Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,332 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stupid questions about flashing stock on HTC

Tip us?

tmorterlaing
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default [Q] Stupid questions about flashing stock on HTC

Sorry about this, it could well be obvious-
I'm used the the nexus way of thinking, where I started on pure android, so anything 'on top' of that (custom roms) would never lose anything, simply gain things. I'm getting an HTC One tomorrow (M8), which brings questions I've never had to think about, as I've always live in Google's bleeding edge of updates lane:

Now, obviously HTC runs sense which has various features, battery saving mode, blink feed etc, camera app specifically designed for duo, etc.
If I flash it so it's effectively the Play edition, does it keep any of the HTC apps? (I suppose what I',m asking is where is the line between HTC apps and HTC's "ROM"). Same goes for if I flash a custom ROM like Carbon or CM...

Also, and again sorry about this, but I don't understand how it works- if Carbon ROM (for example) is up to 4.4.4, and 4.4.4 hasn't been officially released for this HTC phone, does that just mean that the ROM developer has ported the 4.4.4 features and code to be compatible with the HTC in that ROM?

BenPope
Old
Thanks Meter 947
BlinkFeed, battery saving and the camera are integral parts of the ROM. They require Sense, they require a sense based ROM. They're not standalone apps. You will lose then if you don't have a sense based ROM and they cannot be added after.

Maybe there is a decent camera app for the Google Phone Experience edition.

You kind of have to choose whether you want Sense or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to BenPope For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
Sorry about this, it could well be obvious-
I'm used the the nexus way of thinking, where I started on pure android, so anything 'on top' of that (custom roms) would never lose anything, simply gain things. I'm getting an HTC One tomorrow (M8), which brings questions I've never had to think about, as I've always live in Google's bleeding edge of updates lane:

Now, obviously HTC runs sense which has various features, battery saving mode, blink feed etc, camera app specifically designed for duo, etc.
If I flash it so it's effectively the Play edition, does it keep any of the HTC apps? (I suppose what I',m asking is where is the line between HTC apps and HTC's "ROM"). Same goes for if I flash a custom ROM like Carbon or CM...

Also, and again sorry about this, but I don't understand how it works- if Carbon ROM (for example) is up to 4.4.4, and 4.4.4 hasn't been officially released for this HTC phone, does that just mean that the ROM developer has ported the 4.4.4 features and code to be compatible with the HTC in that ROM?
Kinda following on from Ben, the Sense-based ROMs have all of HTCs proprietary apps, such as BlinkFeed and their camera app. It's what you'll see when you get.

The Google Play edition (GPe) is basically like a Nexus device - it'll have none of HTCs visual changes or apps and will use all the Google apps like a Nexus device. You do get the motion gestures to turn the screen on with a swipe, and it does still use the depth camera and boom sound but other than that it'll behave like a Nexus. Some HTC apps can be downloaded from the Play Store but not many...

I tend to float between the GPe ROM and Sense depending on my mood, I'm on Sense right now
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r19

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pure+
Old
Thanks Meter 350
Check out this videohttp://youtu.be/8q3gGWn6HwM. Guy goes into quite a bit of detail explaining the differences of GPE vs. Sense 6. I actually used this video as a reference when I decided to try out a GPE Rom on my M8 a few weeks back.

Sent from my vR:M8
The Following User Says Thank You to Pure+ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tmorterlaing
Old
(Last edited by tmorterlaing; 3rd July 2014 at 08:47 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks so much all- that really simplifies it. So I guess it's best to view sense as just another ROM with it's own features- just in the same way Carbon rom has it's own battery saver modes, which I assume work a little differently again.

Next question then, the things I like from sense are the camera app and the battery saver modes- purely because theyre designed specifically for my device. Is there anything remotely similar? Is there a way of getting those APKs from sense or soemthing?

And finally, my phone has a carrier (O2) splash screen on startup- if I need to sell this in future, is there a version of the images I can get hold of or even just the latest version of sense? (As if it's come straight form the factory)- I can't seem to see how to fully factory flash this phone anywhere :s
Tags
4.4.4, features, pure, rom, sense