Really Odd Issue

OP Leather Sock

7th August 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

46 posts
Alright, I noticed about 3-4 days ago that I was waking up in the morning to almost no charge gained on my phone. I figured my computer turned off or something and my phone just didn't get charged via the USB port. I've now realized that when using specific USB cords (Only one out of 5 that I have works without this issue at the moment), my phone charges for about 5 minutes and then goes into this weird mode where it displays the clock time as a screensaver sort of screen and it stops charging my phone WHILE being plugged in.

As soon as I unlock my phone, I see a steering wheel icon at the top left in my notifications that says my phone is in car mode. Before I can pull down to see what it is or go into the menu settings to see if I can disable it, it turns off and disables again. I went through my ROM toolbox and found no signs of "Car" or "Car Mode" applications installed since I remember seeing "Car" in most rom installations.

It's becoming very frustrating because most times, I plug in my USB cord and my phone begins to charge and then 2-3 minutes later it just stops and goes into that mode. Sometimes it's instant and sometimes it won't work at all. I don't think it's an internal phone problem though because I have a cheap USB cord I found in my closet that is flawless and doesn't bring me this issue.

What could this be? Is my HTC One on it's last legs or what? I don't have my upgrade for another year so I'm really hoping this isn't too serious. The USB cords I do own are in great condition and wouldn't all suddenly stop working at once, so I see no reason to blame those. If anyone is wondering, I'm using CyanogenMod 11 right now, but this is a fresh installation and previously was using a very stable ARHD 6.1 GPe ROM. I also don't think the rom's I'm using have anything to do with it.

I don't know much about this stuff so I'll just leave some other information if it's needed. I have the SuperCID thing done, my phone is rooted and my bootloader is unlocked obviously along with having S-Off. I'm also using TWRP's latest version.

Any help would be really, really appreciated...
7th August 2014, 02:31 PM   |  #2  
OP Member

46 posts
Also, to add onto what I said about the screensaver/car mode:

When I unlock my phone while being plugged in and the car mode turns off, my phone doesn't go back to charging unless I un-plug the USB cord and re-plug it in. This is when it usually begins to stop charging seconds after putting it in.
7th August 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 20

103 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Sock

Also, to add onto what I said about the screensaver/car mode:

When I unlock my phone while being plugged in and the car mode turns off, my phone doesn't go back to charging unless I un-plug the USB cord and re-plug it in. This is when it usually begins to stop charging seconds after putting it in.

It may be a kernel problem, try a different ROM.
Also try cleaning the USB port with compressed air.
7th August 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fain11

It may be a kernel problem, try a different ROM.
Also try cleaning the USB port with compressed air.

I've been researching it and found a few similar issues and apparently there's no fixes for it. I'm more or less stuck with this for another year until my upgrade. There's a small fix for it but it's a pain in butt to remember:

I have to turn my HTC One off, plug it into the USB for charging and then turn it on and it'll charge correctly.

I've also noticed a major decline in battery life as well. I went from 78% to 71% in 10 minutes a bit ago. Really disappointing seeing as how I've already done so much to this phone I probably couldn't even sell it let alone have a conversation with HTC about it since I've killed any kind of warranty for it so badly.

Damn damn damn damn damn.
7th August 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 20

103 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Sock

I've been researching it and found a few similar issues and apparently there's no fixes for it. I'm more or less stuck with this for another year until my upgrade. There's a small fix for it but it's a pain in butt to remember:

I have to turn my HTC One off, plug it into the USB for charging and then turn it on and it'll charge correctly.

I've also noticed a major decline in battery life as well. I went from 78% to 71% in 10 minutes a bit ago. Really disappointing seeing as how I've already done so much to this phone I probably couldn't even sell it let alone have a conversation with HTC about it since I've killed any kind of warranty for it so badly.

Damn damn damn damn damn.

Well, if u still got warrany and the phone is working, u can still claim warranty by going back to full stock.
See this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541082
7th August 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fain11

Well, if u still got warrany and the phone is working, u can still claim warranty by going back to full stock.
See this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541082

I've had the phone for over a year and I don't have warranty. Would there be a manufacturer warranty for this?
8th August 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

46 posts
I guess this issue isn't fixable and I'm just screwed. Any suggestions how I could get a new phone without an upgrade for a good deal or something? God damn it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread