[GUIDE] HTC One M7 - Purple Tint Fix

OP Skanob

5th February 2015, 12:27 AM   |  #211  
Thanks Meter: 163

486 posts
@Semseddin I got a perfect looking phone. Pretty sure they replaced the whole back and sides. Some glue on the speaker grill edges, but that was easy to scrape off
The Following User Says Thank You to deeevan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2015, 01:36 PM   |  #212  
Thanks Meter: 62

363 posts
More
Yes, out of 24 there are just 3 months warranty to go and I just got camera replaced - no more purple tint! I also had at least one dead UltraPixel. Backside includes sides and that white plastic which got pretty yellow, now looks like a new phone! Because there are no scratches on display so it's nice. They also replaced USB board for some reason, don't know why but it says so in the report.

Of course, things cannot be so simple. Got it back with malfunctioning microphone, cannot make calls unless on speakerphone or headset. And microphone is located where? On USB board which they replaced! https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494 (step 18). Damn.
7th February 2015, 02:37 PM   |  #213  
Flag Велико Търново
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Sorry if this is not the right thread!
My HTC One has the purple tint, but it has been doing ok picture and videowise in daylight until recently. Since then video became odly scrambled with some coloured patterns, spots, mirrored images etc. I wanted to attach a video for illustration, but I don't have sufficient publications to be able to add it. It is on youtube on this address "youtu.be/IZa48RxNBHY". While you are filming the picture on the screen looks OK. It is the recorded video that is affected.
My question is is this a camera problem or some software/other hardware fail. Would that be caused by the same termal problem that causes the purple tint? Do I need to replace the camera or the fix, dicussed in this thread will fix the video problem too?
Thanks a lot to everyone that has an advise for me!
8th February 2015, 12:59 AM   |  #214  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Clock
Camera has been bad for a while so with nerves of steel and giant balls I ripped into the phone with guitar picks, a single screwsdriver, a laptop, 4 hours, and the tact or a surgeon.

Kind of seems to work. Will be some time before the thermal paste sets up. Here are some test images. They include a shot of the phone disassembled, but the phone itself is taking the picture. There is also a shot of the thermal paste used.

http://i.imgur.com/EbSoQ2x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DgbVyzZ.jpg
Subjectively it seems better. Darker shots look more like they did after a trip to the freezer with the thermal paste applied. Oh well best of luck.

e: couple hours later, phone has had time to cool somewhat. still not great in low-light, but definitely better (what was i expecting, a canon?). the minimum amount of light needed to take a picture of acceptable quality has lowered somewhat resulting in better quality photos from flash photography, or otherwise in less-than-ideal lighting conditions. a hot phone still seems to precipitate the worst of the malfunction, but overall the function is better with the fix. mission accomplished. i think that probably thermal paste is a much better solution than copper tape as well, personally, since the copper tape that was already there seems taut.

not any serious visible damage from the disassembly and reassembly process. didn't bother re-applying the tape, and the volume rocker isn't quite in the same place, but everything still works, and looks good. upper speaker is in a slightly different position, which was startling the first time i pulled down the notifications / quick settings, but really not a big deal. strange that the strength of the bonds from the front case to the rear case is stronger than that of the front case to itself, there's something wrong with that design. i use a battery case that provides some marginal bump protection, which the phone would probably needs (even without modification), though i also used the phone naked for some time... the phone once fell about 3.5 feet from a coffee table onto hard industrial carpet once and also did some damage to the front case speaker-screen seam/interface, on the bottom of the phone. little irritating, my fingers could feel it but it wasn't really visible. strange that the aesthetic appeal of the phone for me falls more to touch than to appearance. the inspire 4g was a brick compared to this thing, a makeup compact.

minor nicks and warped aluminum and plastic aside, using a slow-gentle touch with a guitar pick, a hair dryer, and some patient observation i managed to disassemble and reassemble without any of the serious mangling i've seen on youtube of the earliest dissemblers (or people who were in a panicked rush.) make sure the pick is in the right place, and give the glue time to separate. if you aren't making progress get in their at a steeper angle, you should get maybe 3-4 mm of pick stuck in each side. don't fret if the speakers don't separate from the rear-case like the rubber runners on the front case do, once you get the bottom speaker separated, apply force there and in short order the top speaker, the left case will come unbonded. i plan on revisiting the rocker too. the only bit i haven't tested is NFC, but i figure either it will be fine or i just won't use it, since it really isn't something i've got the opportunity to use much anyway.

so like this:

1.) apply plectrum between rear case and front case
2.) wedge it in until it sits comfortable
3.) slowly, like you're unzipping a glue zipper, move the pick further in from the volume rocker
4.) if you find the plectrum isn't far in enough (it will be expelled from the case with force) repeat step 1, only a bit deeper, and at a sharper angle towards the inside of the rear case
5.) repeat until all 4 sides of the case are no longer bonded.

this will take a while, but if you follow my advice it should minimize changes to the seams and bent plastic or metal. you can only move as fast as the glue comes off, if you try and move any faster then you're just going to damage the case, so just take your time. sorry, phone repair entrepreneurs.

shame that HTC didn't have the time to read the data sheet for this camera and do some basic thermal analysis before assembling this device. i'll probably stick with HTC though since their software isn't too malicious to just use or replace, their builds don't tend to be fragile, and also i respect a company that releases rap videos. anyway this sort of turned into a blog. keep calm and plectrum on.

e2: if you look at the picture of the inside of the phone, the GPS cable is disconnected. opened the phone again, lost a fleck of rubber runner just below the top speaker which is a shame and looks cruddy. the usb port isn't in quite the same place. i also bent the volume rocker slightly, though it still functions acceptably. anyway, camera still seems a bit better though i wish i'd squirted in more thermal paste. open this phone as little as you need to. the best way to fix this is probably a replacement camera module, instead of the thermal fix suggested in the OP, unless you just bought the phone, and it isn't doing it yet.
Last edited by stunninginspiringrevelati; 9th February 2015 at 05:46 AM. Reason: updates x2
18th February 2015, 10:50 PM   |  #215  
Thanks Meter: 2

52 posts
More
Thumbs up I got mine fixed
I GOT MINE FIXED

Instead of re-typing everything, I'll post a link to it here. Sorry people but I love XDA too so this is why I'm trying to help my fellow developers/htc owners.
To make it short and sweet, here's the summary.
  1. Call/Email HTC, tell them the issue, be agressive a bit, get a ticket number & make sure FutureTel or HTC will contact you for the next step
  2. Wait a couple of days or so, FutureTel will email you with their ticket number, call them, double check
  3. Back up, format then send your phone
  4. If they say you need to pay, DON'T. HTC needs to do this.
  5. Enjoy your new camera.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ml#post4239592
19th February 2015, 12:59 PM   |  #216  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 24

166 posts
Hi, im really sorry if im repeating something that has been told 10000 items in this thread. I saw that you guys were ordering cameras from online stores, can somebody of you that received a working one give me a link to that product so i can get one for me too?

Also i saw that this one was working fine but its out of sale: http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171166536403
Last edited by Rocker19943; 19th February 2015 at 01:14 PM.
19th February 2015, 01:43 PM   |  #217  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Only buy the module which has 13P1BS402 on it, its from Omnivision and discussed a lot here in earlier posts on this thread.
You better not buy from ebay, because the images of the numbers on those camera-modules aren't always accurate.
I bought one here in the Netherlands from a store, but had the same purple issue. Now i ordered one from Etradesupply, but because it's Chinese Newyear, all the chinese shops are on holliday for a couple of weeks...

Dynafix, the official repair store in the Netherlands won't sell me a seperate camera module or give me any information at all about which module to get..(because i am unauthorized to repair HTC phones..)
Good luck with finding the right module, i think there are only one or two suppliers with the new type camera module.
grtz
Bart
The Following User Says Thank You to bartch For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2015, 02:08 PM   |  #218  
Thanks Meter: 8

28 posts
I agree, don't buy at eBay. I tried 3 different modules from 3 different sellers on eBay, they all come with the same problem. so I just Googled that serial number and found some seller on aliexpress she wants about 25$ include the international shipping with a tracking info and she accepted my PayPal payment as well just PM her.

The link: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...65471347376203

Replaced the camera and I can confirm it working wonderful. the size of the module a bit different a little bigger but still fit well even with that metallic cover.
The feeling like I have a completely new phone also replaced the battery and upgraded to lollipop.

Here is 4 pictures as example with the new module.
the pictures were taken at 30 Celsius room temperature (pretty warm because of the air con!)
3 pictures was taken at medium room light (the pictures previously was a bit purple all around!)
and the last picture when I am covering the module with my hand. as you can see it completely black as it suppose to be!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1526.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	3173494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1528.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	3173495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1524.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	3173496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1529.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	3173497  
Last edited by iamisraeli; 19th February 2015 at 02:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamisraeli For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2015, 01:06 AM   |  #219  
Flag Riverdale,GA
Thanks Meter: 76

913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamisraeli

I agree, don't buy at eBay. I tried 3 different modules from 3 different sellers on eBay, they all come with the same problem. so I just Googled that serial number and found some seller on aliexpress she wants about 25$ include the international shipping with a tracking info and she accepted my PayPal payment as well just PM her.

The link: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...65471347376203

Replaced the camera and I can confirm it working wonderful. the size of the module a bit different a little bigger but still fit well even with that metallic cover.
The feeling like I have a completely new phone also replaced the battery and upgraded to lollipop.

Here is 4 pictures as example with the new module.
the pictures were taken at 30 Celsius room temperature (pretty warm because of the air con!)
3 pictures was taken at medium room light (the pictures previously was a bit purple all around!)
and the last picture when I am covering the module with my hand. as you can see it completely black as it suppose to be!

So all you did was replace the camera? No copper tape?
20th February 2015, 01:40 AM   |  #220  
Thanks Meter: 8

28 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusS4gFreak

So all you did was replace the camera? No copper tape?

With the tape but just as it was originally covered by htc.
Actually you don't need it, but I added it for extra cooling and safety...

The guide over here not fixing your problem! The only way to fix it is by replacing the defective camera module which is extra sensitive to heat.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread