Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,472 Members 50,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing fw 5/6.xx.xxx.x over 3.xx.xxx.x

Tip us?

_saiko
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] Flashing fw 5/6.xx.xxx.x over 3.xx.xxx.x

Am I safe to flash 4.19.401.11 over 3.62.401.1 and then go to 6.06.401.1 ?

Im currently on 3.62.401.1 custom firmware by sneakyghost and want to upgrade to 6.06.401.1.
From what I read flashing 5.xx.xxx.x over gpe 3.xx.xxx.x results in a bricked One.
There's no real explanation or clarification what's a safe procedure, hence my question.

Logic tells me to gradually flash between "major" versions of fw but don't wan't to risk it..
The x.xx.401.x firmwares are WWE, not GPE right?)

donkeykong1
Old
Thanks Meter 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko View Post

Im currently on 3.62.401.1 custom firmware by sneakyghost and want to upgrade to 6.06.401.1.
From what I read flashing 5.xx.xxx.x over gpe 3.xx.xxx.x results in a bricked One.
There's no real explanation or clarification what's a safe procedure, hence my question.

Logic tells me to gradually flash between "major" versions of fw but don't wan't to risk it..
There were some bricks due to skipping major versions, so I would recomend to flash one at a time. .401 is WWE version

alray
Old
Thanks Meter 1,098

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko View Post

if you are updating your firmware by flashing firmware.zip from OTA files, you MUST do it incrementally or you WILL brick your phone. Why?
---> firmware.zip packages from OTA are not containing all the firmware files (recovery, sbl, radio, boot, hboot, drivers and much more) but only some of them. if you flash, i.e, a 5.xx.xxx.x over a 3.xx.xxx.x you will brick because the 5.x firmware was designed to work with some existing files of the 4.x firmware that are not included in the 5.x firmware.

---> the only safe way to flash a higher firmware, without doing it incrementally is by using a frimware.zip from a RUU. Fimware.zip from RUU are complete packages containing all firmware files.

see image below, you'll understand what I mean

If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot

_saiko
Old
(Last edited by _saiko; 12th August 2014 at 03:17 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2316726
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
if you are updating your firmware by flashing firmware.zip from OTA files, you MUST do it incrementally or you WILL brick your phone. Why?
---> firmware.zip packages from OTA are not containing all the firmware files (recovery, sbl, radio, boot, hboot, drivers and much more) but only some of them. if you flash, i.e, a 5.xx.xxx.x over a 3.xx.xxx.x you will brick because the 5.x firmware was designed to work with some existing files of the 4.x firmware that are not included in the 5.x firmware.

---> the only safe way to flash a higher firmware, without doing it incrementally is by using a frimware.zip from a RUU. Fimware.zip from RUU are complete packages containing all firmware files.

see image below, you'll understand what I mean

Thanks for the clarification!
Im not planning to using OTA partial firmwares but combined firmware zip files from users like Sneakyghost or Vomer which should have all components.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2365506
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2316726

In any case ill go 3.xx.xxx.x -> 4.xx.xxx.x -> 5.xx.xxx.x -> 6.xx.xxx.x just to be safe!
Tags
brick, firmware, gpe, safe flashing