Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,225 Members 53,112 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Relocking Bootloader without Unrooting?

Tip us?

diarm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Relocking Bootloader without Unrooting?

Hi all,

Long time lurker and benefactor of all the great advice and wisdom on here. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge you share with the rest of us while we're learning! I have a quick question i can't seem to find the answer to anywhere here. Please forgive me and redirect if I'm being dense and it's somewhere else.

Firstly my One is unlocked, rooted, s-on and running ARHD 71.1
Ideally I want to keep root and my custom rom but if really necessary, I can return to stock and redo the process later.

Ok here's the issue. I didn't avail of the Google Drive storage offer before unlocking my bootloader. Now HTC are telling me I need to relock it to redeem. I'm still pushing them but just in case they hold firm:

1. Can I relock the bootloader without losing root and my custom rom? If so, how? All the guides I can find are about unrooting, locking and returning to stock.

2. If I do relock the bootloader, redeem the storage offer and then later unlock it again, is it going to wipe my data partition again?

Like I said. It's not the end of the world having to return to stock and redo, or having to flash ARHD again if the phone is wiped, but i would prefer a quick, clean and easy method if anyone has any ideas?

cschmitt
Old
Thanks Meter 1716
You can relock and still have root in the custom rom. How about making a nandroid backup, copy it off the device, relock, redeem the storage, unlock, then restore the /data partition from the backup.
<this>
The Following User Says Thank You to cschmitt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 851

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarm View Post
Hi all,

Long time lurker and benefactor of all the great advice and wisdom on here. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge you share with the rest of us while we're learning! I have a quick question i can't seem to find the answer to anywhere here. Please forgive me and redirect if I'm being dense and it's somewhere else.

Firstly my One is unlocked, rooted, s-on and running ARHD 71.1
Ideally I want to keep root and my custom rom but if really necessary, I can return to stock and redo the process later.

Ok here's the issue. I didn't avail of the Google Drive storage offer before unlocking my bootloader. Now HTC are telling me I need to relock it to redeem. I'm still pushing them but just in case they hold firm:

1. Can I relock the bootloader without losing root and my custom rom? If so, how? All the guides I can find are about unrooting, locking and returning to stock.

2. If I do relock the bootloader, redeem the storage offer and then later unlock it again, is it going to wipe my data partition again?

Like I said. It's not the end of the world having to return to stock and redo, or having to flash ARHD again if the phone is wiped, but i would prefer a quick, clean and easy method if anyone has any ideas?
I just used @scotty1223 method posted here to lock and unlock
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2475914

you'll need s-off first
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

diarm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
I just used @scotty1223 method posted here to lock and unlock
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2475914

you'll need s-off first
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmitt View Post
You can relock and still have root in the custom rom. How about making a nandroid backup, copy it off the device, relock, redeem the storage, unlock, then restore the /data partition from the backup.
that looks the best idea. will wait to see if htc get back with good news tomorrow otherwise i'll do this. thanks guys.

diarm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
i'm having a nightmare here!

first when i relocked the phone it gave me "security warning" in the bootloader and refused to let me reboot the phone or even launch recovery.
i eventually managed to get the phone working again by rebooting the bootloader 7 or 8 times and then unlocking it again with my old unlock code.

then looking for another way to get relocked, i tried to get s-off but as my hboot is 1.55 there seem to be very few ways.
have been trying to use firewater (i'm on ARHD 71) but after going through everything, it tells me "ERROR: kernel contains HTC anti-firewater patch! Try again with a different kernel".

so then I flashed the ElementalX kernel thinking that would work but it gives me the same message.

anyone have any ideas? should i try another kernel? maybe a different ROM? I've tried to restore to the original nandroid backup i made when i first unlocked the thing but that's not working either!