No registration required

Seeking assistance to return to stock ROM

OP dlyon

19th August 2014, 12:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

22 posts
Hello,

I have an HTC One Mini (m4) and have spent approximately 3 days trying to grasp various pieces of jargon and babble of the Android community without success.

Between S-OFF, S-ON, firmware, recovery, new partition layouts, old partition layouts, OTA, Stock, kernels, custom ROMs, rumrunners, firewaters, various errors, root, adb, fastboot and other meaningless pieces of broken English, I am giving up. I have spent more time ****ing with my phone than using it in the past week.

I currently run a 'version' of Sense 5.5 made by tr1gg3r3d, on Android 4.4.2. Ultimately the only thing I wanted to achieve was to have an ordinary version of Sense but without the extraneous apps that clog it up. My phone is unlocked and 'tampered' (whatever the **** that means). What I have right now does not appear to update correctly and does not run certain apps that dislike root. The SD permissions do not work.

It is more or less useless for what I need it for.

I saw a ROM for Sense 6 here that requires 'S-OFF'... after spending 3 days jumping through hoops and following badly written instructions for 'S-OFF', and failing each time, trying around 4 different ROMs and script files that tell you nothing of what they're actually doing, I have given up trying to achieve 'S-OFF'. Do I even know what 'S-OFF' is? No.

Can someone give me simple instructions on how to achieve the following:
A phone running HTC Sense 6 (or even just 5.5) that behaves normally, isn't gimped with pointless graphics and allows the extra apps to be removed.
Preferably 'unrooted' as I use apps that dislike root.
Ideally recognised as 'official' HTC so that updates can be delivered without having to spend a week wading through 90 page forum threads.

Thanks in advance.
19th August 2014, 07:24 AM   |  #2  
Flag Scotland
Thanks Meter: 131

287 posts
More
Your 3days of reading have obviously been a complete waste of time bud as you posted in the wrong thread [emoji33]

Maybe you should have also read and understood the implications of unlocking, rooting your phone before you done so. It is well documented that certain apps eg.. banking ones etc will not work on rooted devices.. BUT there are certain modules created that can cloak root and may allow the app to work. As for removing unnecessary apps... There as also scripts/tools available to do so. It's all here on xda!
Slating a devs Rom that they have spent countless unpaid hours to bring to the xda community (that works flawlessly) is not the way to get help, nor is slating the guides/advice that other members have taken the time to post! Seems that you want the best of both worlds. There are guides on here that will help on whatever you choose to do if you can decipher all the babble/jargon and meaningless broken English.
Last edited by AnGrY sCoTsMaN; 19th August 2014 at 08:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnGrY sCoTsMaN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 12:47 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

28 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyon

Hello,

I have an HTC One Mini (m4) and have spent approximately 3 days trying to grasp various pieces of jargon and babble of the Android community without success.

Can someone give me simple instructions on how to achieve the following:
A phone running HTC Sense 6 (or even just 5.5) that behaves normally, isn't gimped with pointless graphics and allows the extra apps to be removed.
Preferably 'unrooted' as I use apps that dislike root.
Ideally recognised as 'official' HTC so that updates can be delivered without having to spend a week wading through 90 page forum threads.

Thanks in advance.

Had a similar experience myself trying to return to stock, for me I was getting cheesed off with the bugs and lack of working bank apps on custom ROMS.

I fixed it by following, and reading in between the lines, on this fellows instructions here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...nse-5-t2837799

I posted a similar help thread myself a few days ago, someone has replied to say S-OFF isn't crucial to doing this so worth a go maybe. I however did get S-OFF by using the method detailed here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2573479

I should tell you I was on HBOOT2.19. Not sure how important that is.

So here it was I did to get S-OFF

You've obviously got ADB working on your device so lets skip that.

1.Download revone: http://revolutionary.io/revone and copy it into the same folder as your ADB.

2. Open a CMD prompt and type these commands:
Code:
adb push revone /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/revone
Now wait a minute. I found I always got kicked out of the shell after 20 seconds or so, if you do then run adb shell once again.

3. Now type the below text. It is case sensitive so make sure that -P in the second command is uppercase:
Code:
cd /data/local/tmp

./revone -P
4.You'll get an error message, it should be "-2". This is good. Restart your phone using the power button.

5.Once you're back in open up the shell again and run the following commands:
Code:
adb shell
CD /data/local/tmp
./revone -s 0 -u
BAM! You're now in S-OFF mode.

HBOOT 2.2

I used this thread to get to HBOOT 2.22
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2584810
Whilst the instructions are fairly simple I will say it is case sensitive. So when you do
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
the RUU has to be in capital letters.

How to return to stock

1. First you need to get yourself TWRP recovery from here: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/216 and copy the .img file into the same directory as ADB and fastboot.

2. To flash the recovery you need to go into fastboot (hold the power button and the and the volume down button together from a cold boot) and type from a CMD prompt
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
where recovery.img is the name of the download.
Mine was called openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-m4.img so I'd use this text:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-m4.img
3. Once you've flashed the recovery go into recovery and make a backup from the backup menu.

4. Download every file from the link provided in the first post here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...nse-5-t2837799

5. You're going to have to use WinRAR or 7Archive to unzip the RAR files. You'll get a random folder and a stock recovery.img file.
What I did (or eventually did after lots of trail and error) was attached my phone then deleted the backup content in the TWRP folder. I did NOT delete the folders. Just the files within. Then I copied the extracted content from the download folder into the backup folder I'd just emptied on the phone.

6. Now drop back into the recovery again. First make sure what we did in step 5 worked. If you go into Restore can you see the files we generated earlier? Brilliant. Wipe the cache, factory and delvik (I think Delvik is in the advanced settings, obviously don't have it to hand now i'm back on stock!)

7. Now run a restore which should take a few minutes.

8. Reboot the phone but drop straight back into the Bootloader (power and volume down button pressed)

9. If you haven't copied boot.emmc.win into the ADB folder do so now. Whilst you're at it copy the stock recovery.img file into the same folder and rename it to stockrecovery (take the space out).
From a CMD prompt type :
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.emmc.win/
10. Now we flash the Stock recovery using:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery stockrecovery.img
11. Now relock the OEM thingy by using
Code:
fastboot oem lock
BAM! You're back to a stock albeit a really crappy version based somewhere in the Middle East. But fear not. Boot in, setup your phone and in the Settings area you can run a software update. This will take you to Android 4.3. Once you're in run another software update to go to 4.4.2 with Sense 5.5. Once you've done that do yet another Software Update to get to 4.4.2 with Sense 6.
At this point I did a factory reset from the settings menu. Not sure if it was needed but just wanted any legacy crap completely killing off.
Also you'll see a message about it being a test device. I Google'd it and people said this is because you're S-OFF. It's not important. Nothing is going to HTC, it's merely a log file thingy.

And that my friend, is how my three day headache got me from a rather buggy custom ROM back to Stock. Enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elmuziko For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
elmuziko.
Absolutely brilliant post. I can verify that your method to s-off the phone and update to 2.22 works perfectly. I did it 2 days ago.
I changed my cid using supercid. Do you think I should return my cid to its original value before attempting to return to stock or does it matter??
22nd August 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

28 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danapoint

elmuziko.
Absolutely brilliant post. I can verify that your method to s-off the phone and update to 2.22 works perfectly. I did it 2 days ago.
I changed my cid using supercid. Do you think I should return my cid to its original value before attempting to return to stock or does it matter??

Hiya mate

I didn't do any of that at all, although I didn't change my CID knowingly so if it did change, I didn't change it back.
Been on stock a week now with no problems whatsoever. Working like a dream.

Cheers
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread