[Q] No service and on-screen button doesnt work

OP Oyori

2nd September 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leuven
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
More
I have a rooted htc one m8 running 4.4.2, I've had it in my pocket, and the thing is it unlocks itself sometimes, and the screen is turned on. So today I turned it off, and when I turned it back on I lost service. The pin input screen doesn't pop up anymore, not after shutting it down and restarting, and turning my airplane mode on and off, on top of that my my middle on-screen button doesn't work anymore. I can press it and It gives me feedback by vibrating, however it doesn't take me back to my homescreen anymore. This is enervating as you see, not being able to talk or send messages... Please do give me a solution or refer me to the thread treating this issue as I've not found such thread. Thanks in advance!
2nd September 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 90

354 posts
More
Regarding the "Home Button" I don't have any clue.. Rooted my One as well and never happened to have this problem.

The no service maybe is not directly linked to the other problem. Are you using an original nano SIM, or did you cut it yourself? If yes it could have caused a defect which has not occurred right away. Have you tried removing the SIM tray while phone is on and place it back in? If not what happens when doing this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to HTCNerdYoda For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leuven

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCNerdYoda

Regarding the "Home Button" I don't have any clue.. Rooted my One as well and never happened to have this problem.

The no service maybe is not directly linked to the other problem. Are you using an original nano SIM, or did you cut it yourself? If yes it could have caused a defect which has not occurred right away. Have you tried removing the SIM tray while phone is on and place it back in? If not what happens when doing this.

I'm using an original nano sim, and yes I did try removing it. I haven't dropped my phone, nor was the sim out of place, no dust or water could have reached it either, I've got a sturdy case around it!
2nd September 2014, 07:32 PM   |  #4  
Flag Cologne

354 posts
More
Do you know how to use adb and fastboot commands?

If yes you could try to clear the whole cache of the phone to check if the problems result of some data in the cache.

The commands would be

adb fastboot bootloader
fastboot erase cache

No data will be lost by this. Thus this is what I would try first. Otherwise I would - as long as you are completely stock - perform a factory reset. By this all data on the phone would be lost including installed APPs, but it is with it, if you get the problem solved by this.

3rd September 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leuven

7 posts
More
Quote:

If yes you could try to clear the whole cache of the phone to check if the problems result of some data in the cache.

The commands would be

adb fastboot bootloader
fastboot erase cache

No data will be lost by this. Thus this is what I would try first. Otherwise I would - as long as you are completely stock - perform a factory reset. By this all data on the phone would be lost including installed APPs, but it is with it, if you get the problem solved by this.

I've factory reseted it, wanting to flash the stock recovery so i could install the 4.4.3 ota, however inbetween everything I installed a back- up from twrp recovery. i didn't even know I had backed it up, it was a fairly recent one. So I got lucky, the problem has resolved itself, thank you for your help!
7th September 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leuven

7 posts
More
Quote:

The commands would be

adb fastboot bootloader
fastboot erase cache

I've backtracked the root of the evil, the latest update of Echo Lockscreen bypasses the pin-input screen which causes the 'home' button to malfunction and obviously the fact that I couldn't get service! So I disabled it and put my pin in and enabled the lockscreen back on!
Last edited by Oyori; 7th September 2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added information
The Following User Says Thank You to Oyori For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #7  
Flag Cologne

354 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyori

I've backtracked the root of the evil, the latest update of Echo Lockscreen bypasses the pin-input screen which causes the 'home' button to malfunction and obviously the fact that I couldn't get service! So I disabled it and put my pin in and enabled the lockscreen back on!

Thanks for this information. I guess it will be of use for others encountering the same problem as you did!

Maybe you could add [Solved] at the end of your OP so erveryone recognizes right away when scrolling through Q&A.
Last edited by HTCNerdYoda; 7th September 2014 at 11:10 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread