Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One - Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card

Tip us?

Yotam.B
Old
(Last edited by Yotam.B; 17th December 2013 at 01:05 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] HTC One - Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card

Hey,

I purchased the Swiftkey.
after the update to 4.4.2 it stopped working and after reinstalling He wrote me a message that the installation failed.

Quote:
Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card
I have searched all over the internet and found two possible solutions, which don't work. These solutions were:
  • Unmount the SD card. Install app, remount the SD card. This won't work as the HTC One does not have an SD card
  • In the secure/asec folder, find and delete "smdl2tmp1.asec". Although I found the folder, it was empty and therefore I was unable to delete the file.

*Before update Swiftkey is worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-17 07.02.42.png
Views:	532
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	2459742  

legobane
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This same thing is happening to me on my One with 4.4.2, none of my purchased apps installed before the update appear and I can't reinstall any of them. Tried both of those, didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotam.B View Post
Hey,

I purchased the Swiftkey.
after the update to 4.4.2 it stopped working and after reinstalling He wrote me a message that the installation failed.

I have searched all over the internet and found two possible solutions, which don't work. These solutions were:
  • Unmount the SD card. Install app, remount the SD card. This won't work as the HTC One does not have an SD card
  • In the secure/asec folder, find and delete "smdl2tmp1.asec". Although I found the folder, it was empty and therefore I was unable to delete the file.

*Before update Swiftkey is worked.

danbryan80
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same thing is happening with my HTC one Google play edition 4.4.2.

I did a mass install from the playstore, and all of a sudden i start getting flooded with "Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card" errors. I looked for the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file and had no luck finding it.

a df of the system shows free space on all partitions: http://i.imgur.com/4IiVLjy.png

I was able to 'adb install rootexplorer.apk' and it was successfull, but the update from the playstore gives the above error.

Yotam.B
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I did not understand, you can find the file smdl2tmp1.asec?
And what command you noted in the screenshot you attached?

sonicdeathmunky
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm having the same issue. Updated HTC One GPE to 4.4.2 and noticed that some of my apps were missing. I tried to download again from the Play Store, only to receive the "Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card" error message popup.

danbryan80
Old
Thanks Meter 0
For what it's worth.. I switched to CM 11 4.2.2 (nightlies) and the storage error went away. I would still love to know whats causing the error in the Google play edition rom.

artmunkie
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I posted this in another thread but I figured I would repeat it here since there seems to be a lot of people having this problem.

I had tried all of the methods on the web to fix it but none of them applied to the HTC One. The only way I was able to get rid of the error was to flash the 4.4.2 update using the stock recovery. I had tried with TWRP three times but everytime I kept getting that error message with a bunch of my apps.

big_kitch
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmunkie View Post
I posted this in another thread but I figured I would repeat it here since there seems to be a lot of people having this problem.

I had tried all of the methods on the web to fix it but none of them applied to the HTC One. The only way I was able to get rid of the error was to flash the 4.4.2 update using the stock recovery. I had tried with TWRP three times but everytime I kept getting that error message with a bunch of my apps.
Yes there seem to be two threads running on this. I have the same problem that I posted on the other thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48618286

I too have TWRP so I wonder if it is related to that?

Nick

danbryan80
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Update: I was flashed sinlessrom (Google play edidtion 4.2.2) with TWRP, and ran into 0 storage issues. It sounds like it's not related to 4.2.2 directly, but maybe the 4.2.2 OTA update bundled by HTC?

kampa133
Old
(Last edited by kampa133; 24th February 2014 at 07:31 AM.) Reason: verified issue
Thanks Meter 0
Default same problem

Just like the first post i bought swiftkey that worked on 4.4 and after the OTA 4.4.2 i can not install it anymore.

Now I want to install threema and it's the same...

can some one verify that it has something to do with apps we bought?

i bought another app... same issue

playstore cache wiped
dalvik wiped
cache wiped

can not find smdl2tmp1.asec which was mentioned in many boards

image: d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840639568.png