Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q]Bootloader relock

OP shad0wboss

24th August 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #1  
shad0wboss's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Genève
Thanks Meter: 144
 
1,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
I don't understand one thing. Even if it's possible to completely lock back the bootloader, what is the point, since htc would know that you have already unlocked the bootloader using their bin file. Wouldn't it still void the warranty even if you relock the bootloader.
24th August 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #2  
yatindroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jaipur
Thanks Meter: 391
 
1,442 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss

I don't understand one thing. Even if it's possible to completely lock back the bootloader, what is the point, since htc would know that you have already unlocked the bootloader using their bin file. Wouldn't it still void the warranty even if you relock the bootloader.

get S Off then use " Guru bootloader reset tool" remove Tempered and Lock bootloader warranty will come back HTC won't ask you if phone show locked
If relocked is there means no warranty
The Following User Says Thank You to yatindroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #3  
majmoz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 352
 
1,202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss

I don't understand one thing. Even if it's possible to completely lock back the bootloader, what is the point, since htc would know that you have already unlocked the bootloader using their bin file. Wouldn't it still void the warranty even if you relock the bootloader.

It would seem that it would, but their disclaimer states "may or may not" void the warranty. If it is "Locked" with no "Tampered" there is always the possibility that they may not look or search to see if you unlocked the bootloader. I would rather have it look as if it was never unlocked than leave it unlocked and remove all doubt!
The Following User Says Thank You to majmoz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #4  
shad0wboss's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Genève
Thanks Meter: 144
 
1,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz

It would seem that it would, but their disclaimer states "may or may not" void the warranty. If it is "Locked" with no "Tampered" there is always the possibility that they may not look or search to see if you unlocked the bootloader. I would rather have it look as if it was never unlocked than leave it unlocked and remove all doubt!

Also, is it worth flashing or custom roms here are as good as stock. I just don't like sense, specially the lockscreen on 6
25th August 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #5  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,386
 
3,589 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss

Also, is it worth flashing or custom roms here are as good as stock. I just don't like sense, specially the lockscreen on 6

flashing custom rom worth it if the stock rom doesn't fit your needs. You'll have to read some custom rom threads and try a few to get an idea of what rom you prefer as "which rom is better" discussions are not allowed in this forum.

For your bootloader question, If you send back the phone for warranty repair, and the bootload is LOCKED (not relocked) and everything else is stock, there is 99% chances HTC will honor the warranty without any question. And even if they know that you have requested an unlock_code.bin from HTCdev.com , how are they supposed to known if you have used it or not? Maybe you have requested a code, and you have changed your mind.... HTC said that unlocking the bootloader may void warranty, not that requesting an unlock code void the warranty
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 08:49 PM   |  #6  
shad0wboss's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Genève
Thanks Meter: 144
 
1,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

flashing custom rom worth it if the stock rom doesn't fit your needs. You'll have to read some custom rom threads and try a few to get an idea of what rom you prefer as "which rom is better" discussions are not allowed in this forum.

For your bootloader question, If you send back the phone for warranty repair, and the bootload is LOCKED (not relocked) and everything else is stock, there is 99% chances HTC will honor the warranty without any question. And even if they know that you have requested an unlock_code.bin from HTCdev.com , how are they supposed to known if you have used it or not? Maybe you have requested a code, and you have changed your mind.... HTC said that unlocking the bootloader may void warranty, not that requesting an unlock code void the warranty

I see. On a side note, can i unlock-root then flash a rom (4.2.2) and then s-off? even though i'm on 4.4.2 at the moment.
25th August 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #7  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,386
 
3,589 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss

I see. On a side note, can i unlock-root then flash a rom (4.2.2) and then s-off? even though i'm on 4.4.2 at the moment.

yes you can unlock, root and flash a rom. if you want to s-off you might be able to do it using firewater s-off. If firewater fails, then sunshine should works, but sunshine is a paid exploit, don't remember the exact price, I think its around 20-25$. S-off can also be achieved with a java card (fonefunshop.com)
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #8  
shad0wboss's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Genève
Thanks Meter: 144
 
1,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

yes you can unlock, root and flash a rom. if you want to s-off you might be able to do it using firewater s-off. If firewater fails, then sunshine should works, but sunshine is a paid exploit, don't remember the exact price, I think its around 20-25$

I was wondering because my hboot is 1.57 and many are having trouble so if i unlock and then find out that it doesn't work then i'll have warranty issues...
25th August 2014, 09:07 PM   |  #9  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 1,386
 
3,589 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss

I was wondering because my hboot is 1.57 and many are having trouble so if i unlock and then find out that it doesn't work then i'll have warranty issues...

exactly....

firewater may not works (50-50) but afaik, sunshine should work (not tested it myself, better to check the official thread). In last resort, the java card method from fonefunshop.com will work. firewater is free, sunshine cost 25$ iirc and fonefunshop.com cost £14.99 + shipping to UK
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 98
 
594 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Sunshine works on all m7 phones. You may need a stock Rom or at least stock kernel but it will work. Try Firewater first but most people don't have any luck with it these days

The Following User Says Thank You to nateboi81 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes