[Q] OS Stuck since drivers can't install

Search This thread

mollysue

Nov 24, 2012
Hey ho my favorite forum. I'm afraid you're my only hope.

I've been unable to update my Cyanogenmod OS for almost a year now. I feel like I've tried everything. I just gave up and decided to stick with the outdated OS but now the phone doesn't ring anymore, the battery lasts half a day and everything about the phone is laggy.

I have CM 11-20140402 NIGHTLY with 4.2.2, HBOOT 1.55 TWRP 2.7.0.0 Rooted but S-ON. I don't know how it got to be S-ON because it was definitely S-OFF before.

So I cannot install any custom ROMs because I'm S-ON. I get the error message "Error executing updater binary in zip /sdcard/cmupdater/cm-11etcetc.zip. Somewhere I was told that I need S-OFF to prevent this so that's what I've been focusing on.

First thing I do is try Firewater. I do everything correctly and everything works until the last step: /data/local/tmp/firewater. I get "error, run firewater as root. su or FU!!!!!". I did su? it went through fine,

myusernamelatform-tools myusername$ ./adb reboot
myusernamerlatform-tools myusername$ ./adb wait-for-device push /Users/myusername/Downloads/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/firewater /data/local/tmp
4390 KB/s (4522136 bytes in 1.005s)
myusernamerlatform-tools myusername$ ./adb shell
shell@m7:/ $ su
1|shell@m7:/ $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
shell@m7:/ $ /data/local/tmp/firewater
error, run firewater as root. su or FU!!!!!!
1|shell@m7:/ $

Ok fine, I can try something else. But here is the ****ing kicker. I cannot, under any circumstance, install a driver for my HTC Phone. When I connect it to my Mac, it just doesnt sense it. It charges, and I know that there is a connection there, but Sync Manager doesn't sense it.

So I finally managed to get a Windows computer. It doesn't sense it either! It makes that connection sound when I connect it, and it's under "Devices and Printers" but under "Unspecified" and there's an error message saying that there is no driver for this device. I've installed and reinstalled every file I've found, HTC Sync Manager, HTC Sync, HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe, I've tried to manually add it. Nothing works. The phone doesn't connect to any computer. Cyanogenmod installer doesn't sense it either. BUT it's listed under devices in adb.

So my question is I guess, how the hell do I install a custom CM ROM with S-ON and no connectivity to a computer except to adb? Stuff like Rumrunner/Moonshine require HTC drivers. Halp.

Danny201281

Hey ho my favorite forum. I'm afraid you're my only hope.

I've been unable to update my Cyanogenmod OS for almost a year now. I feel like I've tried everything. I just gave up and decided to stick with the outdated OS but now the phone doesn't ring anymore, the battery lasts half a day and everything about the phone is laggy.

I have CM 11-20140402 NIGHTLY with 4.2.2, HBOOT 1.55 TWRP 2.7.0.0 Rooted but S-ON. I don't know how it got to be S-ON because it was definitely S-OFF before.

So I cannot install any custom ROMs because I'm S-ON. I get the error message "Error executing updater binary in zip /sdcard/cmupdater/cm-11etcetc.zip. Somewhere I was told that I need S-OFF to prevent this so that's what I've been focusing on.

First thing I do is try Firewater. I do everything correctly and everything works until the last step: /data/local/tmp/firewater. I get "error, run firewater as root. su or FU!!!!!". I did su? it went through fine,

Ok fine, I can try something else. But here is the ****ing kicker. I cannot, under any circumstance, install a driver for my HTC Phone. When I connect it to my Mac, it just doesnt sense it. It charges, and I know that there is a connection there, but Sync Manager doesn't sense it.

So I finally managed to get a Windows computer. It doesn't sense it either! It makes that connection sound when I connect it, and it's under "Devices and Printers" but under "Unspecified" and there's an error message saying that there is no driver for this device. I've installed and reinstalled every file I've found, HTC Sync Manager, HTC Sync, HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe, I've tried to manually add it. Nothing works. The phone doesn't connect to any computer. Cyanogenmod installer doesn't sense it either. BUT it's listed under devices in adb.

So my question is I guess, how the hell do I install a custom CM ROM with S-ON and no connectivity to a computer except to adb? Stuff like Rumrunner/Moonshine require HTC drivers. Halp.
First see my post here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=54272479 to use Linux for adb/fastboot. No drivers required and you can boot it from usb so no need to install Linux on your pc ;)

Once you got working adb/fastboot we can go from there :good:

Sent from my HTC One M7 - ARHD 82.0 Using Tapatalk
If you found my posts helpful, Please click thanks :good:

Last edited:

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
(..)
I have CM 11-20140402 NIGHTLY with 4.2.2, HBOOT 1.55 TWRP 2.7.0.0
(...)
Btw s-off is NOT required to flash newer CM version, you only need to update your recovery so it support ''block:by-name'' to a newer version like twrp 2.7.0.8

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/M7_Info
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/HTC_fstab_updates

go ahead with the instructions posted above, once you got fastboot connectivity, update your twrp to 2.7.0.8 and try to flash CM again.

Last edited: