Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,225 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help Needed with Sense 6 OTA update

Tip us?

appro77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Default Help Needed with Sense 6 OTA update

I've unlocked my bootloader, rooted and installed CWM custom recovery. Not surprisingly the Sense 6 update will download but it won't install. I tried to flash it manually with CWM but that won't work either. Again, no surprise.

Is there a workaround that I can use to install the Sense 6 update?

jerrycycle
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by appro77 View Post
I've unlocked my bootloader, rooted and installed CWM custom recovery. Not surprisingly the Sense 6 update will download but it won't install. I tried to flash it manually with CWM but that won't work either. Again, no surprise.

Is there a workaround that I can use to install the Sense 6 update?
Yes, you need the stock recovery not custom recovery to install the ota plus stock rom installed.
Phone: Htc One Max T6VZW
Rom: CM11
Theme: Black KitKat
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
Kernel: Default
Android version: 4.4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to jerrycycle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

appro77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycycle View Post
Yes, you need the stock recovery not custom recovery to install the ota plus stock rom installed.
Ok, I flashed stock recovery and the update looked like it was going to install but it failed about a third of the way through and gave me a red triangle. I rebooted and fortunately the phone is still working. I tried installing the update a second time with the same result. Any ideas?

jerrycycle
Old
(Last edited by jerrycycle; 3rd July 2014 at 12:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Ok, I flashed stock recovery and the update looked like it was going to install but it failed about a third of the way through and gave me a red triangle. I rebooted and fortunately the phone is still working. I tried installing the update a second time with the same result. Any ideas?
You have to have a pure stock rom. You may have to nandroid a stock or RUU but you have to decide that, but it have to be stock not root or any system file edits. Sorry, missed the bootloader need to be locked.
Phone: Htc One Max T6VZW
Rom: CM11
Theme: Black KitKat
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
Kernel: Default
Android version: 4.4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to jerrycycle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

appro77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycycle View Post
You have to have a pure stock rom. You may have to nandroid a stock or RUU but you have to decide that, but it have to be stock not root or any system file edits. Sorry, missed the bootloader need to be locked.
My rom is stock (Telstra Australia) but I've installed a few Xposed mods. If I do a factory reset I'm assuming that will take the rom back to stock. If I then remove root and relock the bootloader will I then be ok to flash the Sense 6 update?

Cjohn1200
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Mate, I'm having same issue, Telstra Australia.
Check out his thread. I think you need to save three files that get wiped when you unlock bootloader. The update looks for them. I'm still trying to get it to work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2800140
The Following User Says Thank You to Cjohn1200 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

appro77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjohn1200 View Post
Mate, I'm having same issue, Telstra Australia.
Check out his thread. I think you need to save three files that get wiped when you unlock bootloader. The update looks for them. I'm still trying to get it to work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2800140
Thanks. I tried the 3 files thing and it didn't work for me probably because the bootloader was still unlocked. I got sick of dicking around with it and decided to try to get S-off which I'd been having trouble achieving with Hboot 2.49. Finally got S-off and then flashed this.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53890999

Cheers.

Cjohn1200
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
My rom is stock (Telstra Australia) but I've installed a few Xposed mods. If I do a factory reset I'm assuming that will take the rom back to stock. If I then remove root and relock the bootloader will I then be ok to flash the Sense 6 update?
Quote:
Thanks. I tried the 3 files thing and it didn't work for me probably because the bootloader was still unlocked. I got sick of dicking around with it and decided to try to get S-off which I'd been having trouble achieving with Hboot 2.49. Finally got S-off and then flashed this.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53890999

Cheers.
Which method did you use to gain s-off? I couldn't get it to work.

appro77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Nothing was working for me and I'd almost given up but I was pointed to this.... http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

I was already rooted but for some reason the first method wouldn't work for me. ADB is very new to me so I may have done something wrong even though I tried it a couple of times. I used the second method but didn't use temproot cause I figured as I was already rooted I didn't need it. When I used the commands in the second method S-off was achieved.

The rom I mentioned above looks really good btw.

Cjohn1200
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing was working for me and I'd almost given up but I was pointed to this.... http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

I was already rooted but for some reason the first method wouldn't work for me. ADB is very new to me so I may have done something wrong even though I tried it a couple of times. I used the second method but didn't use temproot cause I figured as I was already rooted I didn't need it. When I used the commands in the second method S-off was achieved.

The rom I mentioned above looks really good btw.
Yeah it does look pretty slick. Wasn't sure about the large icons through. I watched a review on youtube. Looked a little strange...