[Q] Go back to stock

Search This thread

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Both times I converted to a lower version and did the update I had to flash the firmware twice to get radio(wifi data etc) to work properly. Just do the ota and flash firmware.

You're s-on yes? So you'll need to lock boot loader to flash, there is a guide by mike1986. Somewhere for HTC one m8.

Peggy1104

Oct 14, 2014
Both times I converted to a lower version and did the update I had to flash the firmware twice to get radio(wifi data etc) to work properly. Just do the ota and flash firmware.

You're s-on yes? So you'll need to lock boot loader to flash, there is a guide by mike1986. Somewhere for HTC one m8.

I have converted to a lower stock ROM from arhd 11.2 and have ran into a no WiFi issue after an ota update could you explain how to flash the firmware to get this working?? I'm s-on

Sent from my HTC One (M8)

Apr 29, 2014
Belo Horizonte
I Flashed a file named boot.emmc.win from inside the unzipped backup. I moved the file to my adb_fastboot folder and flashed it this way: fastboot flash recovery boot.emmc.win

Then I had trouble gaining access to custom recovery (TWRP) so I tried flashing the custom recovery again. I got in! Made a full wipe, chose "install", twrp > BACKUPS > Serialnumber > Backup.zip. But it failed!!!!! It was missing a md5 file???

I'm starting to regret all this root-mess :(

Like BerndM14 said:

Download any x.xx.401.x backup (HTC__001 will be fine).

After that, let your custom recovery (TWRP), and do this:
1) Place the nandroid backup unpacked on the sdcard of the phone in the right backup folder.
If you don't know your right backup folder:

TWRP\Backups\ or TWRP/Backups/serialnum/ (replace serialnum with your device's serial number. To have TWRP create the proper directory structure for you, just do a simple backup of just the boot partition and put the backup files in there)

2) Flash the boot.img or boot.emmc.win file from the nandroid backup with this command (fastboot mode):

fastboot flash boot boot.img

PS: Don't flash the boot.img with "fastboot flash recovery boot.img" command. That's why you had to flash TWRP again.

3) Access your custom recovery (TWRP)

4) Make a full wipe

5) Restore the nandroid backup and reboot

PS: Restore option is on TWRP > Restore. After access this, it will ask you to choose the folder that your have unzipped on the fisrt step (the one in the TWRP/Backups/serialnum/ folder).

6) Your phone now will be stock, BUT to receive OTA updates your ROM must be stock and your recovery must be stock. So, download a recovery that is with the same number of your downloaded backup (For example, if you download the x.xx.401.x backup, download the x.xx.401.x recovery too. If there is no exactly number for the recovery, download the one that start with the same number. For example, if you download x.xx.401.x backup you can download the recovery of x.xx.YY.Y version).

7) After you do the initial configurations of the stock ROM, access the fastboot again and flash the downloaded recovery with this command:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.emmc.win

That's it. Now with the stock ROM and the stock recovery, you can receive OTA updates (Settings>About>Softwares Updates).

Peggy1104

Oct 14, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696514

Post 3 has OTA collection, you can extract the firmware.zip from inside the OTA.zip file. That'll give you the 2.x firmware, I don't know if there is a 3.x available for your device or not.

I have downloaded that file, I presume that is the ota that I get notified about after I do the first one which causes my WiFi to stop working.
How do I go about extracting the firmware from the ota that I downloaded? Is there a way to manually install the ota as a whole?

Last edited:

RenBund88

Oct 20, 2014
Like BerndM14 said:

Download any x.xx.401.x backup (HTC__001 will be fine).

After that, let your custom recovery (TWRP), and do this:
1) Place the nandroid backup unpacked on the sdcard of the phone in the right backup folder.
If you don't know your right backup folder:

TWRP\Backups\ or TWRP/Backups/serialnum/ (replace serialnum with your device's serial number. To have TWRP create the proper directory structure for you, just do a simple backup of just the boot partition and put the backup files in there)

2) Flash the boot.img or boot.emmc.win file from the nandroid backup with this command (fastboot mode):

fastboot flash boot boot.img

PS: Don't flash the boot.img with "fastboot flash recovery boot.img" command. That's why you had to flash TWRP again.

3) Access your custom recovery (TWRP)

4) Make a full wipe

5) Restore the nandroid backup and reboot

PS: Restore option is on TWRP > Restore. After access this, it will ask you to choose the folder that your have unzipped on the fisrt step (the one in the TWRP/Backups/serialnum/ folder).

6) Your phone now will be stock, BUT to receive OTA updates your ROM must be stock and your recovery must be stock. So, download a recovery that is with the same number of your downloaded backup (For example, if you download the x.xx.401.x backup, download the x.xx.401.x recovery too. If there is no exactly number for the recovery, download the one that start with the same number. For example, if you download x.xx.401.x backup you can download the recovery of x.xx.YY.Y version).

7) After you do the initial configurations of the stock ROM, access the fastboot again and flash the downloaded recovery with this command:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.emmc.win

That's it. Now with the stock ROM and the stock recovery, you can receive OTA updates (Settings>About>Softwares Updates).

I'll give it a try. But shouldn't I be S-OFF?? And shouldn't my bootloader be locked??

RenBund88

Oct 20, 2014
Success!!!

I'll give it a try. But shouldn't I be S-OFF?? And shouldn't my bootloader be locked??

I followed every single step from your guide! Actually I'm doing OTA's as we speak!! :D

I didn't flash Stock ROM though.. I believe it was already in the Nandroid Backup???

Should I relock my bootloader as well?? Would it make any difference in my future stock-world :)?

Thanks A LOT, to all of you :)

Apr 29, 2014
Belo Horizonte

A did this exactly steps with my HTC M8. The bootloader is unlocked and it is S-ON. This works flawless for me. My device get all OTA's updates and then I could install another ROM.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

I followed every single step from your guide! Actually I'm doing OTA's as we speak!! :D

I didn't flash Stock ROM though.. I believe it was already in the Nandroid Backup???

Should I relock my bootloader as well?? Would it make any difference in my future stock-world :)?

Thanks A LOT, to all of you :)

Yes, you didn't have to flash the ROM. I don't know what exaclty is flashed with the boot or boot.emmc.win image. The Nandroid Backup replaces every ROM file so, I think we can say that the stock ROM is alreadly in the backup. :)

I don't think that relock the bootloader will make any difference, since HTC made the bootloader unlock by it own site (www.htcdev.com). Maybe it makes difference for selling.

arl221

Oct 21, 2014
Tirana
Li-nk don't work

here's the steps to get you back to stock
download this >NjZB8PHNylw5f3Y

while it's downloading go into TWRP and choose Backup
uncheck everything except boot ... do the backup

this will create a folder on your sdcard TWRP/BACKUPS/your_Serial_no/Todays date

when the download is complete extract it to the Todays date folder. Make sure it's just files in the folder and no folders

now boot back to TWRP and choose restore and restore the backup / make sure system and boot are checked.

you flash it the same as TWRP

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot

your phone should now be back to stock and ready for OTA update

LI-NK dos'nt work!! :( can you re-post it

nickrule1896

Jan 7, 2010
Yes, the 4.4.4 ROM MUST have 3.28.xxx.x firmware in order to function properly. You're still on much older firmware which is why you have excessively long boot up times, wifi/data problems(Outdated radio) etc. In order for the ARHD 21.0 to work correctly you must be on the correct firmware(4.4.4 android version, 3.28.401.6/7 <<<If you're international version which you are). This has been the case for some time now, you can do an easy google search "htc one m8 xda ..." along with something like "slow boot up" etc and you'll see that all of them had the same problems, outdated firmware.

Which is why you'll have to go back to stock and do the OTA updates as it comes. If you were S-OFF you could have done it manually and flashed the firmware manually but since you're S-ON you can't do it. Flashing Radio firmware you'll need to either be a) S-OFF or b) Official HTC OTA.
Hey same problem here, just that i am on HTC_044. I am really confuse too with all these recovery and firmware stuff. I have a few questions so anyone please help!
1. So if i am S-Offed, i need not restore nandroid backup, flash stock recovery all that?
2.You mean i just need to flash the firmware.zip corresponding to mine right?
3. Does flashing a firmware wipe anything?
4. If I can just flash my firmware, how do i know what is the current firmware i have so that i can choose which firmware OTA to download?

Alx0363

Mar 2, 2010
Vercelli
Hi, after reading many pages i'm confused....
I'm S-ON.
I need to return to stock from ViperOne 1.8.0 to recive the OTA.
Before change ROM i made (just after the root) a TWRP backup of stock ROM (full).
Is sufficent to restore this backup from TWRP or need other actions?

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Hi, after reading many pages i'm confused....
I'm S-ON.
I need to return to stock from ViperOne 1.8.0 to recive the OTA.
Before change ROM i made (just after the root) a TWRP backup of stock ROM (full).
Is sufficent to restore this backup from TWRP or need other actions?

You need to restore stock recovery as well. If you don't, the OTA will look for stock recovery to install the update, fail to find it and OTA will fail to install. You will probably also be stuck in a bootloop (as the phone keeps trying to boot into stock recovery).

Since its kind of a "trick" to use custom recovery to backup stock recovery, you probably haven't done so, and need to look at the following thread to see if your stock recovery is posted:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

Alx0363

Mar 2, 2010
Vercelli
Ok..thanks but i have also another doubt:
The boot.img must be flashed via PC (fastboot) or via TWRP (and so on every time tell flash in explanation in post 26).
Thanks
Alex
P.s.: answer myself...following post 26 and use fastboot with PC when needed...perfectly back to stock, retrive OTA's and now on ViperOne 3.0.1. :good:
...sorry a bit noob :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. I want to go back to stock recovery to perform an OTA (4.4.4). I'm currently using ViperOne m8 2.5. My Cid is called HTC_Y13. But I couldn't find it anywhere.

What to do?

I'm Danish by the way. My phone is a One M8 and I believe it's the international model..

Kind Regards René Bundgaard

COLLECTION of Stock backup's

Your CID is HTC__Y13 you can download any x.xx.401.x backup from that thread.

The WWE (World Wide English) nandroid backups have the same main version build numbers. All these nands have the main number that is based on the x.xx.401.xx build and all these CIDS are compatible

HTC__001
    HTC__E11
    HTC__102
    HTC__203
    HTC__405
    HTC__Y13 <<<THERE IS YOUR CID
    HTC__304
    HTC__A07
    HTC__002
    HTC__016
    HTC__032
    HTC__J15
    HTC__M27
    HTC__A48
    HTC__K18

Download any x.xx.401.x backup (HTC__001 will be fine) and backup through correct custom recovery(Philz if it was Philz, TWRP if it was a TWRP created backup).

You can also download any x.xx.401.x stock recovery for your device OR you can grab the latest stock recovery from the OTA(Copy OTA.zip to your PC and extract the recovery.img file inside the firmware.zip).
    I'm also a little bit confuse with all information. I've been tryng to solve my ROM problem about 2 days.

I have flashed the ARHD 21.0 on my phone but a lot of errors are happening (common ones like no Wi-fi and other more annoying like extended reboot time). I'm trying to get back to the stock ROM to perform a update of my firmware but I'm kind of very lost in the forum.

My getvar is like:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: None
    (bootloader) version-main:
    (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
    (bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) imei2: Not Support
    (bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
    (bootloader) product: m8_ul
    (bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
    (bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
    (bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
    (bootloader) battery-status: good
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
    (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
    (bootloader) security: on
    (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
    (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
    (bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
    (bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

I'm very afraid to flash something wrong because everything went wrong with me. What version should I flash? I guess my phone is the International version (since I'm a brazilian and HTC don't sell phones here)

Thanks in advance.

No I guess your phone is an International version, not because you're Brazillian but because your CID says "HTC__001" which is International. Like You no doubt read in the 2 posts just above yours, download a nandroid backup for your device and restore it via the correct custom recovery. I even put a link to the thread with the nandroid collection in my first post here!!!

Just download the nandroid for your device, it'll be the 1.54.401.x backup seeing as you're still on the 3.16bootloader. 3.18 was 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 is 3.19 so you're probably still on 1.54.401.x. Download the 1.54.401 backup and restore in custom recovery. Afterwards just flash back the stock recovery.img

Make sure recovery.img is in your adb folder and boot into bootloader and use fastboot flash recovery recovery.img <That'll give you stock recovery again and you can reboot back into OS and download/install and update the OTA/Firmware as it comes all the way to 3.28.401.6/7
    Sorry man, but I did. I read the post before mine. But I like I said, I'm trying to do this about 2 days and everything went wrong, so I thought that the version HTC__Y13 could have a different procedure that HTC__001.

I'm not the kind of user that thinks the problem is just happening to him. I read a lot of things but seems that more I read, more doubt I get.

Anyway, thank you very much for the fast answer. I will try what you said. :good:

Just one doubt. My ROM is 4.4.4 and my bootloader is 3.16. Is this wrong?

Yes, the 4.4.4 ROM MUST have 3.28.xxx.x firmware in order to function properly. You're still on much older firmware which is why you have excessively long boot up times, wifi/data problems(Outdated radio) etc. In order for the ARHD 21.0 to work correctly you must be on the correct firmware(4.4.4 android version, 3.28.401.6/7 <<<If you're international version which you are). This has been the case for some time now, you can do an easy google search "htc one m8 xda ..." along with something like "slow boot up" etc and you'll see that all of them had the same problems, outdated firmware.

Which is why you'll have to go back to stock and do the OTA updates as it comes. If you were S-OFF you could have done it manually and flashed the firmware manually but since you're S-ON you can't do it. Flashing Radio firmware you'll need to either be a) S-OFF or b) Official HTC OTA.

Thanks man! I'm now on 3.28.401.6.

Before your post, I hadn't understood that I needed restore from 1.54.401.x backup (I almost restore 3.28.401.7).

Firewater didn't work in my device, so I have to pay $25 to be S-OFF (and $25 is a lot of money when converting to reais - currency of Brazil)

I will come back tomorrow to give you Thanks (reach my max today). :D

PS: The 3.28.401.7 update didn't arrive to my device.
    Because I'm at work and can't check to be 100% sure :) I know its definitely 2.26.61.* just not sure what the last number is. Feel like I have ended up with a phone that is going to be stuck in its current state forever now, can't upgrade, can't downgrade. What a mess :(

And if you flash the recovery and restore a new backup of your current version (COLLECTION of Stock backup's) ?

After the OTA, your wi-fi stop work but what about your mobile internet?

I don't know what can actually happen, just giving you ideas