Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] Random Slow Charging Bug

Tip us?

iarejohnsmith
Old
(Last edited by iarejohnsmith; 13th August 2014 at 04:28 AM.) Reason: SOLVED: HARDWARE ISSUE
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Solved] Random Slow Charging Bug

Edit: Solution:
After five days of testing with another charger, the problem is solved. I never would have thought a faulty charger could be responsible for such a sporadic yet consistent issue. Glad that's over with.

Original Post (just for fun):
Searching turned up a lot of other people with the issue of slow charging, but no one has given very much detail. I'm going to try to provide as much documentation as I can of this problem.

What is the "slow charging"?:
Usually the One charges from 0 to 100 in about 2 hours. But sometimes for me it goes all night without finishing. I wake up in the morning to the dismay of still seeing the orange light instead of green. ~60% charge over 8 hours.

My Stats:
My HTC One M7 is a bit less than a year old.
The charging cable I use is the one that came with the phone.
I've dropped my phone plenty of times.
Sometimes I try to plug the phone in in the dark, and I kind of jam it in at an awkward angle. Probably bad for the microUSB head.
ROM: ARHD 71.1
Kernel: ElementalX 14.2
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.3 with Holofied theme (awesome theme try it out haha)
Other stuff: Project ERA 19.1 soundmod, and ViPER4Android installed.

Details:
I had my first case of slow charging around May, and I thought it was just a fluke because I only slept about three hours that night. Then it occurred again in July, and then it came more and more frequently, which seems kind of weird. It now occurs pretty much every other day. It's like it can smell my anxiety.

Self-Explanatory Battery Graphs (notice how the slow charge charges at about the rate battery was drained the day before, while normal charging is more than twice that slope (twice the rate)):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-14 14.39.37.png
Views:	19
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2886685

Name:	2014-07-22 10.47.16.png
Views:	16
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2886686

Name:	2014-07-22 17.11.38.png
Views:	15
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2886687

More Details:
Because of the amount of times it's happened, I've run tests.
I clear all the open apps before going to bed, but the remaining "running" apps include ViPER, Dropbox, Google Play services, Greenify, Sense Input.
If I pull it out and then plug it back in, slow charging goes back to normal charging (result of one test).
Main: AT&T HTC One running ARHD by Mike1986 and ElementalX Kernel by flar2
Secondary: Motorola Atrix 2 running ICSuperCharged v7 by rdavisct (never forget the A2!)

Mickey Meyers
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarejohnsmith View Post
Searching turned up a lot of other people with the issue of slow charging, but no one has given very much detail. I'm going to try to provide as much documentation as I can of this problem.

What is the "slow charging"?:
Usually the One charges from 0 to 100 in about 2 hours. But sometimes for me it goes all night without finishing. I wake up in the morning to the dismay of still seeing the orange light instead of green. ~60% charge over 8 hours.

My Stats:
My HTC One M7 is a bit less than a year old.
The charging cable I use is the one that came with the phone.
I've dropped my phone plenty of times.
Sometimes I try to plug the phone in in the dark, and I kind of jam it in at an awkward angle. Probably bad for the microUSB head.
ROM: ARHD 71.1
Kernel: ElementalX 14.2
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.3 with Holofied theme (awesome theme try it out haha)
Other stuff: Project ERA 19.1 soundmod, and ViPER4Android installed.

Details:
I had my first case of slow charging around May, and I thought it was just a fluke because I only slept about three hours that night. Then it occurred again in July, and then it came more and more frequently, which seems kind of weird. It now occurs pretty much every other day. It's like it can smell my anxiety.

Self-Explanatory Battery Graphs (notice how the slow charge charges at about the rate battery was drained the day before, while normal charging is more than twice that slope (twice the rate)):

Attachment 2886685

Attachment 2886686

Attachment 2886687

More Details:
Because of the amount of times it's happened, I've run tests.
I clear all the open apps before going to bed, but the remaining "running" apps include ViPER, Dropbox, Google Play services, Greenify, Sense Input.
If I pull it out and then plug it back in, slow charging goes back to normal charging (result of one test).

That was fun.
The problem seems to be that your usb cable is slightly damaged, and that can make your phone charge slower, or even not charge at all. Or the outlet that you're using could be faulty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey Meyers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]