Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Question [Q] HTC M8 to dual boot Android and Windows

OP Affableaardvark

27th August 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Hi Everyone
Just read on several sites how the latest model for Verison will Dual boot into Windows 8.1 and Android.
Is there a way to add this to the existing / original Android M8
27th August 2014, 05:02 PM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Hollywood
Thanks Meter: 9
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Where did you read that?

Theres no way they would release a verison with 2 operating systems especially when android has been widly available for the device. Theres currently no version of a bootloader that has the right environment for windows adding an android boot to there bootloader "to try and even get back to android" Unfortunetly android is open sourse and windows is not, they would have to release there sourcecode to the developing world if they wanted to dual boot with android and they wont. so its up to us to exctract it on our end to make android 's boot loader able to dual boot into windows and hopefully find a way to get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affableaardvark

Hi Everyone
Just read on several sites how the latest model for Verison will Dual boot into Windows 8.1 and Android.
Is there a way to add this to the existing / original Android M8

Last edited by FNX23837; 27th August 2014 at 05:08 PM.
27th August 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #3  
One-M8-Master's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 2,662
 
7,520 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
it's not the source code which Needs to be released...it's the bootloader which Needs to be extracted and opened to get it working on the android Version! and that's difficult unless someone like cotulla will work on it!
27th August 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
Member
Flag Hollywood
Thanks Meter: 9
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Agreed im just saying we wouldnt need to extract it if they just handed it to us to work with and i hope cotulla does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-M8-Master

it's not the source code which Needs to be released...it's the bootloader which Needs to be extracted and opened to get it working on the android Version! and that's difficult unless someone like cotulla will work on it!

27th August 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Details
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNX23837

Where did you read that?

Theres no way they would release a verison with 2 operating systems especially when android has been widly available for the device. Theres currently no version of a bootloader that has the right environment for windows adding an android boot to there bootloader "to try and even get back to android" Unfortunetly android is open sourse and windows is not, they would have to release there sourcecode to the developing world if they wanted to dual boot with android and they wont. so its up to us to exctract it on our end to make android 's boot loader able to dual boot into windows and hopefully find a way to get back.

Hi
Unable to post links but on Engadget today and anandtech
27th August 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #6  
snickler's Avatar
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Wheeling, WV
Thanks Meter: 531
 
886 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affableaardvark

Hi
Unable to post links but on Engadget today and anandtech

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/8390/h...m8-for-windows

Quote:

For some users the most exciting prospect of the HTC One (M8) for Windows may come from the fact that it shares the same hardware as the One (M8). It's possible that the developer community will be able to load the firmware from the HTC One (M8) onto the device in a dual boot configuration with Windows Phone 8 so users can switch between the operating systems as they please.

This is one of those, "Well it might be possible to if developers can figure it out" quotes. As the others have posted, there will be no absolute easy way to do this and a lot of the pains will be on the bootloader side. If someone DOES happen to figure it out, I don't see it happening for a LONG time (This also counts as hope for someone to prove me wrong ). We can only be hopeful that HTC failed to lock down something they should have done.

The HD2 was like the holy grail and I don't see that same sort of configuration happening again.
27th August 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #7  
One-M8-Master's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 2,662
 
7,520 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Htc has in m8 wp8.1 version something like s-off for android devices...in one m8 wp8.1 forum there is a thread where a guy is writing about the whole thing why it won't be that easy to mod the OS etc
27th August 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #8  
Member
Flag Hollywood
Thanks Meter: 9
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
I'm a daily "hourly" reader of engadget and they have posted about the version with windows but Verison is not releasing a dual boot version it is up to us to make that happen! Read alittle more carfully before making assumptions. Its possible "maybe" but its allot of work as snickler said its saying whats possible not whats out. Also im with One-M8-Master on this one, check out the thread it should clear a few things up on the boot loader side. lets all hope someone gets lucky and does it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Affableaardvark

Hi
Unable to post links but on Engadget today and anandtech

29th August 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
82 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
if i can get my hands in cab updates for the m8 i can Extract the uefi binary volume capsule into individual efi executables

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
2nd September 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilledcheesesandwich

if i can get my hands in cab updates for the m8 i can Extract the uefi binary volume capsule into individual efi executables

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app


In another thread, this has been released. here

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes