Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can't use ADB - no android no usb debugging, help!

OP edesider

21st August 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
This is my first time to post though I have been reading posts, so please bear wth me.
My problem:

I have HTC One. Everything was wiped out. No Android. When it boots, it goes
directly to TWRP. I want to SU and flash ROM, so I need ADB.
I downloaded ADB and Flashboot on my Macbook Pro. From the forum, it says
I dont need the drivers coz I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.6.8).

I previously tried to make the phone talk (or vice versa) on a windows XP machine.
Downloaded and installed Android SDK, Java, HTC drivers, and all that, but I was never
able to make ADB detect the device (adb devices command wouldn't list the device).

So now on a Mac, it still does not list the device. I suspect that it has to do with USB debugging.
But how can I turn on USB debugging when there is no Android in the phone?
How can I use ADB when USB debugging is off?

Please help. I really appreciate this forum. Thank you.
Last edited by edesider; 21st August 2014 at 05:35 AM.
21st August 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #2  
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,406

3,628 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesider

This is my first time to post though I have been reading posts, so please bear wth me.
My problem:

I have HTC One. Everything was wiped out. No Android. When it boots, it goes
directly to TWRP. I want to SU and flash ROM, so I need ADB.
I downloaded ADB and Flashboot on my Macbook Pro. From the forum, it says
I dont need the drivers coz I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.6.8).

I previously tried to make the phone talk (or vice versa) on a windows XP machine.
Downloaded and installed Android SDK, Java, HTC drivers, and all that, but I was never
able to make ADB detect the device (adb devices command wouldn't list the device).

So now on a Mac, it still does not list the device. I suspect that it has to do with USB debugging.
But how can I turn on USB debugging when there is no Android in the phone?
How can I use ADB when USB debugging is off?

Please help. I really appreciate this forum. Thank you.

you can use ADB from a custom recovery (no need to have USB debug on) or within the OS (if any installed) with USB debug ON
ADB will not work from the bootloader, so boot your phone in twrp recovery and adb push or adb sideload a rom
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
@alray Thank you so much for your response. I went back to my windows xp machine, and both bootloader and adb now can list the devices. i actually powered down the fone and turn it on again using the power and volume down buttons. when it got to the bootloader, windows xp was able to recognize it (showed up in device manager without any error) and fastboot devices listed the fone. when i went to recovery (TWRP), windows xp was able to recognize it again, and adb devices listed the fone. I was able to push an SU.zip file and installed it using TWRP. I'm downloading a ROM and hopefully will be able to install it using TWRP. Will update this post! I am new to Android and flashing and stuff but I'm learning. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

you can use ADB from a custom recovery (no need to have USB debug on) or within the OS (if any installed) with USB debug ON
ADB will not work from the bootloader, so boot your phone in twrp recovery and adb push or adb sideload a rom

21st August 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #4  
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,406

3,628 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesider

@alray Thank you so much for your response. I went back to my windows xp machine, and both bootloader and adb now can list the devices. i actually powered down the fone and turn it on again using the power and volume down buttons. when it got to the bootloader, windows xp was able to recognize it (showed up in device manager without any error) and fastboot devices listed the fone. when i went to recovery (TWRP), windows xp was able to recognize it again, and adb devices listed the fone. I was able to push an SU.zip file and installed it using TWRP. I'm downloading a ROM and hopefully will be able to install it using TWRP. Will update this post! I am new to Android and flashing and stuff but I'm learning. Thanks!

Why did you flashed SU if you are gonna flash a rom? You have to root the rom so SU must be flashed after you have flashed the rom. And btw, almosy every custom rom are pre-rooted, if not flash SU after the rom!
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
@alray i was testing adb to see if i could push the file to the sdcard and install using twrp and i did. but yes, it doesnt make sense to SU when there is no rom. The fone is HTC One (AT&T), and im downloading right now a custom rom (google play edition for HTC) which I believe is pre-rooted. I hope I wont encounter problems installing it. But this forum has been very helpful. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

Why did you flashed SU if you are gonna flash a rom? You have to root the rom so SU must be flashed after you have flashed the rom. And btw, almosy every custom rom are pre-rooted, if not flash SU after the rom!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread