Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ok Google hotword not working with English (US) after root

Tip us?

sam9s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Ok Google hotword not working with English (US) after root

Hi all

I just rooted my HTC One successfully and everything seems working, except a weird issue described below ...

Ok Google hotword only works if I choose English(India) as the language but then I do not get the option to check "From any screen" ok google detection.
If I choose English (US) then I get the option to check "from any screen" BUT my ok google hot word stops woking ...... I am in a fix ... can you suggest how can I have the option to enable "ok google from any where selected" , with English (India) language ---OR--- make the Ok google Hotword start working with English (US) selected. I'd prefer English (US)
HTC One | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | iPhone 4

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9s View Post
Hi all

I just rooted my HTC One successfully and everything seems working, except a weird issue described below ...

Ok Google hotword only works if I choose English(India) as the language but then I do not get the option to check "From any screen" ok google detection.
If I choose English (US) then I get the option to check "from any screen" BUT my ok google hot word stops woking ...... I am in a fix ... can you suggest how can I have the option to enable "ok google from any where selected" , with English (India) language ---OR--- make the Ok google Hotword start working with English (US) selected. I'd prefer English (US)
Download the Google Search app and re-install it.

sam9s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
Download the Google Search app and re-install it.
If I try to install google search via your link..... I get " App not installed" probably because I already am at 3.5.16 ....... suggestions

majmoz
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9s View Post
If I try to install google search via your link..... I get " App not installed" probably because I already am at 3.5.16 ....... suggestions
Have you tried going into Settings -> Apps and clearing the cache for Google Search? Then reboot your phone. If that doesn't work, then using a file manager go to Systems/Apps and find Google Search and rename it with .bak. Reboot then try to install the new APK.

sam9s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz View Post
Have you tried going into Settings -> Apps and clearing the cache for Google Search? Then reboot your phone. If that doesn't work, then using a file manager go to Systems/Apps and find Google Search and rename it with .bak. Reboot then try to install the new APK.
Clearing cache, clearing data didnt work, I used ES Explorer to navigate to system/apps but I could not find google search there. Below s the screen shot of what all google I have under system/apps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__...it?usp=sharing

majmoz
Old
(Last edited by majmoz; 22nd July 2014 at 12:16 AM.) Reason: Add information
Thanks Meter 173
@sam9s
I also didn't find it. Looks like Google named it something else.

I found it in data/data, you must delete the whole folder and then install the replacement app. The app folder name is com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sam9s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
No Bro it didnt work, I deleted the entire folder, and tried reinstalling 3.5.14 version and the app simply dos not install and says the same "app not installed".
I rebooted the phone and tried as well. This however made me re initiate the google voice search when I tried Google now, BUT unfortunately it still does not work with English (US) chosen. The moment I switch to English (India) it works, but I loose "from any screen" and "from lock screen" option. This is strange behavior, as everywhere I read its said the language should be set to English (US) for this to work ,,,,,,,,