Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,304 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One Will Not Charge

Tip us?

yelmelnobrainer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] HTC One Will Not Charge

My HTC One had a full discharge a couple days ago.When I got home to plug it in, it showed a blinking red LED and the battery charging animation, but didn't charge at all over a full day. I tried rebooting while still plugged in to the wall charger, which took me to the OS. From the OS I could do anything -- text,call, use Chrome, etc -- but the battery symbol had an exclamation point and the LED was still blinking red. As soon as I took it off the charger, it turned off.

I have tried Power + Volume Down, Power + Volume Up + Volume Down, and the bright light methods.

I was able to restore the phone to a previous backup from TWRP while plugged in, but the problem continues.

Any suggestions?

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmelnobrainer View Post
My HTC One had a full discharge a couple days ago.When I got home to plug it in, it showed a blinking red LED and the battery charging animation, but didn't charge at all over a full day. I tried rebooting while still plugged in to the wall charger, which took me to the OS. From the OS I could do anything -- text,call, use Chrome, etc -- but the battery symbol had an exclamation point and the LED was still blinking red. As soon as I took it off the charger, it turned off.

I have tried Power + Volume Down, Power + Volume Up + Volume Down, and the bright light methods.

I was able to restore the phone to a previous backup from TWRP while plugged in, but the problem continues.

Any suggestions?
Try connecting the phone to your computer's USB port. If it charges there, then your charger is bad. You can check to see if is charging by going to Settings -> Power on the phone. If you are using the cable from your charger to connect to the computer and it isn't charging then try another cable. It that works, it may just be the cable that is bad and the rest of the charger is OK.

yelmelnobrainer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
Try connecting the phone to your computer's USB port. If it charges there, then your charger is bad. You can check to see if is charging by going to Settings -> Power on the phone. If you are using the cable from your charger to connect to the computer and it isn't charging then try another cable. It that works, it may just be the cable that is bad and the rest of the charger is OK.
I have tried multiple cables, including the HTC stock cable and charger. When I plugged the phone into my computer, it did not show the blinking red LED and did not power up. The phone was basically unresponsive. I assume this is from lower amperage from the laptop's USB ports, but could be wrong. The laptop was also plugged into its charger at the time.

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelmelnobrainer View Post
I have tried multiple cables, including the HTC stock cable and charger. When I plugged the phone into my computer, it did not show the blinking red LED and did not power up. The phone was basically unresponsive. I assume this is from lower amperage from the laptop's USB ports, but could be wrong. The laptop was also plugged into its charger at the time.
The battery is severely discharged. Since, it will not charge via the charger or the computer it looks to be a phone hardware issue. You probably need to take it back to your dealer for servicing. Before you do that, give the connection to the laptop one more go except leave it on the for about an hour or two undisturbed. When batteries are severely discharged, it takes a while for it to recharge enough to give any indication of life.
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yelmelnobrainer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I ended up sending the phone to HTC. I had modified the kernel and OS, but figured it was worth a shot since the phone was dead and it was still under warranty.

They told me it was out of warranty due to liquid damage. I have no idea how it may have been liquid damaged, but oh well. I wasn't going to pay the $200 to replace the motherboard so I asked them to send the phone back to me.

I received the phone last week and plugged it in. I wanted to make sure I could repeat the symptoms and that HTC hadn't further messed up the phone before I took it to a local repair shop. But what happened when I plugged it in? It came to life and began charging as normal. Either a generous HTC tech fixed my phone for free or the phone needed some interior jostling to get circuits back to normal.

Whatever the situation, my phone has been good as new with all the data just as I left it. For a full week, I've had no problems charging.