Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 39,914 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] All attempts at updates via .zip fail

Tip us?

ansuzThurisaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] All attempts at updates via .zip fail

This is a weird one... for me at least.

I'm running on a two month old nightly because flashing a zip in either recovery or fastboot has been failing since then. I thought that maybe I was getting bad downloads, or my recovery needed to be updated. Then I got lazy and let it sit for a while because things have been working well enough that my weekly/bi-weekly nightly updates weren't all that pressing.

Then I heard 4.4.4 was a thing and decided to give it a go again. Well, updates still fail in TWRP without any specific error. Weird. Let's try fastboot! Nothing like the good-old brute-force method: Sending... FAILED: Remote not allowed. The hell...?

*does research*

This literally shouldn't be happening. Bootloader is unlocked. I have root. I'm 1.54 hboot S-ON (factory default from a swap, I got screwed). I'm also not having any issues with drivers or OS problems either. And yes, I'm running CMD as admin, USB debugging is enabled and linked to the PC I'm doing the work on.

By all accounts, I should NOT be having this problem. What gives? Halp? I'll provide anything you need. I'm not even going to bother wasting my time with ADB/Sideload because I'm likely going to get the same errors/failures.

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansuzThurisaz View Post
This is a weird one... for me at least.

I'm running on a two month old nightly because flashing a zip in either recovery or fastboot has been failing since then. I thought that maybe I was getting bad downloads, or my recovery needed to be updated. Then I got lazy and let it sit for a while because things have been working well enough that my weekly/bi-weekly nightly updates weren't all that pressing.

Then I heard 4.4.4 was a thing and decided to give it a go again. Well, updates still fail in TWRP without any specific error. Weird. Let's try fastboot! Nothing like the good-old brute-force method: Sending... FAILED: Remote not allowed. The hell...?

*does research*

This literally shouldn't be happening. Bootloader is unlocked. I have root. I'm 1.54 hboot S-ON (factory default from a swap, I got screwed). I'm also not having any issues with drivers or OS problems either. And yes, I'm running CMD as admin, USB debugging is enabled and linked to the PC I'm doing the work on.

By all accounts, I should NOT be having this problem. What gives? Halp? I'll provide anything you need. I'm not even going to bother wasting my time with ADB/Sideload because I'm likely going to get the same errors/failures.
  1. what rom are you talking about
  2. what version of this rom is currently installed on your phone
  3. what version of twrp is on your phone
  4. don't know what you are trying to do from fastboot, custom rom MUST be flashed from custom recovery.
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

ansuzThurisaz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
  1. what rom are you talking about
  2. what version of this rom is currently installed on your phone
  3. what version of twrp is on your phone
  4. don't know what you are trying to do from fastboot, custom rom MUST be flashed from custom recovery.
Oh my god. I'm such a dolt. Totally forgot that fastboot only flashes official zips and smaller .bin and .zip packages.

I updated TWRP to 2.7.1.1 and flashed the newest nightly and gapps package without issue.

I think it was all because my TWRP was outdated. Thanks for the reminders, fixed things right up and honestly, 99% of my problem was over-thinking things. Derp.