Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Update and reverting to stock recovery

OP indafeis

28th July 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Ho guys
I recently rooted my phone so I could move files into my sd card (heard it was fixed with the last update?) and had to install a custom recovery.. Seems like I can't install the update with a custom recovery on.. Would going back to stock recovery fix this? Would I still have my phone rooted? Would it reset my phone again doing so? Thanks in advance
28th July 2014, 04:03 PM   |  #2  
haruryu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Amersfoort
Thanks Meter: 34
 
400 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by indafeis

Ho guys
I recently rooted my phone so I could move files into my sd card (heard it was fixed with the last update?) and had to install a custom recovery.. Seems like I can't install the update with a custom recovery on.. Would going back to stock recovery fix this? Would I still have my phone rooted? Would it reset my phone again doing so? Thanks in advance

Hi, if you go back to stock it will reset your phone and yes, you can root a stock recovery. if you unlock your bootloader you can permroot your stock rom,

here is the perfect guide how to do it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2265618
28th July 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #3  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,294
 
7,549 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruryu

if you unlock your bootloader you can permroot your stock rom,
[/url]

Since OP has custom recovery, they must have unlocked the bootloader.

My advice to the OP, since you are already bootloader unlocked, custom recovery, and root; just flash a stock rooted or custom ROM based on the updated software. Going back to a stock is a step backwards at this point, not forwards.
28th July 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Same problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Since OP has custom recovery, they must have unlocked the bootloader.

My advice to the OP, since you are already bootloader unlocked, custom recovery, and root; just flash a stock rooted or custom ROM based on the updated software. Going back to a stock is a step backwards at this point, not forwards.

Hi, I'd like to update my rooted M8 to 4.4.3 as well and don't (yet) want a custom ROM. I searched a bit and found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2694994
Can I use this odexed file? And do I need a stock recovery? If yes, can I use this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1228648
28th July 2014, 05:32 PM   |  #5  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,294
 
7,549 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlouw

Hi, I'd like to update my rooted M8 to 4.4.3 as well and don't (yet) want a custom ROM. I searched a bit and found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2694994
Can I use this odexed file? And do I need a stock recovery?

No, you do no need stock recovery to flash the linked stock ROM. You flash this with custom recovery.

Odexed will work. If you don't understand the difference between odexed vs. doedexed, than do a search and learn the difference, and what it will mean to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

No, you do no need stock recovery to flash the linked stock ROM. You flash this with custom recovery.

Odexed will work. If you don't understand the difference between odexed vs. doedexed, than do a search and learn the difference, and what it will mean to you.

Thank you.

After doing my research, I think I'll pick de deoxeded version, as customization is easier. But is there really a noticeable difference in speed? I will most likely just install xposed modules, should I therefore pick deoxeded or do they have nothing related? (I didn't get what kind of customization is meant in the wikis)

Sorry for asking so many questions
28th July 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #7  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,294
 
7,549 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlouw


After doing my research, I think I'll pick de deoxeded version, as customization is easier. But is there really a noticeable difference in speed? I will most likely just install xposed modules, should I therefore pick deoxeded or do they have nothing related? (I didn't get what kind of customization is meant in the wikis)

Xposed should work with both deodexed and odexed ROMs; while other mods may require deodexed.

Whether there is a noticeable performance difference between odexed/deodexed, the following links saya no, with the exception of booting after clearing Dalvik:

http://www.redmondpie.com/odexed-vs-...oms-explained/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1851750

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes