Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 38,923 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App] SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD

Tip us?

pradeepvizz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 621

DONATE TO ME
Default [App] SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD

This app is makes fix for writing to SD card a breeze! - tested on my phone and works brilliant!

Just install the app and then let it work its magic and in a few seconds its ready to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliebeck View Post
ROOT ACCESS IS REQUIRED.

I've written a simple app which modifies KitKat devices to allow user-installed applications to write to the MicroSD card on devices with two storage locations.

Background information on the underlying problem is available here: https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn Please ensure you understand the problem and that your device has it before installing this app. This app is quite useless if your device doesn't suffer this issue.

[[[[ THIS IS A BETA RELEASE. WHILE I HAVE TESTED THIS ON MULTIPLE DEVICES MANY TIMES, PLEASE RESTRICT YOUR USE OF THIS APP TO DEVICES YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO REFLASH FROM SCRATCH. I do not expect this to occur, but this is release #1 of this app, and it modifies a configuration file as root. That said, my test devices still work even when I deliberately corrupted and deleted the target file in testing. ]]]]

This app is entirely free. It doesn't have any ads, (but it does have a few Play Store links on its final screen to my other free apps).

Screenshots:

It will be going on the Play Store pending your feedback, but I wanted to post it here first. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

How it works: The /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml is modified to specify that all applications which have the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission are registered as members of the Android UNIX group "media_rw". Membership in this group is necessary to write to the MicroSD card.

In Android 4.3, most all devices granted access to the media_rw group to apps. In Android 4.4, they do not. This app simply restores the old behavior. From what I've observed this method (granting permission via platform.xml), also appears to be the preferred means of restoring SD card access on XDA and elsewhere.

This app is designed to abort if it sees absolutely anything that it does not expect. Please let me know if the app does not work for you, and what type of device/ROM/etc you're using. If the modification is unnecessary (due to media_rw access being already present) this app will make no modification.

The original platform.xml will be backed up in /system/etc/permissions as "platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix" (unless that file already exists).

Download
The installed app is named "NextApp SDFix".
XDA thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684188
HTC One MAX ||| HTC ONE > HOX+ > Nexus 7 > HOX > Xperia Arc > Xperia X10 Mini > K810 > K550 > K750
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pradeepvizz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dottat
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 792

DONATE TO ME
yep i used this last night on the nusense 6 rom...

worked pefectly and saved me a bunch of manual steps...
The Following User Says Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Soul H4ck3r
Old
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
can we uninstall the app after it finishes?

pradeepvizz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul H4ck3r View Post
can we uninstall the app after it finishes?
Yeah, don't think that is needed, but ill keep it just to remind me when i install a new ROM
HTC One MAX ||| HTC ONE > HOX+ > Nexus 7 > HOX > Xperia Arc > Xperia X10 Mini > K810 > K550 > K750

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 332
I'm using the Xposed sdcard module and it works fine for me. That way it is always there and I don't have to remember to flash it when I flash another ROM. Yes I have to flash xposed framework with new roms but do that second nature anyway.
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggity Janx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Frezi Evan
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Thanks.. I have used it Finally.. And also finished installing. I hope i will get something from that..

malcvr4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I dont know anything about rooting, but I managed to root my Sprint One Max. Tbe SD Fix apps says its working, but I still cant move files. I flashed TWRP 2.7.0.0 or something? Everything else works fine otherwise. Any help is appreciated.

afuller42
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcvr4 View Post
I dont know anything about rooting, but I managed to root my Sprint One Max. Tbe SD Fix apps says its working, but I still cant move files. I flashed TWRP 2.7.0.0 or something? Everything else works fine otherwise. Any help is appreciated.

not all apps can be moved to the sdcard. this app isn't like an app2sd app which was able to move the unmovable apps to sdcard.

malcvr4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
But should I be able to use ES Explorer to move files from phone to SD card? Or download stuff directly to sd card? Im not able to do that.

afuller42
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcvr4 View Post
But should I be able to use ES Explorer to move files from phone to SD card? Or download stuff directly to sd card? Im not able to do that.
downloading right to sd card im not sure about, I haven't tried large files of theres a option to do it or not. but all my videos/pictues from camera save to sd card. I can play some game roms from sd card, saving back and forth. also some apps save to sd card when installing. so I think something may of not worked right for you.

I also have no problem using root explorer to save and move things to sd card.

on the one max your external card is labled as "sdcard2" not just "sdcard" if you move anything to the "sdcard" you still on internal storage,ot sure if you knew that or not.

the external card is also located at /storage/ex_sd but I always just click the root "sdcard2" location (less steps )