Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 38,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

So confused - OTA Updates & Rooted/Modified M7 - please help!

Tip us?

SmokinWaffle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default So confused - OTA Updates & Rooted/Modified M7 - please help!

Hi all,

My girlfriend has a HTC One M7, currentley Rooted with an Unlocked bootloader, Bulletproof Kernel, CWM Recovery, S-On (can't get S-OFF no matter what I try) and running the stock 4.4.2 Sense ROM that came with the phone.

She wants to install an OTA update, obviously this won't work with the phone in it's current state. I've got experience with all of this with my Note II, but the M7 is just a whole different can of worms.

What I've tried:
  • Getting S-OFF (no luck whatsoever with any tools)
  • Flashing stock recovery and kernel
  • Flashing stock recovery and kernel and applying the OTA manually via recovery

I've read everything on here and nothing seems to go in. She just wants to be able to install OTA updates, even if it means unrooting her phone permanently as this will happen each time there is an OTA update.

Someone, please guide me in the right direction! Step by step maybe?

Keep in mind there is no way I can't get S-OFF.

Huge thanks to anyone that can help. I'd be eternally in your debt!!

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
My girlfriend has a HTC One M7, currentley Rooted with an Unlocked bootloader, Bulletproof Kernel, CWM Recovery, S-On (can't get S-OFF no matter what I try) and running the stock 4.4.2 Sense ROM that came with the phone.

She wants to install an OTA update, obviously this won't work with the phone in it's current state. I've got experience with all of this with my Note II, but the M7 is just a whole different can of worms.
I suppose the phone is trying to apply to ota update and then show a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside?

Quote:
What I've tried:
  • Getting S-OFF (no luck whatsoever with any tools) Any error message when trying to S-OFF? You must use the correct tool for your hboot version (probably firewater) + combination of the correct rom + kernel
  • Flashing stock recovery and kernel --> You must have stock recovery for ota, ota will not install using a custom one.
  • Flashing stock recovery and kernel and applying the OTA manually via recovery --> appyling the ota manually from stock recovery require s-off
Quote:
I've read everything on here and nothing seems to go in. She just wants to be able to install OTA updates, even if it means unrooting her phone permanently as this will happen each time there is an OTA update
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...76&postcount=9
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=23

Quote:
Keep in mind there is no way I can't get S-OFF.
still not sure about this, unless you get the "whelp" message from firewater...

post the output of fastboot getvar all except the imei number and serialno
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SmokinWaffle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
I suppose the phone is trying to apply to ota update and then show a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside?
Yep!

Interesting. I don't have the phone with me at the moment and it's late but I'll try to do the POWERUP + VOL tomorrow at some point, I'll get her to try stock recovery + kernel then do it and see what it's stopping at.

Quote:
still not sure about this, unless you get the "whelp" message from firewater...
Didn't get that message, just keeps going indefinetley or stops, and doesn't S-OFF. Tried Firewater, Revone, RumRunner, if there is another then I've almost certainly tried it, followed all the guides including the one that flashed Android Revolution...no idea..

Quote:
post the output of fastboot getvar all except the imei number and serialno
Code:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.25.3263.21
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: XXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) imei: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3798mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.047s
Thanks for the prompt reply, really appreciate it and any help you can give.

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 9th July 2014 at 09:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
Yep!

Interesting. I don't have the phone with me at the moment and it's late but I'll try to do the POWERUP + VOL tomorrow at some point, I'll get her to try stock recovery + kernel then do it and see what it's stopping at.

Didn't get that message, just keeps going indefinetley or stops, and doesn't S-OFF. Tried Firewater, Revone, RumRunner, if there is another then I've almost certainly tried it, followed all the guides including the one that flashed Android Revolution...no idea..

Code:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.25.3263.21
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: XXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) imei: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3798mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.047s
Thanks for the prompt reply, really appreciate it and any help you can give.
your version-main? (rom version) Go in settings --> About --> Software info --> Rom version
maybe there is a ruu you could use to restore the phone(4.19.401.9), if it match your version

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

you can also flash the stock 5.11.401.10 rom, recovery and firmware available on ARHD website

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...-site-var.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2224752

SmokinWaffle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
your version-main? (rom version) Go in settings --> About --> Software info --> Rom version
maybe there is a ruu you could use to restore the phone(4.19.401.9), if it match your version

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

you can also flash the stock 5.11.401.10 rom, recovery and firmware available on ARHD website

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...-site-var.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2224752

What exactly is the function of the RUU? I can't seems to get my head around it..

I'm guessing the ARHD steps are to try to get S-OFF?

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
What exactly is the function of the RUU? I can't seems to get my head around it..
forget the ruu, your phone version is higher than the ruu. flashing a ruu (4.11.401.10) with a lower version than on your phone(4.11.401.11) require s-off.

Quote:
I'm guessing the ARHD steps are to try to get S-OFF?
No, this is the latest stock rom(5.11.401.10) for your phone model (MID: PN0710000 and CID:HTC__001) including android 4.4.2 and sense 6.0

You can flash this stock odexed rom(5.11.401.10) from custom recovery, then flash the stock recovery(5.11.401.10) over the custom one and your phone will be stock and ready to take future ota update. You may also want to update firmware to 5.11.401.10

SmokinWaffle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
So after flashing that rom and stock recovery, ota would be ready to roll? Would the kernel matter?

What's the purpose / Difference of firmware and how is it updated? On my note II it was just choose a rom choose a kernel and off you go. This is so much more involved

alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 10th July 2014 at 01:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 917
Quote:
So after flashing that rom and stock recovery, ota would be ready to roll? Would the kernel matter?
stock kernel in included in the rom (boot.img) so if you don't flash any other kernel it should be fine.

Quote:
What's the purpose / Difference of firmware and how is it updated? On my note II it was just choose a rom choose a kernel and off you go. This is so much more involved
firmware is all the low level code required for your phone hardware to works with the software (OS)

when speaking about HTC phone, firmware.zip include HBOOT(bootloader), BOOT(kernel), Recovery, Radio and some other stuff. if you want your phone to be 100% stock you need both stock rom + stock firmware to match the same version i.e 5.11.501.10

normally, the firmware is updated at the same time the rom version is updated (from an ota update) If you flash a rom, the rom will be updated but not the firmware.

Updating the firmware manually can be dangerous is you don't know what you are doing and flashing the wrong file. You can update firmware using this command from bootloader (with the correct firmware.zip package in the same folder you have adb and fastboot):

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
fastboot reboot-bootloader
also it looks like flashing a 5.x.xxx.x firmware over a 3.x.xxx.x firmware will brick your phone. from what i see, your phone should be on a 4.x.401.x version at the moment, so it theory it should be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]