Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Port/Dual Booting?

Tip us?

robherley13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default Windows Port/Dual Booting?

Just recently, HTC and Verizon launched the HTC One M8 that comes stock with Windows Phone OS. Now since the phone has the exact same hardware, wouldn't that make it possible for us to port it over to our Android versions? I have seen this before on other HTC devices way back in the day as seen here. Personally, I would love to test out Windows on my M8 because I have personally never owned a Windows Phone before and having it Dual Boot would be awesome. If anyone knows about this, feel free to PM me! If I hear anything, I will update this post!

Thanks,
Rob

thom109
Old
Thanks Meter 229
We won't know for sure until one of us got their hands on the M8 with Windows itself, but previous leaks have said that the bootloaders are cross-compatible. In other words, Windows can be booted on the "normal" M8 and android on the Windows m8. If this is true, we can definitely get Windows on the existing M8. The next thing would be dual boot which could be a bit more tricky, but since I am no dev myself I wouldn't be able to tell how tricky exactly.
The Following User Says Thank You to thom109 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robherley13
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom109 View Post
We won't know for sure until one of us got their hands on the M8 with Windows itself, but previous leaks have said that the bootloaders are cross-compatible. In other words, Windows can be booted on the "normal" M8 and android on the Windows m8. If this is true, we can definitely get Windows on the existing M8. The next thing would be dual boot which could be a bit more tricky, but since I am no dev myself I wouldn't be able to tell how tricky exactly.
Awesome! Sounds promising.

HRodMusic
Old
Thanks Meter 224
i could careless for dual booting as long as i could alternate android and windows roms, wouldnt mind flashing one every week =)
Carrier: AT&T
Phone: HTC One (M8)

Phones
HTC Diamond->Blackberry Curve->G1->Motorola Rockr E8->IPhone 3G->Galaxy S Vibrant->IPhone 4-> HTC Sensation->Sidekick 4G ->SGS2 -> Galaxy Nexus-> IPhone 4S 32gb white- > Skyrocket-> Galaxy S3-> Nexus 4-> HTC One X -> White 32gb iPhone 5 ->Galaxy Note II -> HTC One -> Snowtrooper Nexus 5 32GB -> Note 3 -> LG G2 -> HTC ONE M8

jcable2
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I sure hope we will be able to easily flash WP onto the existing M8 on any carrier with out a problem. Would love to go it a Sprint M8 and put windows phone on it.

Oditius
Old
Thanks Meter 59

DONATE TO ME
Needs help, needs a dev with Kernel experience.

MultiRom
Oditius (2 HTC One M8's w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!

LenAsh
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,116
Please use this thread for discussions on this subject from now on. Consolidation.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...ndows-t2852507

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LenAsh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe