FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Ok Google hotword not working with English (US) after root

104 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By sam9s, Senior Member on 20th July 2014, 11:00 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all

I just rooted my HTC One successfully and everything seems working, except a weird issue described below ...

Ok Google hotword only works if I choose English(India) as the language but then I do not get the option to check "From any screen" ok google detection.
If I choose English (US) then I get the option to check "from any screen" BUT my ok google hot word stops woking ...... I am in a fix ... can you suggest how can I have the option to enable "ok google from any where selected" , with English (India) language ---OR--- make the Ok google Hotword start working with English (US) selected. I'd prefer English (US)

21st July 2014, 12:48 AM |#2  
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 412

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9s

Hi all

I just rooted my HTC One successfully and everything seems working, except a weird issue described below ...

Ok Google hotword only works if I choose English(India) as the language but then I do not get the option to check "From any screen" ok google detection.
If I choose English (US) then I get the option to check "from any screen" BUT my ok google hot word stops woking ...... I am in a fix ... can you suggest how can I have the option to enable "ok google from any where selected" , with English (India) language ---OR--- make the Ok google Hotword start working with English (US) selected. I'd prefer English (US)

Download the Google Search app and re-install it.
21st July 2014, 07:08 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz

Download the Google Search app and re-install it.

If I try to install google search via your link..... I get " App not installed" probably because I already am at 3.5.16 ....... suggestions
21st July 2014, 06:55 PM |#4  
Flag Sonoita

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9s

If I try to install google search via your link..... I get " App not installed" probably because I already am at 3.5.16 ....... suggestions

Have you tried going into Settings -> Apps and clearing the cache for Google Search? Then reboot your phone. If that doesn't work, then using a file manager go to Systems/Apps and find Google Search and rename it with .bak. Reboot then try to install the new APK.
21st July 2014, 09:09 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz

Have you tried going into Settings -> Apps and clearing the cache for Google Search? Then reboot your phone. If that doesn't work, then using a file manager go to Systems/Apps and find Google Search and rename it with .bak. Reboot then try to install the new APK.

Clearing cache, clearing data didnt work, I used ES Explorer to navigate to system/apps but I could not find google search there. Below s the screen shot of what all google I have under system/apps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__...it?usp=sharing
22nd July 2014, 12:04 AM |#6  
Flag Sonoita

More
@sam9s
I also didn't find it. Looks like Google named it something else.

I found it in data/data, you must delete the whole folder and then install the replacement app. The app folder name is com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by majmoz; 22nd July 2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Add information
22nd July 2014, 08:31 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
No Bro it didnt work, I deleted the entire folder, and tried reinstalling 3.5.14 version and the app simply dos not install and says the same "app not installed".
I rebooted the phone and tried as well. This however made me re initiate the google voice search when I tried Google now, BUT unfortunately it still does not work with English (US) chosen. The moment I switch to English (India) it works, but I loose "from any screen" and "from lock screen" option. This is strange behavior, as everywhere I read its said the language should be set to English (US) for this to work ,,,,,,,,
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread