Ask a question

No registration required

Stock AT&T ROM w/o bloatware?

OP hattrickinc

29th July 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45

142 posts
I've searched the forum threads, but not sure if I've found what I'm looking for, which is basically the stock AT&T Rom just without the 6,000 bloatware apps.

Does that exist?
29th July 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,360

7,739 posts
I think most people here would consider once you start removing things, you've ventured out of "stock ROM" territory and into custom or at least "stockish" ROM territory. Reason being, what one person considers bloat, someone else might actually like. Although I'm with you, in that zero of the AT&T specific apps are remotely useful.

If you truly want something stock (but debloated) your best bet is probably to debloat yourself, although I'm sure you already know that.

The alternative is to look at the AT&T based custom ROMs like Skyfall or M8Rx and see if they meet your needs. Although, these still might be too "customized" based on what you are looking for. The ROMs mentioned are listed in my Index of the AT&T specific M8 forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751432

For that matter, I wouldn't even limit myself to AT&T base, as in my opinion almost any other stock or custom ROM is better. Not only less bloat on many other carrier versions, but also things like WiFi hotspot (tethering) are not restricted (if you don't have a tethering plan).
Last edited by redpoint73; 29th July 2014 at 09:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45

142 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

I think most people here would consider once you start removing things, you've ventured out of "stock ROM" territory and into custom or at least "stockish" ROM territory. Reason being, what one person considers bloat, someone else might actually like. Although I'm with you, in that zero of the AT&T specific apps are remotely useful.

If you truly want something stock (but debloated) your best bet is probably to debloat yourself, although I'm sure you already know that.

The alternative is to look at the AT&T based custom ROMs like Skyfall, M8Rx or NV and see if they meet your needs. Although, these still might be too "customized" based on what you are looking for. All the ROMs mentioned are listed in my Index of the AT&T specific M8 forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751432

For that matter, I wouldn't even limit myself to AT&T base, as in my opinion almost any other stock or custom ROM is better. Not only less bloat on many other carrier versions, but also things like WiFi hotspot (tethering) are not restricted (if you don't have a tethering plan).

I agree with everything you're saying, thank you for the reassurance on what I thought. I'm using Skydragon now, and it's great and all, but once you see that changelog with what the dev changed it's like ugh...

I'll check out the other rom's you mentioned.
30th July 2014, 07:14 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

20 posts
Donate to Me
More
A lot of the sense based ROM's have the stock look an most use the aroma installer to to install them an let you pick what HTC and Google apps to install or remove.
14th August 2014, 08:24 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 18

81 posts
Visual Voicemail alone is a good reason to use an AT&T base IMO

I'm using Skyfall, but there are several ATT base options now. However, you will need to make sure the ROM specifies ATT base and not just ATT compatibility (which practically any international base ROM has).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread