Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 49,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Update and reverting to stock recovery

Tip us?

indafeis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Update and reverting to stock recovery

Ho guys
I recently rooted my phone so I could move files into my sd card (heard it was fixed with the last update?) and had to install a custom recovery.. Seems like I can't install the update with a custom recovery on.. Would going back to stock recovery fix this? Would I still have my phone rooted? Would it reset my phone again doing so? Thanks in advance

haruryu
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indafeis View Post
Ho guys
I recently rooted my phone so I could move files into my sd card (heard it was fixed with the last update?) and had to install a custom recovery.. Seems like I can't install the update with a custom recovery on.. Would going back to stock recovery fix this? Would I still have my phone rooted? Would it reset my phone again doing so? Thanks in advance
Hi, if you go back to stock it will reset your phone and yes, you can root a stock recovery. if you unlock your bootloader you can permroot your stock rom,

here is the perfect guide how to do it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2265618
HTC ONE M8

"THANKS" you too

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruryu View Post
if you unlock your bootloader you can permroot your stock rom,
[/url]
Since OP has custom recovery, they must have unlocked the bootloader.

My advice to the OP, since you are already bootloader unlocked, custom recovery, and root; just flash a stock rooted or custom ROM based on the updated software. Going back to a stock is a step backwards at this point, not forwards.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

DaFlouw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Since OP has custom recovery, they must have unlocked the bootloader.

My advice to the OP, since you are already bootloader unlocked, custom recovery, and root; just flash a stock rooted or custom ROM based on the updated software. Going back to a stock is a step backwards at this point, not forwards.
Hi, I'd like to update my rooted M8 to 4.4.3 as well and don't (yet) want a custom ROM. I searched a bit and found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2694994
Can I use this odexed file? And do I need a stock recovery? If yes, can I use this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1228648

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlouw View Post
Hi, I'd like to update my rooted M8 to 4.4.3 as well and don't (yet) want a custom ROM. I searched a bit and found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2694994
Can I use this odexed file? And do I need a stock recovery?
No, you do no need stock recovery to flash the linked stock ROM. You flash this with custom recovery.

Odexed will work. If you don't understand the difference between odexed vs. doedexed, than do a search and learn the difference, and what it will mean to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaFlouw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
No, you do no need stock recovery to flash the linked stock ROM. You flash this with custom recovery.

Odexed will work. If you don't understand the difference between odexed vs. doedexed, than do a search and learn the difference, and what it will mean to you.
Thank you.

After doing my research, I think I'll pick de deoxeded version, as customization is easier. But is there really a noticeable difference in speed? I will most likely just install xposed modules, should I therefore pick deoxeded or do they have nothing related? (I didn't get what kind of customization is meant in the wikis)

Sorry for asking so many questions

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlouw View Post

After doing my research, I think I'll pick de deoxeded version, as customization is easier. But is there really a noticeable difference in speed? I will most likely just install xposed modules, should I therefore pick deoxeded or do they have nothing related? (I didn't get what kind of customization is meant in the wikis)
Xposed should work with both deodexed and odexed ROMs; while other mods may require deodexed.

Whether there is a noticeable performance difference between odexed/deodexed, the following links saya no, with the exception of booting after clearing Dalvik:

http://www.redmondpie.com/odexed-vs-...oms-explained/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1851750

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]