TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Tempered glass

OP HTC_One_M8_91

18th August 2014, 10:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22

230 posts
I want to use my phone without any case. I'm not afraid of scratches, but I'm afraid of screen cracking if I drop my phone. So my question is: if I use tempered glass, will it protect my screen from cracking? Or they will both be cracked? And I also want that glass is the thinnest. So I was thinking about getting 0.15 mm tempered glass. Is it different from 0.3mm or 0.4mm in term of protection, or does only the hardness matter?

Thank you for your reply.
18th August 2014, 12:02 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 32

143 posts
I've dropped mine many many times onto wood and concrete without a screen protector. The phone is a little chipped and scratched, but the screen is absolutely fine.

A nilkin tempered glass screen protector is a good investment as it feels brilliant although when I dropped mine with that on it smashed the corner of the protector.

The edges of the phone are slightly raised so without the screen protector on, a drop onto a flat surface will not damage the screen but will damage the screen protector.

A drop onto a raised surface like a stone would probably break the screen protector but don't know if it'd also damage the screen.

Question is, how often do you drop your phone, and how much do you want to spend on glass protectors?
18th August 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtcOneJon

I've dropped mine many many times onto wood and concrete without a screen protector. The phone is a little chipped and scratched, but the screen is absolutely fine.

A nilkin tempered glass screen protector is a good investment as it feels brilliant although when I dropped mine with that on it smashed the corner of the protector.

The edges of the phone are slightly raised so without the screen protector on, a drop onto a flat surface will not damage the screen but will damage the screen protector.

A drop onto a raised surface like a stone would probably break the screen protector but don't know if it'd also damage the screen.

Question is, how often do you drop your phone, and how much do you want to spend on glass protectors?

I was thinking about Nillkin, but I think it would be too thick. So I'm considering those 0.15 mm protectors in this topic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...glass-t2810825

I also thought about xtremeguard, since I use their normal protectors and they are great. It 50$, but with 85% off coupon it's just a few bucks. Only problem is that it's 0.4mm.

Which one would you recommend? I'm planning to spend 10-15$, because 40-50$ is really to much for a protector, in my opinion.
19th August 2014, 01:33 AM   |  #4  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 75

633 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is the one I use:

ZeroLemon® Ultra Glass Armor - 9H Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for HTC One M8
19th August 2014, 09:04 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Is it noticable a lot while it's on the phone, since it's 0.3mm?
19th August 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #6  
Flag Chicago

633 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC_One_M8_91

Is it noticable a lot while it's on the phone, since it's 0.3mm?

If your looking for it, but after putting on, I haven't paid much attention to it. I dropped my phone once, chipped away at the edges of the shield. The seller replaced it free. I like tempered glass, it is the only screen proctor I will put on my phones. The only bad thing is that it goes edge to edge with the glass. So if you have a case that touches the screen, that might cause a problem. I use a thin clear cars I got off ebay. Works for me.

Ultra 0.5mm Slim TPU Skin Clear new Case Transparent Cover
19th August 2014, 11:56 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oditius

If your looking for it, but after putting on, I haven't paid much attention to it. I dropped my phone once, chipped away at the edges of the shield. The seller replaced it free. I like tempered glass, it is the only screen proctor I will put on my phones. The only bad thing is that it goes edge to edge with the glass. So if you have a case that touches the screen, that might cause a problem. I use a thin clear cars I got off ebay. Works for me.

Ultra 0.5mm Slim TPU Skin Clear new Case Transparent Cover

The only annoying thing could be top edge, when I pull down notification bar.
Case wouldn't be a problem, because I'm planning to use phone without case, and that why I'm looking for a tempered glass, to protect screen from cracking.
19th August 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chicago

633 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC_One_M8_91

The only annoying thing could be top edge, when I pull down notification bar.
Case wouldn't be a problem, because I'm planning to use phone without case, and that why I'm looking for a tempered glass, to protect screen from cracking.

Actually then it could be a benefit, because going edge to edge means you will probably not touch the edge. And the edge is not sharp, nice and smooth. The price is cheap enough to try it. I have tried several over the last few months, mostly from China. But this is US born and works and feels great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread