[GUIDE] HTC One M7 - Purple Tint Fix

Search This thread

RyuzakiTA

Nov 6, 2011
Hi... i would like to change my nexus 5 with an htc one, and there is a doubt I have about the purple tint....
does htc solve the problem by repairing it? Or it is just a temporary fix, with another camera module that will have the same problem ?

Kay2daCee

Jun 24, 2013
Hi... i would like to change my nexus 5 with an htc one, and there is a doubt I have about the purple tint....
does htc solve the problem by repairing it? Or it is just a temporary fix, with another camera module that will have the same problem ?

I think HTC also uses the OV module to fix it. Haven't heard about any problems after the repair.

this one? http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-htc-one-rear-facing-camera.html
paid 50$ for the camera module?
they asking for additional USD $21.41 for shipping.

Yes it's this one. The thing is, you can keep trying to buy from other websites and hope to get lucky, or you buy it straight from etradesupply which is a guaranteed OV module.

Kukubski

Oct 31, 2012

If your HTC One M7 is still under warranty HTC should replace the faulty camera module free of charge. At least in the UK they do.

rajackar

Feb 19, 2009
Utrecht
Just got mine back from HTC repair. Camera is working perfectly now. Device has been rooted and had custom recovery but I ran a RUU and relocked before sending it off. No questions about tampered and relocked status :)

eternasparta

Apr 1, 2011

garrido135

Mar 25, 2014
question

hello i have similar problem. i search camera and find this
ebay.com/itm/Main-Rear-Back-Camera-Module-Flex-Cable-Parts-For-HTC-One-M7-801e-801n-K0TG-/311258825312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487878c260[/url]
and
es.aliexpress.com/item/Back-Rear-Facing-Camera-for-HTC-One-M7-Original-new-Free-shipping/32242205804.html[/url]
is good or bad.
thanks.

lebmb

Apr 3, 2007
Washington, DC
hello i have similar problem. i search camera and find this
ebay.com/itm/Main-Rear-Back-Camera-Module-Flex-Cable-Parts-For-HTC-One-M7-801e-801n-K0TG-/311258825312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487878c260[/url]
and
es.aliexpress.com/item/Back-Rear-Facing-Camera-for-HTC-One-M7-Original-new-Free-shipping/32242205804.html[/url]
is good or bad.
thanks.

I was actually just about to post that i spoke to them and they said the part number on the actual camera is the same as in the picture ending in 402 so i ordered it. we shall see. it's around $20 with shipping. I'll post back when I get it. I think normally when I order from China on ebay it takes about 2 weeks.
To be continued...

letmeknov

Feb 4, 2015
Good day. I would like to get one camera module to replace my faulty one, but I got few questions before pulling the trigger. After reading this thread it seems that I need an OmniVision module to get rid of purple tint. Thanks to this thread I found some links with OmniVision camera modules for sale, and got quite confused about which module is the best and compatible with my phone. Some shops are stating that their modules support HTC One '801e 802t 802d 802w', some stating '801E/S/N 802t 802d 802w', while the others does not mention any model code at all. Is it true that some OmniVision modules might not work with specific HTC One M7 models? My HTC is 801s.

And one more thing I would like to make clear. Looking at the pictures of these camera modules from different shops the second number below the 13P1BS402 is different. I am sorry, I can't add links yet, because this is my first post here, but some of these numbers are: M1432B1.0, M1408B1.0, Y1425B1.0, Y1344A1.0. If anyone knows what does this number mean, and how it is affecting the module itself?

Any information is highly appreciated!

:)

deeevan

Mar 22, 2013
@Semseddin I got a perfect looking phone. Pretty sure they replaced the whole back and sides. Some glue on the speaker grill edges, but that was easy to scrape off

Reactions: Semseddin

Dac0908

Dec 11, 2009
Yes, out of 24 there are just 3 months warranty to go and I just got camera replaced - no more purple tint! I also had at least one dead UltraPixel. Backside includes sides and that white plastic which got pretty yellow, now looks like a new phone! Because there are no scratches on display so it's nice. They also replaced USB board for some reason, don't know why but it says so in the report.

Of course, things cannot be so simple. Got it back with malfunctioning microphone, cannot make calls unless on speakerphone or headset. :mad: And microphone is located where? On USB board which they replaced! https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494 (step 18). Damn.

Sorry if this is not the right thread!
My HTC One has the purple tint, but it has been doing ok picture and videowise in daylight until recently. Since then video became odly scrambled with some coloured patterns, spots, mirrored images etc. I wanted to attach a video for illustration, but I don't have sufficient publications to be able to add it. It is on youtube on this address "youtu.be/IZa48RxNBHY". While you are filming the picture on the screen looks OK. It is the recorded video that is affected.
My question is is this a camera problem or some software/other hardware fail. Would that be caused by the same termal problem that causes the purple tint? Do I need to replace the camera or the fix, dicussed in this thread will fix the video problem too?
Thanks a lot to everyone that has an advise for me!

Nov 22, 2012
Camera has been bad for a while so with nerves of steel and giant balls I ripped into the phone with guitar picks, a single screwsdriver, a laptop, 4 hours, and the tact or a surgeon.

Kind of seems to work. Will be some time before the thermal paste sets up. Here are some test images. They include a shot of the phone disassembled, but the phone itself is taking the picture. There is also a shot of the thermal paste used.

http://i.imgur.com/EbSoQ2x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DgbVyzZ.jpg
Subjectively it seems better. Darker shots look more like they did after a trip to the freezer with the thermal paste applied. Oh well best of luck.

e: couple hours later, phone has had time to cool somewhat. still not great in low-light, but definitely better (what was i expecting, a canon?). the minimum amount of light needed to take a picture of acceptable quality has lowered somewhat resulting in better quality photos from flash photography, or otherwise in less-than-ideal lighting conditions. a hot phone still seems to precipitate the worst of the malfunction, but overall the function is better with the fix. mission accomplished. i think that probably thermal paste is a much better solution than copper tape as well, personally, since the copper tape that was already there seems taut.

not any serious visible damage from the disassembly and reassembly process. didn't bother re-applying the tape, and the volume rocker isn't quite in the same place, but everything still works, and looks good. upper speaker is in a slightly different position, which was startling the first time i pulled down the notifications / quick settings, but really not a big deal. strange that the strength of the bonds from the front case to the rear case is stronger than that of the front case to itself, there's something wrong with that design. i use a battery case that provides some marginal bump protection, which the phone would probably needs (even without modification), though i also used the phone naked for some time... the phone once fell about 3.5 feet from a coffee table onto hard industrial carpet once and also did some damage to the front case speaker-screen seam/interface, on the bottom of the phone. little irritating, my fingers could feel it but it wasn't really visible. strange that the aesthetic appeal of the phone for me falls more to touch than to appearance. the inspire 4g was a brick compared to this thing, a makeup compact.

minor nicks and warped aluminum and plastic aside, using a slow-gentle touch with a guitar pick, a hair dryer, and some patient observation i managed to disassemble and reassemble without any of the serious mangling i've seen on youtube of the earliest dissemblers (or people who were in a panicked rush.) make sure the pick is in the right place, and give the glue time to separate. if you aren't making progress get in their at a steeper angle, you should get maybe 3-4 mm of pick stuck in each side. don't fret if the speakers don't separate from the rear-case like the rubber runners on the front case do, once you get the bottom speaker separated, apply force there and in short order the top speaker, the left case will come unbonded. i plan on revisiting the rocker too. the only bit i haven't tested is NFC, but i figure either it will be fine or i just won't use it, since it really isn't something i've got the opportunity to use much anyway.

so like this:

1.) apply plectrum between rear case and front case
2.) wedge it in until it sits comfortable
3.) slowly, like you're unzipping a glue zipper, move the pick further in from the volume rocker
4.) if you find the plectrum isn't far in enough (it will be expelled from the case with force) repeat step 1, only a bit deeper, and at a sharper angle towards the inside of the rear case
5.) repeat until all 4 sides of the case are no longer bonded.

this will take a while, but if you follow my advice it should minimize changes to the seams and bent plastic or metal. you can only move as fast as the glue comes off, if you try and move any faster then you're just going to damage the case, so just take your time. sorry, phone repair entrepreneurs.

shame that HTC didn't have the time to read the data sheet for this camera and do some basic thermal analysis before assembling this device. i'll probably stick with HTC though since their software isn't too malicious to just use or replace, their builds don't tend to be fragile, and also i respect a company that releases rap videos. anyway this sort of turned into a blog. keep calm and plectrum on.

e2: if you look at the picture of the inside of the phone, the GPS cable is disconnected. opened the phone again, lost a fleck of rubber runner just below the top speaker which is a shame and looks cruddy. the usb port isn't in quite the same place. i also bent the volume rocker slightly, though it still functions acceptably. anyway, camera still seems a bit better though i wish i'd squirted in more thermal paste. open this phone as little as you need to. the best way to fix this is probably a replacement camera module, instead of the thermal fix suggested in the OP, unless you just bought the phone, and it isn't doing it yet.

Last edited:

e11world

Nov 2, 2010
www.e11world.com
I got mine fixed

I GOT MINE FIXED :)

Instead of re-typing everything, I'll post a link to it here. Sorry people but I love XDA too so this is why I'm trying to help my fellow developers/htc owners.
To make it short and sweet, here's the summary.

1. Call/Email HTC, tell them the issue, be agressive a bit, get a ticket number & make sure FutureTel or HTC will contact you for the next step
  2. Wait a couple of days or so, FutureTel will email you with their ticket number, call them, double check
  3. Back up, format then send your phone
  4. If they say you need to pay, DON'T. HTC needs to do this.
  5. Enjoy your new camera.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...purple-tint-thermal-defect-6.html#post4239592

Rocker19943

Mar 13, 2012
Frankfurt
Hi, im really sorry if im repeating something that has been told 10000 items in this thread. I saw that you guys were ordering cameras from online stores, can somebody of you that received a working one give me a link to that product so i can get one for me too?

Also i saw that this one was working fine but its out of sale: http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171166536403

Last edited:

bartch

Jun 2, 2006
Only buy the module which has 13P1BS402 on it, its from Omnivision and discussed a lot here in earlier posts on this thread.
You better not buy from ebay, because the images of the numbers on those camera-modules aren't always accurate.
I bought one here in the Netherlands from a store, but had the same purple issue. Now i ordered one from Etradesupply, but because it's Chinese Newyear, all the chinese shops are on holliday for a couple of weeks...

Dynafix, the official repair store in the Netherlands won't sell me a seperate camera module or give me any information at all about which module to get..(because i am unauthorized to repair HTC phones..)
Good luck with finding the right module, i think there are only one or two suppliers with the new type camera module.
grtz
Bart

Reactions: Rocker19943

iamisraeli

Oct 12, 2013
I agree, don't buy at eBay. I tried 3 different modules from 3 different sellers on eBay, they all come with the same problem. so I just Googled that serial number and found some seller on aliexpress she wants about 25$ include the international shipping with a tracking info and she accepted my PayPal payment as well just PM her.

The link: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6453807472.html?orderId=65471347376203

Replaced the camera and I can confirm it working wonderful. the size of the module a bit different a little bigger but still fit well even with that metallic cover.
The feeling like I have a completely new phone also replaced the battery and upgraded to lollipop.

Here is 4 pictures as example with the new module.
the pictures were taken at 30 Celsius room temperature (pretty warm because of the air con!)
3 pictures was taken at medium room light (the pictures previously was a bit purple all around!)
and the last picture when I am covering the module with my hand. as you can see it completely black as it suppose to be!

Attachments

• IMAG1526.jpg
    IMAG1526.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 858
  • IMAG1528.jpg
    IMAG1528.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 822
  • IMAG1524.jpg
    IMAG1524.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 825
  • IMAG1529.jpg
    IMAG1529.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
I agree, don't buy at eBay. I tried 3 different modules from 3 different sellers on eBay, they all come with the same problem. so I just Googled that serial number and found some seller on aliexpress she wants about 25$ include the international shipping with a tracking info and she accepted my PayPal payment as well just PM her.

The link: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6453807472.html?orderId=65471347376203

Replaced the camera and I can confirm it working wonderful. the size of the module a bit different a little bigger but still fit well even with that metallic cover.
The feeling like I have a completely new phone also replaced the battery and upgraded to lollipop.

Here is 4 pictures as example with the new module.
the pictures were taken at 30 Celsius room temperature (pretty warm because of the air con!)
3 pictures was taken at medium room light (the pictures previously was a bit purple all around!)
and the last picture when I am covering the module with my hand. as you can see it completely black as it suppose to be!
So all you did was replace the camera? No copper tape?

iamisraeli

Oct 12, 2013
So all you did was replace the camera? No copper tape?

With the tape but just as it was originally covered by htc.
Actually you don't need it, but I added it for extra cooling and safety...

The guide over here not fixing your problem! The only way to fix it is by replacing the defective camera module which is extra sensitive to heat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED as of 10 MAY 2015..

The final update and nail on the coffin:

I have confirmed that my fix for the camera module has PERMANENTLY FIXED the two M7s that I have applied the fix to since the date of the OP (July 2014).

"But wait!", you say, "why didn't it fix my camera on my phone? You're a load of bull!"

The answer for that is in post #110. READ. THE. DAMN. THING.

Prior of you doing the fix to your phone, your camera module has already been permanently damaged and there is no other way for you to fix this but to replace it WITH A NON-DAMAGED CAMERA MODULE, OR OMNIVISION.

Let us all be clear of that!

I am lucky that I have done (thought of) this fix before getting the camera module stuffed up.

How did I know that it has fixed it permanently?

I have recorded a video in 720p (on the 3rd of May, 2015, think what it is) from one of the phones (GPe converted, official Lollipop ROM using Google Camera, same phone that I've used on the proof video on OP) that I've got the fix applied for a whopping 1 hour and 15 minutes NON-STOP! The phone heated up alright to a staggering 53 degrees Celsius (as the phone indicates). I was surprised at this stage that the phone hasn't turned itself off automatically thermally, which the phone has on. I did see a small amount of purple tint haze when I tried stopping the recording then opened the camera app again. I immediately turned it off to cool it down. Waited approx. 30 mins to turn it on. Tried it and voila, no purple tint haze. Having to encounter this, I now have a peace of mind that I wouldn't have the issue again, and very confident that it has fixed the thermal handling of the camera module.

Having to rant and vent this out, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE (hoping for humanity) anyone posting saying that this didn't work, instead, post or say that YOUR CAMERA MODULE HAS ALREADY BEEN PERMANENTLY DAMAGED prior to applying the fix!

Worldwide disclaimer not held responsible if something went wrong blah blah blah goes here..

THIS GUIDE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY BECAUSE OF THE DISASSEMBLY THAT WILL BE DONE

Proof:

Why does it work?
    There are two things that needs to be done:

1. Increasing the amount of heat that can be removed.
    The idea is to increase the capability of removing heat from the camera module itself. And, hopefully, by increasing or re-covering the thermal copper tape with another one, the capacity of these tapes that it can handle is doubled.

2. Redirecting the heat.
    Having said the above, while still these copper tapes can only hold such amount of heat, once they have reached their limit, there is no other place to put that heat away from themselves. Then the only viable option is redirecting them to somewhere, to the middle panel.

Someone has recommended to put a thermal paste on it to improve it more. For me, this is an option, albeit if you have one lying around.

Refer to this thread for the sources of these ideas.

If there's anyone who is SCIENTIFICALLY inclined on what really is happening, feel free to share your thoughts.

Requirements:
    Common Sense

- it helps A LOT

Experience
    - of disassembling a phone. if you don't have one, then you MUST have the

Heart
    - to do it

Thermal Copper Tape
    - bought from anywhere, you tell me, bought mine from ebay

Prying Tool/s
    - bought from anywhere, you tell me

Screw Driver
    - bought from anywhere

Guitar Pick
    - where?

STEP 1
    Disassembly of the back cover
    :

STEP 2
    Tearing down the phone
    :

Refer to: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494#s45595

Follow steps, until you physically are holding your camera module.

Skip removing the battery, display module, and the front camera, all of them are unnecessary.

Summary:
    Remove the back cover.
    Remove ALL cables connected, AND I MEAN ALL.. Start from the bottom area of the phone, going up. The idea is to remove your battery flex cable (screwed) first.
    Remove ALL screws. (for noob-proofness sake)
    Remove the mother board.
    Remove the daughter board.
    Remove the Back Camera from the daughter board.
    Do the fix.
    Repeat steps from the bottom to top, opposite way.

You MUST pay close attention on what you are doing.

If you cannot do these, or doesn't have the heart to do them, I'm afraid this fix is not for you.

Make sure that when you put the back cover, it is exactly the opposite way of how you disconnected it. by starting on the right hand side (opposite of volume bottom when looking at the back of the phone), settle it properly, then pop it in.

STEP 3
    The camera fix
    :

What needs to be done:
    1. Have you read the part where "Why this works?"
    attachment.php

Note:
    You need only to RE-COVER the copper tape already on the camera module!
    DO NOT REMOVE the rubber fillings on the camera module, they are there for a reason, which is to keep it in-place.

2. Hhmm..
    Like you see on the video, make a tape roll. You know how to do that, right..?
    The tape roll must stick to the front panel AND the back of the camera module. Get it?

Credits
    To everyone who helped me on having this idea.
    If you think if you are one of them, then feel free to feel good.

Well.. Just read the sig below..

I have a better video

http://youtu.be/9FkFq_puKeI

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Just to post that it can be done.

I'm still testing the 2 M7s that I have here with the fix that came up with. I'll post this video as a proof (if enough). I'll edit this soon for the how-to. Just need to go back to work.

DISASSEMBLE IMMINENT!

Video is private
    I bought both cameras thinking they look different from original, so might be new model. I guess these Alibaba sellers counted on it, trying to sell more, because what I received from both sellers was exactly the same camera module as original. I will leave bad feedback to both sellers for misleading images.

Finally worked up the courage today to open my phone and swap the camera module. Worked pretty well, almost no scratches at the seams and my cover hides all sides anyway, so no harm done at all. Followed Youtube video for disassembly/reassembly to make sure nothing was broken/lost/etc.

In the end, its the same sensor with slightly newer date reported in sensor file, but red tint seems a lot less than before, I hope it stays this way. I'll have to take some shots in low light over next few days to see if there is noticeable improvement. It still goes red when sensor is covered.
    I contacted support from etradesupply and the sensor they are selling it's the omnivision one. Already ordered one so I'll post when i change it.
    I contacted support from etradesupply and the sensor they are selling it's the omnivision one. Already ordered one so I'll post when i change it.
    Sorry, I am going to beat you to it :p
    Just received my order from Etradesupply with their camera module, which is indeed an Omnivision model. I confirmed from the sensor file in sys folder and also the red tint is absolutely gone, the camera is working as it was supposed to work all along. Pitch black when camera is covered, perfect shots in low light, etc.

In the picture below you see Omnivison sensor on the left and original Sinesensor on the right. Omni is lacking 4 plastic rib around the lens, which is easiest way to tell them apart. Its also lacking copper foil wrapping, so you can see chips below the lens.

So, you can spend $40 + $18 for DHL shipping ( 3 days to US with tracking ) and get new Omnivison camera, or spend $20 on Ebay or Alibaba and get an original Sinesensor, which may or may not improve the red tint.

DSC_7266.jpg