Prompt [Q] going back to stock - cannot fastboot boot recovery

OP xerockz

15th August 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
Trying to return my one back to stock (unlocked, s-off) to send in for purple tint repair.
I tried a few different methods involving the RUUs but never had any luck:

1. The RUU.exe for my specific phone (telus), always crashed when htc_fastboot.exe stopped responding.
2. Since there was no RUU.zip for the Telus version I extracted it out of the exe and tried flashing manually, but again fastboot stops responding.
3. Tried changing the CID to CWS__001 and using the matching RUU.exe, and while fastboot didn't crash it wasn't able to complete either (can't remember the exact error).

So I decided to use the Telus Guru Reset from htc1guru, which worked fine.
Now I need to get rid of the tampered flag and lock bootloader/s-on, but I can't boot a custom recovery with fastboot boot recovery.img.
I need to boot into recovery to either use the guru bootloader reset tool or to temporarily install superuser, so that I can manually remove the tampered flag.
Tried the latest version of both TWRP and CWM Touch, and also tried fastboot erase cache before each.
Every time fastboot succesfully pushes the img to the phone and outputs booting..., OKAY, and finished, but the phone gets stuck at the bootloader and never actually boots to the recovery (have to force power off).

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
15th August 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,079

3,988 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerockz

Trying to return my one back to stock (unlocked, s-off) to send in for purple tint repair.
I tried a few different methods involving the RUUs but never had any luck:

1. The RUU.exe for my specific phone (telus), always crashed when htc_fastboot.exe stopped responding.
2. Since there was no RUU.zip for the Telus version I extracted it out of the exe and tried flashing manually, but again fastboot stops responding.
3. Tried changing the CID to CWS__001 and using the matching RUU.exe, and while fastboot didn't crash it wasn't able to complete either (can't remember the exact error).

So I decided to use the Telus Guru Reset from htc1guru, which worked fine.
Now I need to get rid of the tampered flag and lock bootloader/s-on, but I can't boot a custom recovery with fastboot boot recovery.img.
I need to boot into recovery to either use the guru bootloader reset tool or to temporarily install superuser, so that I can manually remove the tampered flag.
Tried the latest version of both TWRP and CWM Touch, and also tried fastboot erase cache before each.
Every time fastboot succesfully pushes the img to the phone and outputs booting..., OKAY, and finished, but the phone gets stuck at the bootloader and never actually boots to the recovery (have to force power off).

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

boot recover has not worked sense hboot 1.44
15th August 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

boot recover has not worked sense hboot 1.44

I guess that explains the problem as I am on 1.57. Just re-flashed that guru reset, and checked the option to install superuser and busybox this time so now I should be able to fix the tampered flag and lock, without having to worry about booting to a custom recovery.
15th August 2014, 09:03 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

31 posts
Okay so I got it locked and tampered removed, however I cannot remove Superuser.apk, the su binary, or busybox now that my bootloader is locked (using adb shell, su, rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk). Tried factory reseting and the files are still there, not sure how I can get rid of them!

edit: I've found this old post, not sure if it's still relevant, or exactly what it's doing.
Last edited by xerockz; 15th August 2014 at 09:49 PM.
15th August 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #5  
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 245

906 posts
More
Quote:

Okay so I got it locked and tampered removed, however I cannot remove Superuser.apk, the su binary, or busybox now that my bootloader is locked (using adb shell, su, rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk). Tried factory reseting and the files are still there, not sure how I can get rid of them!

edit: I've found this old post, not sure if it's still relevant, or exactly what it's doing.

Why not just run the Guru Reset again and select stock recovery and no root.
16th August 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #6  
Flag Lucerne
Thanks Meter: 1,792

3,574 posts
@xerockz try to install SuperSU app from Play Store. Open it and let update the binaries (normal!) and if successfull, you will after reboot get able to unroot for good in the app.

tetakpatalked from N7100
16th August 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

31 posts
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting it all back to stock.
I believe the reason the RUUs weren't working was because I was on hboot 1.57.
I flashed 1.44 and then was unable to get fastboot to recognize the device under windows 8.1 (common driver issue apparently). I couldn't be bothered to try to fix the driver issue so I booted into a live Fedora usb which then let me use fastboot and flash the appropriate ruu.zip.
Now the ruu had hboot 1.55 so I was once again unable to fastboot boot recovery.img.
I ended up flashing TWRP again, trying the guru bootloader reset over and over, (for tampered and lock) wiped cache/dalvik, still wouldn't work.
Finally got it to work after fastboot format cache.
Now I was locked and no tampered flag, but still had TWRP flashed.
Tried pulling the signed_recovery.img out of the RUU zip and flashing it but obviously that doesn't work since I was locked at this point.
So I just flashed the entire RUU again, which fortunately worked even though I was locked.
Now I just had to S-ON, update OTA, and factory reset (through sense settings) and I'm completely back to stock.
14 hours of headache later and I finally got this thing reset.
It's unfortunate the return to stock guides fail to mention the RUUs don't work if you are on a newer hboot, and also that you need/can flash the RUU AFTER fixing tampered/locking.
Last edited by xerockz; 16th August 2014 at 06:57 PM.
16th August 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 3,005

6,063 posts
More
Quote:

It's unfortunate the return to stock guides fail to mention the RUUs don't work if you are on a newer hboot, and also that you need/can flash the RUU AFTER fixing tampered/locking.

beg to differ [GUIDE] [02-MAR-2014] nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock

but glad you got everything sorted out

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot, recovery, stock
Previous Thread Next Thread