Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] HTC One M7 soft brick, no recovery - Can I flash stock recovery?

OP WarInternal

24th July 2014, 09:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Apologies, I'm new here. I've got an HTC One M7 that won't boot past HTC logo. I suspect it lost power during an OTA update. I have a replacement phone in the mail, but I want to save as much data as possible.

Fastboot sees the device, but ADB does not.
"Fastboot boot [image]" fails with "remote: not allowed" (HBOOT 1.55)
Recovery won't boot, flashes a message I can't see before returning to the bootloader. Doing so also set "tampered" and "security warning".

What I guess I want to know is, can I use fastboot to flash stock recovery on an S-ON device? Or is there a way to get "fastboot boot" to work with hboot 1.55?

Results of my fastboot getvar, if it helps:

Code:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.21.3263.03
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.24.531.3
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0713000
(bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB010
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3824mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-412e361e
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
24th July 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #2  
Flag Ipswich
Thanks Meter: 23

138 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarInternal

Apologies, I'm new here. I've got an HTC One M7 that won't boot past HTC logo. I suspect it lost power during an OTA update. I have a replacement phone in the mail, but I want to save as much data as possible.

Fastboot sees the device, but ADB does not.
"Fastboot boot [image]" fails with "remote: not allowed" (HBOOT 1.55)
Recovery won't boot, flashes a message I can't see before returning to the bootloader. Doing so also set "tampered" and "security warning".

What I guess I want to know is, can I use fastboot to flash stock recovery on an S-ON device? Or is there a way to get "fastboot boot" to work with hboot 1.55?

Results of my fastboot getvar, if it helps:

Code:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.21.3263.03
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.24.531.3
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0713000
(bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB010
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3824mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-412e361e
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

Install a custom recovery, I suggest philz touch. After you have done that boot into recovery then mount your storage and get the data off.
24th July 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahun

Install a custom recovery, I suggest philz touch. After you have done that boot into recovery then mount your storage and get the data off.

Ok. So just let me run the steps (or restate my assumptions) to see if I missed anything:

1) In order to install a custom recovery I need to unlock my bootloader, correct?
2) I can do this by passing the result of "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" to HTCDev.com, and the resulting bin to "fastboot flash unlock token [unlock_code.bin]
3) Assuming the above works, and I have an unlocked bootloader, I then call "fastboot flash recovery [image]" with this image here?
4) Then I call "fastboot reboot-bootloader", and select recovery.

From there, i should find myself in the custom recovery environment?
24th July 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #4  
Flag Ipswich

138 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok. So just let me run the steps (or restate my assumptions) to see if I missed anything:

1) In order to install a custom recovery I need to unlock my bootloader, correct?
2) I can do this by passing the result of "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" to HTCDev.com, and the resulting bin to "fastboot flash unlock token [unlock_code.bin]
3) Assuming the above works, and I have an unlocked bootloader, I then call "fastboot flash recovery [image]" with this image here?
4) Then I call "fastboot reboot-bootloader", and select recovery.

From there, i should find myself in the custom recovery environment?

Yes correct but I was hoping that your bootloader is already unlocked as when you unlock it through htcdev it wipes all user data.

If you could get the adb working you could use the 'adb backup' command
Last edited by Kahun; 24th July 2014 at 03:33 PM.
24th July 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahun

Yes correct but I was hoping that your bootloader is already unlocked as when you unlock it through htcdev it wipes all user data.

If you could get the adb working you could use the 'adb backup' command

Is there a way to unlock HBOOT 1.55 without wiping user data?
24th July 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ipswich

138 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You can try using firewater. But I'm not sure if it wipes data or not.
http://firewater-soff.com
But again you need adb for that
24th July 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
More
Quote:

I don't see how since you're locked and S-ON. As your device does neither boot nor enter recovery you don't have access to ADB. It needs Android to run, the bootloader itself does only understand fastboot commands. Flashing a RUU wouldn't help you, and neither would unlocking by HTCDev.

As far as I know though - please anyone correct me if I'm wrong - does the Unlocking by HTCDev only reset all User Settings but leaves the user files intact. Means it does not delete user folders on the internal storage, althogh anything else is reset. But since I see no other choice for you but unlocking your device - by the way, procedure is absolutely correct - you might need to live with that loss.

But Hang on! I just read the important sentence that you're getting a replacement. In that case I wouldn't temper with the device right now. Because if you unlock the Bootloader and install custom recovery, you wouldn't have needed the replacement in the first place cause you just could have overwritten the system and make a clean flash - RUU or Custom. And on the other hand you might lose your warranty claims if you unlock now. Difficult choice. Try extracting the data and temper with the phone - you might as well keep it then. Or do nothing and wait for replacement but sadly lose all your data.
25th July 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmint

I don't see how since you're locked and S-ON. As your device does neither boot nor enter recovery you don't have access to ADB. It needs Android to run, the bootloader itself does only understand fastboot commands. Flashing a RUU wouldn't help you, and neither would unlocking by HTCDev.

As far as I know though - please anyone correct me if I'm wrong - does the Unlocking by HTCDev only reset all User Settings but leaves the user files intact. Means it does not delete user folders on the internal storage, althogh anything else is reset. But since I see no other choice for you but unlocking your device - by the way, procedure is absolutely correct - you might need to live with that loss.

But Hang on! I just read the important sentence that you're getting a replacement. In that case I wouldn't temper with the device right now. Because if you unlock the Bootloader and install custom recovery, you wouldn't have needed the replacement in the first place cause you just could have overwritten the system and make a clean flash - RUU or Custom. And on the other hand you might lose your warranty claims if you unlock now. Difficult choice. Try extracting the data and temper with the phone - you might as well keep it then. Or do nothing and wait for replacement but sadly lose all your data.

Well, since the broken recovery mode set tampered and security warning, I wonder if that's any better than "unlocked" in terms of voiding the warranty.
25th July 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
More
Quote:

Well, since the broken recovery mode set tampered and security warning, I wonder if that's any better than "unlocked" in terms of voiding the warranty.

I would give that a definite "yes". Especially since you state a probable power loss during OTA. So it wasn't your fault after all. And since you haven't messed anything up yourself it should be a chrystal clear warranty case. Differently if you start unlocking and flashing now. Although, as already mentioned, you could surely revive your device. But then again the replacement wouldn't be necessary. That's totally up to you.

As a thought. You could also make your Device completely stock and untempered again, even if you flashed custom recovery and unlocked now. But that can be a quite challenging task. That might be a way to at least try and get the data of your phone. If you want to try that, here is a very helpful post that you might wanna read carefully:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2358738
Last edited by nosmint; 25th July 2014 at 12:59 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread