Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Pre-Updated HTC One Question

OP Leather Sock

20th August 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

46 posts
So, I received my replacement HTC One from HTC today and it's pre-updated to 4.4.2 Android and Sense 6.0. From what I've read, that is a problem when it comes to wanting S-Off in the future.

My question is, what do I do from here to get back to being Unlocked, Rooted, SuperCID, S-Off, etc. I want my phone fully up to date to the best of it's capabilities with all of this. (I never updated firmwares, radios, etc when I had my phone before and I'm not sure if that held me back any).

It's been over a year now since I've done any of this stuff and all of my confidence is gone due to the absence. Where do I start nowadays? Any particular order so I don't have to re-lock my bootloader to S-Off or to install a firmware update or blah blah.

What order of things do I do and what do I do from here? Fully stock at the moment with Hboot 1.57

Note:

I'm not a huge fan of Sense roms, so my goal is to probably use ARHD 6.1 (GPE) for my stable rom and use CM11 for my unstable AOSP rom. I want to be able to freely switch between the two without issues if possible, like I was able to before.
20th August 2014, 02:18 AM   |  #2  
Flag Sonoita
Thanks Meter: 249

916 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Sock

So, I received my replacement HTC One from HTC today and it's pre-updated to 4.4.2 Android and Sense 6.0. From what I've read, that is a problem when it comes to wanting S-Off in the future.

My question is, what do I do from here to get back to being Unlocked, Rooted, SuperCID, S-Off, etc. I want my phone fully up to date to the best of it's capabilities with all of this. (I never updated firmwares, radios, etc when I had my phone before and I'm not sure if that held me back any).

It's been over a year now since I've done any of this stuff and all of my confidence is gone due to the absence. Where do I start nowadays? Any particular order so I don't have to re-lock my bootloader to S-Off or to install a firmware update or blah blah.

What order of things do I do and what do I do from here? Fully stock at the moment with Hboot 1.57

Note:

I'm not a huge fan of Sense roms, so my goal is to probably use ARHD 6.1 (GPE) for my stable rom and use CM11 for my unstable AOSP rom. I want to be able to freely switch between the two without issues if possible, like I was able to before.

You can try firewater s-off before you unlock bootloader, if that doesn't work you can go the conventional route by HTCDev unlock first, then custom recovery and root then firewater s-off. If you can not get s-off with firewater, then you might be able to get it with Sunshine. Which ever way you go before flashing a custom ROM, do a nandroid backup and save it to your PC.
20th August 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majmoz

You can try firewater s-off before you unlock bootloader, if that doesn't work you can go the conventional route by HTCDev unlock first, then custom recovery and root then firewater s-off. If you can not get s-off with firewater, then you might be able to get it with Sunshine. Which ever way you go before flashing a custom ROM, do a nandroid backup and save it to your PC.

So I use Firewater and that makes me S-Off even though my bootloader isn't unlocked and I don't have root? I know it says it uses a "temp" root option but if I use this, will I not have a rom anymore or does it just do it in the background until I unlock the bootloader and stuff?
20th August 2014, 03:18 AM   |  #4  
Flag Sonoita

916 posts
More
Quote:

So I use Firewater and that makes me S-Off even though my bootloader isn't unlocked and I don't have root? I know it says it uses a "temp" root option but if I use this, will I not have a rom anymore or does it just do it in the background until I unlock the bootloader and stuff?

The second method will using a temporary root get you S-OFF with an UNLOCKED bootloader. You will still have to flash a custom rom and gain root. It should not effect your rom, in fact it works best on stock roms. As it says in the OP it doesn't work on all phones. You may have to use the first method. It is an option, it is your choice.
20th August 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:

The second method will using a temporary root get you S-OFF with an UNLOCKED bootloader. You will still have to flash a custom rom and gain root. It should not effect your rom, in fact it works best on stock roms. As it says in the OP it doesn't work on all phones. You may have to use the first method. It is an option, it is your choice.

Okay, so I should be able to follow all of those steps in the second option with TempRoot and my phone will still function and behave like it does right now? Reason I ask is I need my phone for work and I plan to sleep in 2 hours. I have enough time to do the bootloader unlocking + S-off, but not the rooting/custom rom right now.

If I can do this in bits and pieces, it'll be very helpful. I just need to make sure my rom will be working after
20th August 2014, 03:27 AM   |  #6  
Flag Sonoita

916 posts
More
Quote:

Okay, so I should be able to follow all of those steps in the second option with TempRoot and my phone will still function and behave like it does right now? Reason I ask is I need my phone for work and I plan to sleep in 2 hours. I have enough time to do the bootloader unlocking + S-off, but not the rooting/custom rom right now.

If I can do this in bits and pieces, it'll be very helpful. I just need to make sure my rom will be working after

Why not wait until you have ample time just in case something goes sideways on you! If you are rushed for time, that is when mistakes happen so wait until the weekend.
20th August 2014, 03:30 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

46 posts
Quote:

Why not wait until you have ample time just in case something goes sideways on you! If you are rushed for time, that is when mistakes happen so wait until the weekend.

Yeah, I suppose. I just feel so...messy with this stock ROM. I'm so used to using a ROM completely based off of what I want installed on it that doesn't use Sense at all. Oh well.

I'll get Nova launcher on there and clean it up a little bit.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread