Android would be considered either "Firmware" (e.g. iPhone IPSW "Firmware") or a combination of that and just "Software".

I'm quite aware of the difference of the various partitions etc. When HTC themselves refer to a complete OTA (which includes bootloaders, radio's etc and all the other "firmware" components, as well as updated apps for the System partition), merely as a "Software update", the naming conventions get very blurry.

For the sake of argument in this case, yes, the new Camera.APK is provided in the updated "ROM". As it turns out, apparently the functionality is in the update, but another separate update to the new Camera and/or Gallery apk's is required from HTC to make all the new features available, some of them are in there now.

I fail to see how my comment could be considered rude, but if I've somehow offended you, then I apologise.
The Following User Says Thank You to knightnz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2014, 11:12 PM |#6  
xunholyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 1,215
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz

Part of the problem with the terminology, is that on any other platform, that which is called a "ROM" on Android would be considered either "Firmware" (e.g. iPhone IPSW "Firmware") or a combination of that and just "Software".

I'm quite aware of the difference of the various partitions etc. When HTC themselves refer to a complete OTA (which includes bootloaders, radio's etc and all the other "firmware" components, as well as updated apps for the System partition), merely as a "Software update", the naming conventions get very blurry.

For the sake of argument in this case, yes, the new Camera.APK is provided in the updated "ROM". As it turns out, apparently the functionality is in the update, but another separate update to the new Camera and/or Gallery apk's is required from HTC to make all the new features available, some of them are in there now.

I fail to see how my comment could be considered rude, but if I've somehow offended you, then I apologise.

I'm a little cranky today. Sorry. I'm not offended, just an *sshole. Cheers!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes