[Q] I got semi-scammed on swappah, can I have some peoples opinions on what to do?

OP EeyoreSyndrome

22nd August 2014, 03:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 17

91 posts
I purchased a used "unlocked" HTC One M8 (T-Mobile) on swappah and received it May 18th 2014. As of Aug 12th 2014 however, I lost my T-Mobile connectivity (tho thankfully I am on prepaid anyway) ; the ESN is now blocked and on T-Mobiles blacklist for non-payment of its EIP. It is still however still clear on the global white list, I even tried a friends AT&T SIM and it worked.

Anyway I will paste the current swappah comments here:

Quote:

EeyoreSyndrome @XDA - Aug. 17, 2014 7:02 p.m. United States (US)
As of 8/12/2014 I no longer was able to pull a signal from T-mobile on this phone. I had assumed it was because of intermittent connectivity as they are upgrading in my home and work area.

However, after seeing co-workers also on T-mobile, no longer having any issues, I decided to contact T-mobile for assistance. After troubleshooting they had found there is no problem on my end, but suggested I take it into a store to get a new SIM card just in case. (This was via online chat)

I finally got into a store today, 8/17/2014 and they swapped my SIM no problem, however still the same issue, limited signal. After doing a fresh ESN check, the manager said my phone has been blocked, most likely do to non-payment of an EIP from the seller. Tho I have to wonder why the online chat person did not think of doing this......

So now, I am posting this, asking what my next step to be taken is. I did do an IMEI check before I bought the phone and it was white listed and had no issues on T-mobiles end. I just did a fresh one myself, and sure enough, T-mobile has blacklisted it.

Swappa Staff person- Aug. 17, 2014 7:15 p.m. United States (US)
Sorry to hear of the complaints. We can confirm the phone now shows blocked "likely due to non-payment". Swappa is aware of the issue and requires a response from the seller.

The probably scammer - Seller - Aug. 18, 2014 2:25 a.m.
Hi EeyoreSyndrome@XDA. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I am currently working with T-Mobile to resolve this and will hear back from them within 48 hours. If T-Mobile cannot help resolve this issue, I will refund you the money no questions asked. Again I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. I will update you as soon as I hear back from them.

EeyoreSyndrome @XDA - Aug. 19, 2014 10:14 p.m. United States (US)
Hello Aaron, just wondering if there has been any progress. Thanks.

The probably scammer - Seller - Aug. 20, 2014 1:48 a.m.
Hi EeyoreSyndrome @XDA. No update from T-Mobile yet but if I don't hear back from them by tomorrow night, I'll give you a full refund. Don't want to keep you waiting too long without a phone. Thanks again for your patience.

EeyoreSyndrome @XDA - Aug. 21, 2014 12:57 p.m. United States (US)
Good morning, still no go for any T-Mobile signal. As for a refund how do we go about that? Do I have to request one from PayPal?

The probably scammer - Seller - Aug. 21, 2014 1:32 p.m.
Good afternoon. Still no reply from T-Mobile. No need to request it from Paypal. I'll just issue you a refund from the original Paypal payment. Would you be okay if I issued you the refund when I receive the phone? Just want to make sure that it comes back to me in the same condition I shipped it to you.

Swappa Staff person - Aug. 21, 2014 1:38 p.m. United States (US)
Sorry to hear this isn't going to work out.

For returns, the seller should provide instructions / address and the device should be shipped back with tracking and proper insurance. The refund should be processed promptly when the device is received.

The buyer should provide the ESN / IMEI / MEID of the device they are returning on this page before shipping back.

PayPal, who provides the payment protections, recommends the buyer file a dispute before sending back.

Let us know when the device is on the way back and we will cancel out the sale and refund the sale fee.

I am now unsure of what to do. I technically no longer have trust with this buyer. I even checked his history on swappah and it is really fishy that he has sold two other HTC One M8s as well.......secondly: T-Mobile to my knowledge only unlocks phones if their EIP is completely paid off and the person has been in good account standing/used the phone for at least 45 days?? -At the very least I've confirmed that it is indeed unlocked.

There seems to be many other people that have gotten burned this way, either it being from E-bay, Craigslist or even Swappah with T-mobile used phones, as currently they are not allowed to tell people if a phone is on a EIP or not, which to me is retarded, they should fix this policy.

As you can see, both swappah and the seller want me to return the phone before I get a refund....but what's to stop the seller from simply not giving me a refund? The purchase was defiantly more then 45 days ago......so technically I do not see what good issuing a paypal dispute past that time frame would do, or if it is even possible.

Should I tell the seller I want a refund before I give him a tracking # / ship it back? Or go 50% up front then the other 50% after?

Should I simply call my CC company and ask for a fraud-charge-back? Tho I think it is now past their 90 day protection window as well.....funny how scammers do that hmm?

Or should I simply put the phone onto straight talk / AT&T and either A) transfer my T-mobile prepaid # to it and be stuck on that (I really like the $30 5G data / unlim messages 100 min T-mobile plan) or B) try reselling it on craigslist / swappah boneyard as T-Mobile bad ESN (But still works on ATT/Straight Talk) ?

Thanks for any advice or consolation for my issue here ; ;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esn.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (68.8 KB, 75 views)
Last edited by EeyoreSyndrome; 22nd August 2014 at 03:08 AM.
22nd August 2014, 03:19 AM   |  #2  
OP Member

91 posts
And while I am at it, would it be a good idea to flash a stock AT&T Rom and update the OTA in order to get the ATT radios/firmware? From what I've read both M8s have identical hardware.....so in theory to maxamize their potention it'd be a good idea to use the correct rom for each carrier w/their sim service correct?
23rd August 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #3  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,140

10,310 posts
More
A rough situation for sure. Personally, I'd return it to him, however you need to do it. There's a good chance if you keep it, the blacklist likely will eventually make it to all North American carriers, and you'll be out of luck. I wouldn't take that chance myself. I'd rather take the chance of sending it to him.

That's just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 02:00 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

91 posts
Wink
yes thank you for getting back to me!

I did decide to go through and mail it back to the seller.

In fact he compromised with me, and even has refunded 50% upfront (got it just mins ago in my paypal!) and the other half when he receives it.
23rd August 2014, 02:18 AM   |  #5  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,140

10,310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreSyndrome

yes thank you for getting back to me!

I did decide to go through and mail it back to the seller.

In fact he compromised with me, and even has refunded 50% upfront (got it just mins ago in my paypal!) and the other half when he receives it.

Sounds like he is being pretty honest then. Awesome!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread