No registration required

[Q] Boot loop and can't find appropriate boot.img

OP tpsnjs

23rd August 2014, 07:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
Hi

I've been given a One X (he bought an M8) and I thought I'd easily put on KK 4.4.4, but I have hit a brick wall.

It was running ViperX 2.6.0 with Hboot 0.95, and it's S-ON.

Well 4.4.4 needs a Hboot above 1.28, so the flashing failed.

So I did my homework and got the CID (it's HTC-023) to install the firmware so that I could update the Hboot via OTA.

So I installed the boot.img for the HTC-023 firmware and that (of course) was a an error as I didn't have a copy of the boot.img for the ViperX 2.6.0.

Then the firmware was a .rar file and didn't install anyrate.

So now it's in bootloop.

I have not been able to find a copy of ViperX 2.6.0 to extract the required boot.img

I've got TWRP with Sideloader installed, and ADB works fine.

So I am stuck (like my One X really) so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by tpsnjs; 23rd August 2014 at 07:50 AM.
24th August 2014, 01:11 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
Solution
I thought I should post the solution.

The essential problem was to get a Hboot 1.28 or higher so that a new version of Cyanogenmod could be installed.

On this page http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57376&page=189 is the following from ClydeB1

To flash you need to run the following commands: (It is advised to take a backup of your data and important files on your sd card)
1. Lock bootloader - fastboot oem lock
2. Boot to RUU mode - fastboot oem rebootRUU
3. Flash firmware - fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (if you get an error then rerun this command)
Note: The firmware will flash the new hboot, as well as a new stock boot.img and stock recovery.img.

To flash a custom rom you then need to do the following:
4. Unlock bootloader - fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin (you can use the same unlock_code file as you used previously, check your emails if you can't find it, or else reapply at htcdev.com)
5. Flash custom recovery - fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryfile.img
Note: If the unlock process wiped your sd card you may need to boot to recovery and mount usb storage to copy the rom file across again. If your phone won't boot into recovery then run command - fastboot erase cache and try again.

If you then wish to flash a JB custom rom:
6. Flash new boot.img from rom - fastboot flash boot boot.img
7. For good measure - fastboot erase cache
8. Boot to recovery and flash rom

I followed these steps exactly and it worked perfectly. I did need to use CWM as with TWRP the touch screen did not work.
24th August 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #3  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 623

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
More
and have more ease way to do this. You are with too low HBOOT and you can run RUU and then update the phone to latest JB because are you know witch HBoot you install to your phone
Last edited by Thant; 24th August 2014 at 05:04 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread